Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted
    #495896 - 11/07/10 02:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Fellas. First-time grower, first-time poster.
The long-and-short of it:

12 Super lemon haze (fem) from seed veg week three
Flood and drain hydro system
Fox Farm nutes per their schedule
Watering every 2 hrs except at night
1000w MH on 18/6
Ph 6.5
No way to measure PPM
Temp 80F
H20 Temp 70F
O2 bubbler

So I have 12 plants of the same strain and every one of them has a different morphology, color, and problem. I understand that there can be different phenotypes in the same strain but this is weird.

First let me say that as seedlings they were under stress for about 8 days because we had to hide them from a maintenance man who didn't show up on schedule, so the little gals got crappy lighting and temperature fluctuation for a time. Presently I have two plants that are about 4" taller than the rest. I'm afraid they have gone male on me.

Second of all it has been slow going. They are finally starting to take off so maybe that is characteristic of this strain.

What is really bothering me is that I have one plant (one of the tall ones) whose leaves, including new growth, are turning under. Another two plants have brown tips, and one other that looks like tobacco virus.

All things being equal - they share the same environment, lighting, nutrients, etc - I would think if I had a nute/ph or other problem, all the plants would share the same symptoms. On the whole, the plants look really healthy, strong root systems, thick stems,no stretching, etc. So WTH?

Perhaps I'm over-worried since I'm new at this. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ok, I've been having problems posting pictures (dumb newbie)so I've reposted my whole question and I'm going to try ONE MORE TIME, Here goes:

Edited by Goombah (11/07/10 02:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: Goombah]
    #495952 - 11/07/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Back off on the nutrients a bit. Yeah they all came from the same batch of seeds and such but as you can see you can have 12 seeds from the same plant let alone the same strain and have 12 different looking plants. Well if their looks can be different among other things their nutrients needs may be different as well. Some may like it strong like dad did some may like it weak like the mother plant did or any variable in between as a example.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: Magash]
    #495963 - 11/07/10 11:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I did not consider that they all may have different needs. I have been using the FF feeding schedule and have read in other posts that since they are in the business of selling their product they over-emphasize how much nutrient to use. Since I don't have a EC meter I have been going by tsp/Tsp per gallon. What do you suggest - cut it down by half perhaps?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #496050 - 11/07/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ahhhh....yes I'm very familiar with Fox Farm. I love their stuff.

Cut it by 25% then if that doesn't help then go the full 50%

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: Magash]
    #496163 - 11/07/10 11:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I'll be changing the tank in the AM. Also, I just noticed that some branches are now starting to turn purple, ack. Maybe I should go a little lower on the ph? I've been keeping it at 6.5. I think I read in the diagnosis section that for hydro it should be lower, around 5.8? I have the dropper-bottle ph kit so I don't think I can get quite that accurate but I should be able to hit 6.0 or 5.5 easily enough.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

#496201 - 11/08/10 05:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That one pic does look alot like the mosaic virus. Are the leaves as blistered as they look in the pic?

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: brifunforme]
    #496475 - 11/08/10 07:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The first two pics are of the plant I think might have the virus. If it does it came embedded in the seed because it came to life looking like this. The third picture is a different plant, the leaves in places are a dark shiny green and curled under.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

#496615 - 11/09/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It almost looks like Zinc or Manganese deficiency but I see no dead spots on any of the plants in question. Are those yellow spots just yellow spots or are they blistered? Also what does the underside of the leaf look like and have you seen any mites anywhere? And are the veins yellowing as well or are they still green? Forgive my eyes if you can see this in the pic but I haven't the greatest vision. :smile: I personally would have the Ph down a tad more to about 5.8 or 6.0 cuz it could be a nute lock out.

Edited by brifunforme (11/09/10 12:56 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #496664 - 11/09/10 02:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So I see no signs of tobacco mosaic in your plants at all.  There's is some inter-veinal chlorosis, which is probably being caused by too much nuts and slightly high pH.  I would recommend saving up some money and purchasing a PPM or EC meter. While you can get away without growing hydro,  you will be able to fine tune your system with one and get much better results.

And in the futures if you're going to use a hydro system like this, grow your plants out first and pick one to be the mother.  Take enough clones to fill up your system from 1 mother.  That way all your plants will want the same levels of nutrients at the same time.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #496715 - 11/09/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I thought 6.5 was a little high of pH for hydro systems?

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: muse42]
    #496815 - 11/10/10 07:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is, it should be around 5.5 - 6.1 ideally.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 12 plants, 12 problems, hydro systm - reposted [Re: muse42]
    #496883 - 11/10/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is, that's why I said it was high.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#497018 - 11/11/10 12:00 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice. I lowered the ph to 6.0 and backed off on the nutrients a bit. What a HUGE difference it has made. They are starting to look great almost overnight:

BEFORE (small weenie-looking plants)

AFTER (much healthier lush-looking plants)

Big difference! Chlorosis is nearly cured and the leaf-curling has stopped as has the brown tips.

As to getting a mother plant as someone suggested: Great idea. First of all it would have saved a whole lot of money in the seed department(dumbass that I am). Truly, though, I expected a little variation in the plants but nothing like this. Maybe 2 out of 12 look like they have the same genetics. The only common denominator is the wicked lemon stink gassing up my basement. Time to hang the filter.

When this batch is done we are going to pick the best one to clone - kinda makes me nervous - got a whole lot of studying to do yet on that subject. I can't take cuttings prior to flowering because I just don't have a place for them. I'm hoping to convalesce the mommas for a week or two after harvest then take some cuttings. Not sure yet.

The EC meter is on my X-mass wish list.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497174 - 11/11/10 04:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would highly recommend taking clones before you put them into flower.  I would just buy a few CFL's and keep them in a closet.  It will save you a lot of time in the long un, as it takes quite a while to reveg once you've harvested. 

Just be sure to label all the plants you clone from and the clones them selves for obvious reasons.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#497289 - 11/12/10 01:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hawk-man, I thought of doing the closet/CFL thing but my concern is that the clones will be sitting under relatively crappy conditions for the 6 weeks or so the mothers are flowering. I am worried that I'll either kill them off or they will get stretched out or something while they are waiting to go back under the MH. Also, won't I have to still recover the mothers in veg state after cutting clones before I switch the lights over? Just some thoughts. I know this isn't the forum for this but I appreciate your insight.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497391 - 11/12/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No the  plants you have now will not need any time to recover before you throw them into budding.  They'll be just fine. 

I keep my mother plants under floro lights oly, and they don't really stretch that much at all.  i say go for it!

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder