Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
"The Final Purge"
    #509491 - 12/28/10 06:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What the Hell are You Talking About?

This thread is about using EtOH (ethanol, ethyl alcohol, i.e. a strong bottle of Everclear) to "clean" an oil (oil, in this thread, denoting any hash that we are making with any kind of solvent or chemical).  This is simple stuff, hash-oil making-101.

It is not the intent of this thread to scare anyone away from using "dangerous chemicals"-- instead the method outlined below will serve as an optional step if for some reason you feel there may be residue left in your butane or hexane extraction (for example) that needs to be purged (evaporated away).  Also if you were cleaning up oil for eventual oral ingestion.

My favorite method for doing this is a combination of steps I learned from not only different hash forums but also from reading about purging DMT from the dmt-nexus forums.  In fact, a lot of this method comes from the Nexus; just works good for what were doing as well.

THE METHOD of the Final Purge

Your oil, residue, goo, et cetera, dried or half-dried, is mixed with just enough EtOH to dissolve it all properly.  Depending on how much you have:

1. EtOH solution is placed into a glass petri dish and set in a dry crock pot, no lid, low heat to speed evaporation of the alcohol.  Nylon or thin t-shirt cotton may need to be placed over crock pot to keep dust away from drying product.

2. If you have too much for the above route than the EtOH solution is instead placed in a pyrex dish which is than set into a warm canola oil bath to speed evaporation of the alcohol.  Nylon or thin t-shirt cotton may need to be placed over the pyrex dish to keep dust away from the drying product.

Uhhhhhmmmm, okay... But why?

First scenario would be because you have a gooey solvent extraction that you're not positive has purged completely-- you have been evaporating a hexane extraction that now is goo in a small dish.

Second would be to take a little of the iso flavor out of isopropyl alcohol extraction or quick-wash iso hash (also known a qwiso; Inverted has a great post on how to make this stuff).  Iso hash has a smell/flavor character that isn't always totally desirable, EtOH will help purge a little of that out. 

If this is done with butane (BHO) the EtOH will remove some of the desirable flavors (terpenes) that bho is able to keep, but again, it will insure a proper and complete purge of your butane.

Any oil you may want to eventually consume orally.

Also a great route to mix different kinds of hash together.

Some Hash I Made

I haven't done this much, but a few times.  The times I've made hash it's usually been working with friends making bubble hash.  But here's my favorite example of this method--

A buddy of mine made some bho which I combined with a quick-wash iso hash solution; this solution of now two-different types of hash was evaporated most of the way down (not all) than a little bubble hash was sprinkled in followed by mixing and dissolving in warm EtOH for the final purge.  The EtOH takes a little flavor away from the bho and the bubble hash, of course, but you're left with a very pure oil to smoke.

TIPS

1. Always, always test-evaporate a bit of your chemical of choice (whether butane or hexane) to ensure that it evaporates completely clean- any remaining residue is contaminants that are potentially hazardous.  Purchase something different to use in this case!

2. Before pouring your EtOH solution onto a dish to dry, you may benefit from allowing it to sit in a graduated cylinder or other similar, skinny container and aspirating the top layer away from any debris that settles on the bottom-  dry these two separately.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder