Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethe man

outdoor hempy buckets
    #502954 - 12/04/10 03:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

just curious if anyone has tried outdoor hempys? i have read a bit here and there but not a whole lot about outdoors. question is how do you get around the higher evaporation rates?  any other problems?

1. insulate and/or shade pail from direct sunlight.
2. instead of 2 inche high drain hole perhaps make it 3 +??
3.larger pails perhaps bigger then 5.
4.perhaps set up sort of one of those upside down glass bulb waterer things if gone for a weekend? basically would just auto fill the bottom rez  or would u think  a little drip bag?
5.what might make a better substrate for outdoor bucket? add more coir? less because would attract "bugs"fungi algae etc

happy to hear any input!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: the man]
    #503055 - 12/04/10 04:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't grow with hempys fwiw but I have some opinions.

1. You could dig a hole and drop the bucket into anther bucket providing insulation

3. Since hempy buckets work on wick action gravity limits how far moisture will wick up the bucket so using more than what you know works isn't advisable.

5. The guy hempy who made the hempy bucket uses pure coco with a perlite res, basically he fills the bottom few inches with perlite then above that it's all coir. I think this would work best since it will provide wick action, drainage, and hold plenty of water. I've grown outdoors with coir and am satisfied with the results. Coir is just a hard medium to beat.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: maryanne3087]
    #503135 - 12/04/10 10:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've grown basil in a similar set-up to a hempy, and just used a pale lid, that I put a hole in and used a cut running along the radius, so I could work it around the stem

Edited by kyuzo (12/04/10 10:54 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: kyuzo]
    #503198 - 12/05/10 10:47 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The guy hempy who made the hempy bucket uses pure coco with a perlite res, basically he fills the bottom few inches with perlite then above that it's all coir. I think this would work best since it will provide wick action, drainage, and hold plenty of water. I've grown outdoors with coir and am satisfied with the results. Coir is just a hard medium to beat.

The guy hempy, who made the hempy method, uses a 3:1 ratio of perlite to verm.  Unless he's updated his technique and I'm not aware of it, coco is never even mentioned in any of his threads.

I'd love to see a link if he has an update though, most of the threads you read from him talking about how to setup the buckets are years old so it wouldn't be too big of a shock if he finally changed things around.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: coda]
    #503230 - 12/05/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

He currently uses coco. You can find him on the Mr.Nice forums.

Offlinethe man

Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: maryanne3087]
    #503240 - 12/05/10 03:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkadonk View Post
"You did describe it being used with perlite/vermiculite, no?

I only recently read about the Hempy bucket. I take it from the tone of some of your responses on the subject, and reading about argumentative threads on the subject elsewhere that you don't really like talking about it anymore. In any case thank you for sharing your method."

HEMPY
What i did was give people a basic formula that works proven and told them they could use perlite or perlite/vermic and even clay rocks we called volcanic rock but i told them what i found i used that achived the best results being yield and resently showed people how i use coco in my buckets.

I am all about helping who i can thats what the canna community was about for the most places before the online one sprung up.

The reson why you may of read some of my replies being some what negitive tawards some verys from people years later saying i sed this or that when i have not to people trying to say i stole this method to even people trying to tell others this or that add ons to the method works better when they have not even used it.

My deal was simple to shear a method i my self came up with and still use shear it nothing more lots of methods out there its up to each grower to work out what they feel is best for them.

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=128&page=21

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: outdoor hempy buckets [Re: the man]
    #503251 - 12/05/10 04:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I do not enjoy reading hempy's posts.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder