Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

Loc: Someplace where no one ca...
My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain-
    #502408 - 12/01/10 06:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So this is my first attempt to grow some marijuana.
I don't know what kind of Strain I got, because I didn't bought the seeds from any on-line shop or anything.

At first, I was thinking about growing just 1, but to avoid getting only a male one, I decided to use the 3 seeds that I had. Only 2 sprouted.

This is what they looked like before getting them to the soil

The day after, they went to the soil.
I used a pre-mixed soil and I'm also using 2 blue colour CFL

1 day after getting the sprouted seeds in the soil, the first signs of the plants appear. 3 more days and the first leafs were already getting big

1st day

3rd day

By that time, I started noticing that one of the plants was growing a little bit slower, and I assumed that it had to do with the way the seed germinated, because the root was kind of twisting backwards when I got it to the soil.

Anyways, for a few days, to keep things safe and hidden, they had to go trough some hard time... the place where they were was a bit too hot and I didn't had time to take some pictures, but as soon as I could, they got to a a more ventilated place.

8th day

I kept doing as I was, giving them only light and water, 24h light cycle and watering every day, depending on the soil moisture.

10th day

11th day

Now I started noticing another thing. The first leafs are getting little yellow dots...

Could this be nutrient deficiency? (I'll post the amount of nutrients in the soil mixture tomorrow hopefully, if it has any)
By the way, should I keep spraying water on the leafs, or just the soil?
Shouldn't the leafs be kind of going up, instead of hanging down?

I'll update with additional info on the soil mixture, CFL watts, pot size and anything you need to know.

Thanks for reading :wink:

If any one can make their guess and tell me what kind of weed am i growing, I would appreciate it =p
Hope that some of you can give me some advices

Edited by KorangarPT (12/02/10 05:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
Re: My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain- [Re: KorangarPT]
    #502735 - 12/03/10 12:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They look like happy babies! Don't know about the spotting, check the Doctors Diagnosis section, they have some great pics of nutrient deficiencies. My experience is that we tend to over-do on the nutrients so you might want to back off a bit. I'm a hydro grower myself so hopefully someone with soil experience will be able to give you some insight. Definitely let people know what type of soil, nutrients, lighting, etc you are using and keep us posted. Good luck.

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

Re: My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain- [Re: Goombah]
    #502765 - 12/03/10 11:54 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I was thinking that I might be over-watering them, so, I'll try to cut them some slack and see how it goes...
so here is more information.

Soil:
They are growing in a ½ liter pots and the soil mixture I'm using is Compo Sana Universal. It as around 350 ml/l of N, 350mg/l of P and 400mg/l of K.

Nutrients:
So far, I've been giving them water only. Usually once a day.

Light:
They have been in 24h day cycle since they sprouted. I'm thinking about starting to change it to about 20h day 4h night.
There are 2 9w 6500k CFL hanging about 10cm above them. All together it is equal to a 100W lamp.

I'm missing a thermometer, humidity meter and pH meter too. I hope to get them next week when I have a little more time...
I think that's all the information I can give so far

About the spotting, it looked like calcium deficiency (check http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9620) but I think I'll try to see the right amount of water first instead of getting all fancy products that I don't need...

now for some pictures

13th day

the smaller one (this doesn't have that many yellow dots...)

the bigger one. it looks like the yellowness is spreading to the upper leafs...

and this doesn't seem to be getting any better...
We'll see how it goes

That's all I can tell you right now about them
I'll keep you posted with the latest news on them :wink:

Thanks for the help Goombah

-----------

Just found this post about the same yellow dots... probably pH levels aren't good enough...
I'll see what I can do to fix it and keep you posted
If anyone has a clue on what to do, just tell me to see if they grow happy =p

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

Edited by KorangarPT (12/03/10 12:06 PM)

InvisibleHefe
    #502803 - 12/03/10 03:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Small amount of light + Shitty Soil - Nutrients = Shitty plants

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

Re: My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain- [Re: Hefe]
    #502842 - 12/03/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

At least now I know that what I have isn't enough.
Ill start upgrading it as soon as I can.
By the way, I checked them a while ago, and although the yellow dots aren't smaller or anything, they looked happy

I just left them to sleep for about 2/3 hours and after turning the lights again, it looked like they had much more strength.
So, can any one tell me... Is it better to have the lights off for a few hours instead of 24h day? Or does each one have they're own opinion about that?

Anyways thanks for replying Hefe

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

InvisibleHefe
    #502857 - 12/03/10 06:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They look surprisingly healthy actually.

I recommend transplanting them into 3 gal pots filled with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.

Give them another week or so to get some vertical growth, then tie them down and continue to LST during their entire veg period.

Also pick yourself up a pack of Botanicare PureBlend Pro nutrients. You'll want the PureBlend Pro GROW, Pure Blend Pro BLOOM, and Liquid Karma.

If you can afford it, pick yourself up a cheap MH/HPS setup. I recommend starting with a 250w MH/HPS interchangeable setup. You can use the MH bulb for vegging and switch in the HPS for flowering. The 250w produces very little heat and even without any expensive cooltubes, ventilation systems, or carbon scrubbers, I was able to successfully complete an amazing 250w grow with no heat or smell issues using only a small desk fan and a closet air ionizer ($20 each).

If you don't want to use an HPS because of cost, CFL's are actually more expensive if you want to have enough CFL's to actually have a decent grow (I know - my first grow I used CFL's. I had roughly 600w of CFL's in my closet and my yield was less than half of what it was using my 250w MH/HPS.)
If heat is the issue, CFL's actually produce MORE heat than a 250w MH/HPS in my experience.

These are simply suggestions, and you're free to do what you want obviously, but I've had nothing but great success with the light, soil, and nutrients mentioned above.

Whatever you choose to do... good luck, stay safe, keep us updated, and remember - loose lips sink ships my nigga.

InvisibleHefe
    #502861 - 12/03/10 06:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Also, 24hrs light during veg.
12hrs light/12hrs dark for flower.

Learn it, live it, love it, blaze it nigga.

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

#502972 - 12/04/10 07:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the tips Hefe
At the moment, I'm pretty low on cash... so this will have to do it... But as soon as I can, I will upgrade it and will do my best to follow your tips :wink:

By the way (noob mistake I guess?) I've been reading other posts and grow journals and it looks like I shouldn't be using tinfoil/aluminium foil...
I'm going to take those out to see if the yellowing goes away.
The temperature with the tinfoil was around 22ºC

I'll keep you posted if anything appends to them

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #503024 - 12/04/10 12:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You can grow some very nice weed under CFLs, but 18 watts will not grow much for long. 
Also, watering everyday is too much, way to much.  Only water when they need it.  When they get dry and are light when you lift the pots.
For the amount of light they are getting and the amount of water they have been receiving, they look good. 
I would say the spots are because they are hungry, but that is a guess, because I don't know your soil or you pH levels.
Those dots are not caused by the foil.  I don't think you have enough light to create hot spots from foil.  I only see foil on your pots anyways.

InvisibleHefe
Re: My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain- [Re: muse42]
    #503162 - 12/05/10 01:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

muse42 said:
You can grow some very nice weed under CFLs, but 18 watts will not grow much for long.

He's right. You would need at LEAST 2-3 65w CFLs per plant, and those will run you about $9 a pop if not more from what I recall. Not to mention all the fixtures and ghetto rigging needed for a decent CFL setup... You're looking at around $40 per plant

Save up $175 and get a 250w MH/HPS setup. You'll thank me when you end up with 5oz instead of 2oz.

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

#503177 - 12/05/10 07:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback people
I'm going to upgrade the wattage as they grow. I know CFL isn't the best way to go, but it will have to do it cause I won't be able to get my hands on 175$ for a while.
It's a really low budget grow, and being my first time, I'm going to learn from you and from my mistakes, so when I spent the money, I'll do it in really good stuff for it to be a really nice set.
I'm going to put a 20w cfl (125w incandescent) on it. It isn't blue light, but I'll get one too.

I've been going easy on the water now, and although the leafs haven't been getting better, they don't seem worst.
I may upload some pictures tonight

thanks for the support

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

InvisibleHefe
    #503200 - 12/05/10 10:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey man, no problem using CFL's to learn.

They helped me learn immensely during my first grow.

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

#507542 - 12/21/10 07:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there
I haven't forgot about this or about my plants, I just didn't had the time or any news to update you with.
The plants have been trough some hard times and stuff (the shelf where they were  kind of fell... -_-') but now them seem to be fine.
Just a few branches from one of them started coming purple, but I'll tell you more about that later.
Lately I've been giving them some nuts and they seem happy. Although some of the leafs at the bottom are yellowish and seem kind of burn (because of those damn yellow dots), the new ones don't seem to suffer from that.
Since I have 2, I'm going on topping and extreme defoliation in one of them. It is said to make the nodes grow closer to each others, therefore, less space needed, and that's one of my problems.
Later Today I'll update you with some photos (I hope)

Take care :wink:

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

Edited by KorangarPT (12/21/10 07:10 AM)

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

#507745 - 12/21/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm glad I check on them more then once a day... Just forgot to turn the fan on and the temp climbed up from 15/20ºC to 30/35...
Anyway, it is on again so the temp will be as it is supposed to.

now for the pictures.
This is the 31st day

the defoliated one

now the other one, it was the smallest one before I believe

now I hope you can see the purple branches and at the start of the leafs

Anyone have any idea on what it might be?

I'm missing the pH meter (couldn't find it yet and didn't had that much time too look for it) but they kind of look healthy to me. The yellow leafs in the second one where already like that, it ain't anything new.

Next pictures will be taken with a proper camera, not the cellphone like all the others :wink:

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #507762 - 12/21/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Have they been fed yet?  It could be a sign of wanting food, or just a genetic trait.  Almost every plant I have grown has had red or purple tented stems at some point.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineKorangarPT
Stranger

Re: My 1st grow -Indoor-CFL-Soil-unknown strain- [Re: muse42]
    #507777 - 12/21/10 08:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They have, both of them, and only one is showing those purple branches, so, I hope it's just genetics, since that's the only sign showing
I'll keep you updated :wink:
Thanks for the fast reply

--------------------
Just go like "YEY!!!"

Edited by KorangarPT (12/22/10 08:40 AM)

OfflineThe_Enternational
Stranger

#844872 - 05/08/20 04:59 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

KorangarPT said:
They have, both of them, and only one is showing those purple branches, so, I hope it's just genetics, since that's the only sign showing
I'll keep you updated :wink:
Thanks for the fast reply

Perhaps they just wanted you to make them more appealing by defoliating them.

I do think there is a possibility it is a genetic factor too, growing a lineage of plants with too many fertilizers like nitrogen and phosphorus does not make for a good future for the seeds.

Wishing you the best in your endeavors.

--------------------
" Advice given by others

is often ill counsel. "

- Havamal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder