Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinereckless
Stoner

Loc: Flag
DIY grow tent question
    #481145 - 09/23/10 02:26 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So, lately I've been thinking about making my own grow tent.  I've looked at a few online and the prices on these things are RIDICULOUS for what they are.

I figure I can frame it with PVC and attach some black & white poly to the frame easily enough and I could use velcro, or a zipper for the opening.. My question is about ventilation. I would need an air intake at the bottom and an exhaust at the top (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm not sure how to accomplish this while keeping it light tight. The exhaust would have to accommodate a carbon filter obviously.

Now, I'm sure I can honky-rig something that will work, but I just wanted some external input and ideas..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DIY grow tent question [Re: reckless]
    #481201 - 09/23/10 09:26 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The b&w poly is easily stapled to existing walls; I haven't tried building a PVC frame but it sounds pretty easy.

I'm trying to figure out where to put a zipper myself, I'm thinking along a side and the bottom, so I can open a flap to access the interior.

As for ventilation, I'd cut two holes using the ducting as a template, one on the top and one on the bottom.  Then run ducting through the bottom in an "S" shape (or two PVC 90 elbows) to block light.  Then run ducting through the top hole, supporting it on both sides.  Finally duct tape where the ducts meet the inside and outside of the tent.

I hope that makes sense I'm really baked right now :awesome:

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #481203 - 09/23/10 09:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

look up self-adhesive take-off, i would figure out what size round ducting you would want to use, based on what size fan you will be using. Then look up that sized take-off, its basically a small piece of metal ducting with a "self-adhesive gasket" on one end and a male duct connector on the other end. Cut a rough hole in the poly or whatever cover material you're using that is slightly smaller than the opening of the takeoff, peel off the adhesive barrier and stick it on there over the cutout. There are also usually pre-drilled holes in the gasket portion in case you want to frame up a small PVC frame to provide a little more support just in case you dont trust the adhesive.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: DIY grow tent question [Re: Data]
    #481205 - 09/23/10 09:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

just an FYI, I would try to avoid using duct tape in the construction, due to the constant heat and humidity having a habit of turning the adhesive into slimy mush

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: DIY grow tent question [Re: kyuzo]
    #481396 - 09/23/10 06:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the resposes. Some good ideas.

I hadn't really considered using duct tape, but I can see how it would be a pretty bad idea. The cheap stuff especially isn't a very durable adhesive..

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
    #482058 - 09/25/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: DIY grow tent question [Re: trichome]
    #483486 - 09/29/10 01:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

trichome said:
I'm trying to figure out where to put a zipper myself, I'm thinking along a side and the bottom, so I can open a flap to access the interior.

I was thinking about putting a zipper on BOTH sides and the bottom, that way I can flip the door over the top and not have to worry about the flap getting in my way..

Quote:

trichome said:
As for ventilation, I'd cut two holes using the ducting as a template, one on the top and one on the bottom.  Then run ducting through the bottom in an "S" shape (or two PVC 90 elbows) to block light.  Then run ducting through the top hole, supporting it on both sides.  Finally duct tape where the ducts meet the inside and outside of the tent.

I hope that makes sense I'm really baked right now :awesome:

Totally makes sense.. I can put the intake duct on the floor, so no need to support that. Any ideas on how to support the outtake duct toward the top of the tent??

Offlinereckless
Stoner

Re: DIY grow tent question [Re: Psuper]
    #483489 - 09/29/10 01:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a good link! Thanks! That's exactly what I want to do, only on a larger scale. That's why I'm afraid a muffin fan wouldn't circulate enough air to keep temps down. Also in the pic, you can see light coming through the muffin fan.. My room isn't light tight, so I need my tent to be.. :bobvila:

Edit: No :bobvila: smiley?!?!

Edited by reckless (09/29/10 01:13 PM)

Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #484014 - 10/01/10 09:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If you use a carbon filter inside the tent (pulling air through the filter and out of the tent), it will block the light from coming through the fan/duct.  Just gotta block the light for the air intake at the bottom.

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies