Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Flushing... Not so easy.
    #499408 - 11/19/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, so in the past I've tried to always flush my plants pre harvest just for the flavor value.

I just used regular tap water but this was before I knew anything in detail about water.

I've been keeping some pretty expensive aquatic pets lately so I've been on knowledge grind of water the last few months.

This all translates over to a better understanding of the growing hobby.

OK!

On with my questions.

From my understanding of flushing is to rid the soil and plant of nutrients to create a better flavoring bud.

It all makes sense but I also thought it was the chlorophyll that created that bad flavor.

So since the main nutrient involving the chlorophyll production is nitrogen, would that mean you could potentially fertilize with straight P-K like maybe 200ppm liquid koolbloom with no adverse effects?

The only reason I ask this is because with my aquatic pets I run my water through a R/O membrane that gets my ppm to 30-60 then it also goes through deionizing resin sucking the rest out of the water giving me a Zero ppm reading.

From that I build my water up.

A Zero ppm water is 5.6 pH people. Far from ideal cultivation values. That's why I wonder when people say to flush with pure water.

Does it even matter?

What are your methods of flushing?

What is your understanding on the process of flushing and how it works in theory?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing... Not so easy. [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #499411 - 11/19/10 12:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Flushing should be done with pHed water.

Pure water/zero ppm water should have a pH of 7.

I cut nitrogen first I'm going to be cutting out nitrogen half way through bloom in coco.

Chlorophyll isn't the only factor attributing to bad or harsh taste. Nitrogen and Phosphorus as fertilizer will attribute to a bad taste on their own. I would cut all nutrients for at least 10 days before harvesting esp those containing nitrogen or phosphorus.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Flushing... Not so easy. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #499417 - 11/19/10 12:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Pure water/zero ppm water should have a pH of 7.

Yah, that's what I thought.

I just researched it a little more and just found out that temp is also a dependent factor.

The higher your temp the lower the pH of pure water.

The more I think about it the more this makes sense.

The reason I couldn't use pure water in my fish tanks was because the pH fluctuates.

I always understood this as because there's no minerals to buffer the water.

This always made sense but I just realized its only half the puzzle.

How is it that the pH is fluctuating???

It's because the warmer it is the more the water absorbs CO2, Thus, making the water more acidic.

So, in my earlier post where I said Zero ppm water was 5.6 pH is because it must had been hot in my house.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing... Not so easy. [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #499483 - 11/19/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Water with zero ppm should have a pH of 7.0 at 25C/77F.

I use a blue lab guardian as my pH/ppm meter and it accounts for temperature when testing pH, my reservoir has been up to 85F and it read my pH properly/as expected. I've noticed some meters make errors when they calculate ppm ever 70 parts or so, so if your water was under some amount say 45 PPM it may round down rather than up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom