Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19*
    #475189 - 09/10/10 04:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Jilly Bean and Pandora - Indoor soil w/CFL’s

Using rock wool to start clones
Move into dixies @ 3-5 inches
Move into 1gal pots @ 8-10 inches
Move into 3gal pots @ 14+ inches (just started using 3 gal pots. Before, it was in a 1 gal all the way to harvest)

Growing medium:
FFOF w/50% perlite added

Just started doing this; before they had been using MG (horrible, I know! lol).

Lights:

(Flowering Room) CFL’s, 17, 50 watt and 3, 150 watt f/s along with 10, 40 watt, T-8 lights on the floor, pointing up.
(Veg Room) CFL’s, 3 150 watt f/s.

Temp lvl:

Ranges between 70 and 90.

Nutes:

GH: FloraGro & FloraBloom, Hardwater FloraMicro.  2-1-6, 0-5-4, and 5-0-1, respectively

Pruning/Training techniques:

None at this point, pruning fan leaves as needed to allow more light penetration only.

So…. This is not a “from scratch” operation. A friend of mine asked for assistance, and my wife and I are gladly giving what we can. So far, there have been a few issues we’ve been able to recognize and remedy without too much difficulty, but there’s a history here that’s almost unforgivable…

We have two plants remaining from a batch of 15 that started out in hydro buckets. They were going pretty well, and I guess they got three or four plants all the way to harvest and got some pretty dense, tasty buds off them. But then there began a humidity and algae issue of some sort (not sure, this was before we came into the picture) that started to kill the plants. This caused them to worry that hydro was not working, and they abandoned the plan, and put the plants into soil (they had done one soil grow before they switched to hydro). Now, not only did they put the basket AND plant into the soil, but before putting it into the soil, they took the plants into the bathroom and under the tap water, washed the black algae growth off the roots. This procedure caused about half the remaining plants to die, and only 4 or 5 survived the whole ordeal.

Now, we’ve got the two youngest of those plants in pots, one about 2-4 days from harvesting, the second about two weeks off. There are 8 total in the flowering room now, and 6 or 7 in the veg room, all staggered to about 10-14 days apart.

We’re trying to put together a feeding and watering schedule for them to stick to, and it seems to be working to feed the plants in the grow room every other day, and watering every day in between with R/o water. I’m still working on the ones in the veg room.

There’s a couple things I’d like some advice and comments about… The P/h lvl in the soil… I’m not sure how exactly to check that, that what to do to increase or decrease it.

Second, I’m wondering if it’s a bad idea to be switching pots so many times. I’ve got them going from dixies into a 1 gallon, then into a 3 gallon, and I don’t know if that’s gonna be too many shocks to the roots or not.

Also, on the oldest two plants, it seems that the branches aren’t strong enough to hold up the cola’s well, and they seem like they’re liable to snap at any moment. Is there any way to strengthen the stems, and is there a good way to string them up so they don’t cause too much stress on the plant?

I think that’s all that we can think of at the moment. We’re tinkering with them every day, so we’ll definitely be back with more questions for people though… And I'm working on getting a decent camera to use, too. The only one I have available to me atm is the crappy one on my phone.

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/19/10 01:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Tank333]
    #475396 - 09/11/10 01:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, tonight we watered and fed all the plants but the oldest.
The two that were just introduced to the budding cycle we put 2 tsp of Flora gro/micro/bloom in a gallon, and they took about 1/3 of the gallon in each.
The oldest plant we decided was ready to go, and wasn't watered or fed... :stoned:
The five others each split a gallon of water with 1/2/3 tsp of Flora gro/micro/bloom mixed in. One of the plants seemed to be a bit wet still from last night, so it didn't get much food, as I was a little worried of over watering.

None of these plants have been pruned much at all. My friend had said that he "let them grow as they wanted", and he felt it was doing well. I reminded him about how when you don't prune your apple trees, you end up with  hundreds of really small apples, but when you prune it and shape the tree to maximize yield, you'll end up with bigger, tastier apples. Once I put it that way, he told me to prune as I saw fit, and I did. We only removed a couple from each plant, so we wouldn't shock it too badly (they were just all moved into 3gal. pots just 3 nights ago, except the two we transferred tonight). The younger plants each got three of their lower, smaller branches removed, and the older ones had one or two taken off that were just not going to go anywhere.

So, once we trimmed up yellowing leaves, and cleaned everything up, we took the oldest inside to be harvested. We took off 18 nice large colas, and trimmed them up. We'll be making some nice hash and butter from the stems and leaves here shortly! :grin:

I would like some input on curing methods though. I do know that you're supposed to hang it in the dark for a while, then put it in a bag, or a jar, or on a screen? I've heard lots of vague ideas but never really got good exact times from anyone... and I've heard lots of different times mentioned too, anywhere from 7 days to 45+! Is that long really necessary, and if so, why? What would be the benefits from curing it that long?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #475477 - 09/11/10 10:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

whats up with some pictures man?!!

alright your going to want to hang them in a warm, dry place, and dark too.  You could hang them in a closet or in a cardboard box seems to be the preffered method. let them dry for 1-2 weeks, until you can snap them stems, and there is no bending or stringyness to the stems.

Once you've got them dry, you will want to put them in sealed mason jars, fill the jars 3/4 of the way, there should not be very much air space, but some at least, so you can turn the buds in the jar. If you want, go ahead and wrap the jars in duck or electical tape to block the light out, and then you are going to want to open the jar and vent the nugs 3 times a day, for about 10 minutes, and every time you vent them turn the nugs. This is to help get the excess moisture out and keep your nugs from molding. if you don't vent them, and just keep the jars sealed up you will most likely end up with moldy  nugs.
curing can take as little as 2-3 weeks, but the longer u cure, the better ur buds are gonna be. I cure my buds for 3-5 weeks, its all about preference, i like the best tasting buds i can get.
ive heard of curing for a year +, to get some unbelievable nuggets.

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: treefer]
    #475481 - 09/11/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow! A year+? That's just insane. Thank you for you input.

We currently have them hanging in the closet. The person we're helping normally hangs them for a few days then puts them on a suspended screen for a few more days. I'm going to try to convince him to let this one cure a little longer, say 2 weeks, before moving them to the screen.

The more methods We hear about the better, so if anyone out there has any other idea please bring them to the table.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

#475485 - 09/11/10 10:52 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

just to make sure that you're clear on what curing is,

the first part-the hanging, and such- is drying the nugs, the actual curing part is when you put them into the jars and all that.

I know what you are talking about with the screen, its a way to get the trichromes and such that fall while drying and trimming and make some fine hash, this is still part of the drying stage though, i believe

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475488 - 09/11/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, before he had only been letting it dry from hanging for three or four days and then putting it on the screen for a couple more days.

There was no jar involved with his process... :frown: It was a very amateurish way to do it, if you ask me...

Also, I'm working on getting a decent camera. Once I do, I'll have some pics up that are decent. If you want, I can take some with my phone, but they're hella crappy quality and small to boot...

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/11/10 10:58 AM)

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

#475496 - 09/11/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well the curing process takes so long, because it takes a while to dry and release all the chlorophyll, it is a long slow process. If you do not cure correctly, the chlorophyll will remain in your nugs.

Now idk about this screen thing you are talking about for curing? just sounds like another way to dry.. try and get your friend to at least throw some of the nugs in the jar so from here on out he will do it, trust me once he compares the smoke of the two he will never do it wrong again.

I'm sure you could do some searching on the net, and find out exactly what curing does, but the majority of what i know about it is it just gets out all the remaining moisture, and chlorophyll which is bad stuff- makes the nugs taste like straight plant, crackle and sparkle when you smoke, and it makes the smoke harsh too.

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475545 - 09/11/10 12:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

OK, I got a few pics of the veg room babies, but the lights are off in the bud room, so you'll have to wait on those.

Here's three of the four Jilly Bean clones that are in the veg room, from the youngest to the oldest...

Here are the two Pandora's that are in the veg room.

I'm a little worried about the youngest of the Pan's. It's got a couple leaves that are turning quite yellow and sick looking... :frown:

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about this? Unfortunately, these babies are in the patient's bedroom closet, and his wife waters from time to time, and it usually ends up with the dixie cups sitting in a lot of water until I notice it and pour it out... It looks to me like the yellowing is from over-watering, but I'm just not experienced enough to know for sure...

Also, I've never heard of people doing half the things these guys do things... Lol. They had a problem with some sort of fungus attacking the rockwool, and they fixed it by wrapping aluminum foil around it. This is taken off before planting in a pot, but I've never seen this done before... Has anyone else?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#475561 - 09/11/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We were thinking of topping the oldest of the two Pandora's there and making a clone to replace the harvest we took in last night.

Any tips on what NOT to do when topping?

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #475596 - 09/11/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

on what not to do? don't fuck up lol na im just messin. make sure you don't cut to far down and make sure your scissors/razor is very clean and sterile.

heres a little picture to help you, you may want to try the fim technique, it produces more than just 2 main budsites.

and are those ur totties? very nice :borat:

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #475632 - 09/11/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome! I knew I'd seen that image somewhere, but I just couldn't find it again. lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#475949 - 09/11/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'm a little worried about the youngest of the Pan's. It's got a couple leaves that are turning quite yellow and sick looking... :frown:

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about this?

Looks like a nitrogen deficiency to me:

Everything else is looking great, especially for CFLs!  I'm impressed.
You've got over 1000W of light in that there flowering room; I bet it gets warm!  Ever consider using a HID instead?  I don't know how big your space is, but if it's <15 square feet, I bet a 600W HPS would do you nicely: denser nugs, bigger harvest, less wattage (smaller electricity bill), and less heat! (especially if it's air-cooled)  They are a bit of $$ up front, though, which can be a deterrent.

In regards to your question way back, on transplanting often: skip the 1 gallon pots.  Use them for veggies or something.  It's not that transplanting often is too much shock; cannabis is hardy, and if you do it right (that is, wait until roots fill the pot fully), it shouldn't be an issue.  It's just a waste of time and effort, IMO.  Go straight from dixies to 3 gallons, and watch your plants explode in growth.

Moar pics! :grin:

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: God]
    #475973 - 09/12/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much for the input God! The picture was very helpful and is now saved on my computer for future reference.

With Fall coming on we've been lucky enough to have ~74 F with the lights out and about ~85 F with them on. We also make sure to run the lights at night, since we have a lousy ventilation system atm.

We would definitely prefer to have a couple HPS lights going in there, and as soon as we have the money for it we will. We have a list of priorities though. We're currently working to make the space bigger, which will require a little electrical work and manual labor. Next, would be to improve said ventilation system. And then we get to focus on lights. We a long way from having the set up of our dreams, but we'll get there. (Then we plan to try our hand at outdoor growing!!:getstoned: :dancer: )

Awesome to know We can go from the dixies to the 3 gallon, and as soon as we have the space we'll start skipping that extra step.:bongload:

Thanks for all the support and replies. You guys give us the motivation to keep working on this ritually.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475988 - 09/12/10 01:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sooo... When we turned on the lights tonight, most of the plants got a good trimming... Fan leaves that were blocking buds and the lowest branches got pruned on all of them. A couple still need a little bit more pruning, but that'll be it for most of them. We didn't want to shock them with too much in one night. They got a little last night too...

I finally got some pictures of the real good lookin' ones. My friend's phone has a surprisingly decent camera on it! So, we'll start at the oldest and go to the youngest...

This would be Jilly-14. She's the oldest in here, and the last that had been subjected to the switch from hydro to soil. She didn't have the fungus, but they didn't want to take chances, so they moved her over too.

Next I'll show you the Monster. Technically, she's older than J-14. She was used as a mother for a while, and then moved to the budding room when there was no more room for her in the veg room.

Next, we have J-15. She's the first of the fully-in-soil girls, and I'm excited to see how she does...

The Pandora would be the next in line. Sorry I don't have more pics of her, she's a beauty. I'm a little worried about having to move some of the lights up too much because of her...

Next is the J-16. She's a bit young, but shaping up to be pretty big.

Last but not least, we've got the two youngest of the budding room, J-17 and 18. They've only been in the budding room five days now...

So, that's all the pics for the moment... Let me see if I can steal my friend's phone again for another round of pics. I still wanted to get some decent ones of the lighting set-up.

I also took two clones tonight, from J-17. I scraped the stems, dipped them in water and then in Schultz Root-Take and then into a square of rock-wool. The larger of the two looks like it didn't take too well, but the smaller one seems to be happy. We'll see how they fare come morning...

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/12/10 01:01 AM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476007 - 09/12/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I totally cannot believe that I forgot about this! I took the two youngest in the veg room that have just been put into pots, and tied them down. J-21 and J-22 are the first two I get to experiment on with LST.

Also, got some pics of the lights and the "ventilation" we have in there right now. Here's the lights on the left:

And here's the lights on the right:

Here's the lights in the center:

Here's the three fans we have for ventilation. Unfortunately, we can only keep the door open at night, when the lights are on, so they don't really get new air for 12 hours of the day... :frown:

The grow room's set up in a horseshoe shape that measures 9' 4" from the left side to the right, and 5'2" from the front to back. There's a 3'6" square in the center we use for sitting on a bucket while we prune or water. The lights are suspended from the ceiling by lightweight chains. The clamps make it pretty simple to move up and down when the plants get too big, or a smaller one replaces one just harvested.
I also measured the inside of the veg space we have, and that measures a measly 20" deep by 30" wide by 42 inches tall. Not nearly as much space as I'd like, but once we get the shed re-wired, it'll all be moved out there where there'll be just as much room for the veg as for the bud...

I hope that was pretty clear.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476011 - 09/12/10 02:05 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

There we go got all the info out there and pics for the veg room and the flower room!
We're officially a Grow journal!
:getstoned:

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
    #476131 - 09/12/10 12:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

looks nice! much bigger than i had originally thought this was! dam u got a billion of those little cfls, rapin ur electric.. gotta do what u gotta do tho! ur gonna be blown away when that lst starts takin off! shit's like magic i swear.

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #476176 - 09/12/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oh, I know! I put the first hooks on the plants at about 9:30 last night, and when I checked them again at 4 am, they had already started turning back up towards the light! I put a second tie down on each of them at 4, and by this morning, they were looking awesome! I'll have more pics later today of those...

And the clones have both taken root well it seems. I was a little worried about the larger one, but it's stopped wilting, and looks like it's starting to take in new moisture.

I felt that the foil wrapped around the rock wool of the Pandora 3 was keeping the cube too moist, so I took off the foil, and took a paper towel to seep off some of the water that was soaked into the cube. It seems to have perked up this morning just from that, and tonight I'll probably give it some food with extra N for what looks to be that N deficiency...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476198 - 09/12/10 02:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think we should wait until the symptoms of the over-watering fade; that way we're not mis diagnosing it with a N deficiency...

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#476258 - 09/12/10 05:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I stole that nitrogen picture from this thread (which stole it from Cervantes' Bible, I think).  That thread's got some other good stuff, so check it out.

As far as overwatering goes, I noticed in the OP:

Quote:

Tank333 said:
We’re trying to put together a feeding and watering schedule for them to stick to, and it seems to be working to feed the plants in the grow room every other day, and watering every day in between with R/o water. I’m still working on the ones in the veg room.

Are you still watering in this way?  If so, it seems like way too much water to me, especially in soil.  It's best to give the medium some time to dry out to some degree, so that (1) the roots go searching for water, making them fill the pot more quickly, thoroughly, and sturdily and (2) to avoid problems due to too much water, like algae, fungal/bacterial diseases (root rot and such), bugs, etc.

How to tell when to water: wait until it looks dry on top, then stick your finger an inch or two down into the medium.  If it's still pretty damp, wait.  If it feels relatively dry, you can water.  You can start being able to tell when to water by the weight of your pots, just from lifting them off the ground real quick.  This is a better method once you get the hang of it, since you don't have to risk jabbing the roots with your finger every few days.

Speaking of feeding and such, how much are you feeding per gallon relative to how much the bottle says is the maximum?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies