Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShaggy420
Male

Recent Marijuana Studies Media Failed to Report
    #443098 - 07/07/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Paul Armentano

Opposing Views

Wednesday 07 Jul 2010

Investigators and pundits alike are fond of calling for 'more research' into the safety and efficacy of marijuana and its active compounds. Ironically, when such calls are heeded and new research is published, nobody wants to talk about it.

For example, researchers at the State University of New York (SUNY), Upstate Medical University in Syracuse published data in the June issue of the journal Pharmacology concluding that the administration of the plant cannabinoids delta-8-THC and delta-9-THC halted cellular respiration and tumor growth in human oral cancer cells. Specifically, investigators reported that cannabinoids were a "potent inhibitor" of Tu183 human cancer cells, a notoriously difficult to treat type of oral cancer.

Of course, this is hardly the first time that pot's compounds have been demonstrated to possess anti-cancer properties. As has been widely reported here and elsewhere, US government researchers were first aware of this finding over 35 years ago, and today there exist published scientific studies demonstrating that cannabinoids can inhibit the proliferation of a wide range of cancers — including brain cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, pancreatic cancer, biliary tract cancer, and lymphoma. Nonetheless, abstract prohibitionist concerns regarding marijuana's supposed cancer risk continue to dominate the headlines while actual scientific studies debunking these allegations tend to go unnoticed.

Similarly, preclinical data published online last week in the journal Cell Communication and Signaling reported that the administration of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) increases adult neurogenesis (the active production of new neurons) in laboratory animals. Authors speculated that cannabis' pro-neurogenic effects may explain why the plant appears to be useful in the treatment of certain neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer's disease or ALS.

As I wrote last week, to date there are now over 20,000 published studies or reviews in the scientific literature pertaining to marijuana and its active compounds — making marijuana the most studied plant on Earth. But what's the point in further research if nobody even bothers to pay attention to the research that's already been done?

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/recent-marijuana-studies-media-failed-to-report

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCrunchyBisquit
Baked to a Crisp

Loc: In The Garden Of Eden
Re: Recent Marijuana Studies Media Failed to Report [Re: Shaggy420]
    #443233 - 07/07/10 09:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This is probably the first time I'm proud of living in Syracuse lol -- I've had my stomach pumped a block or so away from there :rofldrunk:

--------------------
:salmon: I hate my sig :salmon:

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: Recent Marijuana Studies Media Failed to Report [Re: TheCrunchyBisquit]
    #443240 - 07/07/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The pharmaceutical company(who pay into campaign funds of our politicians) do not want it legalized because they know that they are going to loose a lot of money when people figure out they can use it instead of there pills which any more have side effects almost as bad if not worse then the problem they treated. The far right political groups(churches and such) want it kept illegal because people will start seeing their bullshit as well. The war on drugs as it is called is just a war on pot more than any other. my god what would happen if everyone started smoking and actually see all the bullshit that has been said about this plant is not true then maybe they lied about all the other bullshit too. just my thought on this

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds