Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGuerillaWarFarm
Stranger
:( The trials of Outdoor Growing
    #441387 - 07/03/10 09:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all. I just got re-directer here from the Shroomery (i can't believe i didn't find this before???)

now, I apologize right now, I have no pictures nor a camera for these plants. Even if I did, they're not worth taking a picture of, they're so bad.

I was in a tough bind for these 3 plants... well, 2 now, I suppose.
My friend wanted me to transplant them outside because he could no longer grow in his closet (the light that he was using to grow them during the winter time was insufficient at this point). The plants were NOT hardened AT ALL! (this pissed me off considerably) when I was asked to move them outside.

Now, the spot I'm growing it at has a few problems, and as this is only my 3rd year of growing (last year failed completely, the year before that I got some NICE 6 foot sativa plants... but only yielded like 2 ounces from 2 plants ...that sucked ) I need some help, because nobody else around me wants to help me.

So basically, as me and my friend (who now no longer cares to see the plants so I have to go alone...what a jackass) were moving the plants from closet space to outside, my STUPID STUPID friend stuffed the plants in his backpack and the head of one of the plants got decapitated. It was literally hanging on by a thread. I tried to save it, i tried to tie the head around the steam... but it wasn't gonna happen. I didn't have the patience either, I tried for about 15 minutes, and decided, screw it, I'll just snip it and see what becomes of it.

That was the first mistake.

So, I started the plants on a regular nutrients schedule of about once a week of some 18-18-21. It is the 4th week of this schedule. The plants themselves are, so far, considerably smaller than I expected them to be. About a foot, maybe a foot and a quarter. Very small.
Now, growing outside in Canada can be risky because of the weather. There was a sever rainstorm, which, the next day when I went to go check on the plants, had completely destroyed ALL the support systems I had set up for them (for they were all bent, and their stems were not enough to support the weight of their leaves). The plants were sprawled out all over the ground. The one plant that got decapitated was in a sorry state, it was literally growing upside down. The stem had bent from the middle and it had become accustomed to it. Naively, I tried to fix it, thinking, well, it can't get any bigger if it's growing like that.

So I set up the supports again, I nutrientsed and watered them...

fast forward to two days ago. The decapitated plant has now officially died. There is no more hope. Okay, I lie. There's A LITTLE bit of green on the leaves. Seriously. I tried everything to save this plant, but alas, my green thumb has failed me.

Now, I want to know WHY this plant died. Was it too much stress? As I said, these plants were not hardened at all before transplanting, and they were far too big for the containers they were in (375mL styrofoam cups) so the roots were a little bit rootbound. On top of that, it got decapitated. That's probably why, huh? What a dumb question of me!

The other question I have, is, how can I prevent this from happening to my other 2 plants... which I know one (the nicest looking one too, thank goodness) is a female. The spot is safe from deer as it is literally surrounded by very thorny raspberry bushes...and so far, little critters have not come to them, except for insects. When should I change the nutrients to something more phosphorous, to promote budding? I fear for plant hunters because the spot is literally right behind some peoples backyards, so I need to try and get them to bud ASAP in order to beat the plant-hunters plans - who usually hunt around august/september because they don't feel like doing any work or something I donno.

thank you for your advice in advance.
Takeiteasy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGuerillaWarFarm
Stranger
Re: :( The trials of Outdoor Growing [Re: GuerillaWarFarm]
    #441416 - 07/03/10 10:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh. SOrry, I didn't see to fill this out:

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed
2. How old are your plants? Since late February.... so 5-6 months
3. How tall are your plants? a foot, a foot and a bit
4. What size containers are they planted in? they're in the ground, outside.
5. What is your soil mix? soil mix? Mostly clay, a little bit of top soil.
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? I water once a week + whatever rain falls on them. I use nearby creek water.
7. What is the pH of your water? I'm not sure.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? For nutrients, I use tomato fertilizer. 18-18-21 NPK
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? I do not.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") They get natural sunlight.
11. How close are your lights to the plants? about 8 light minutes away.
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? the grow space is about 6ft radius
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Varies on the weather
14. What is the pH of the soil? Unsure
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Yes. Lots of insects. Mosquitoes, during the night time, fireflies.
16. How much experience do you have growing? This is my 3rd year of growing, but I am not very experienced.

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

#441776 - 07/04/10 11:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

wow
you could have put your plants in the shade to harden them
and topping didnt kill your plant
it sounds to me like you just didn't do much right
you also shouldnt have watered after a heavy rain....
and flowering quicker will help "bud hunters" find your weed quicker.
overall i wouldn't have put myself in the situation you put yourself in.

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

Edited by grod31 (07/04/10 11:57 AM)

OfflineGuerillaWarFarm
Stranger
Re: :( The trials of Outdoor Growing [Re: grod31]
    #441812 - 07/04/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What a disheartening post.
Thanks for making me feel like shit :frown:
and also for pointing out that the entire situation those plants are in are far from the best. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but is there anything at all that I could do at this point to remedy the situation, or are you just telling me that I have no hope and might as well stop trying to look after them?

OfflineGuerillaWarFarm
Stranger
    #443948 - 07/09/10 09:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thanks a lot, grod the monumental jackass.

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#443961 - 07/09/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hey its all good man every 1 messes up some how( my friend put some plants in a cup with no holes in the sun and it rained...) next time u start them inside put a fan on them to harden up the stems so thay can withstand the outside elements.. thats the only thing i can think of that had the most affect..
storm winds here in western pa can get to 50+ mph.

also if your plants were satrted in febuary inside and never got over a foot u may want to invest in 2 26 watt cfl's 65k spectrum..
thats all the light u would need for the first 2 months of good veg..
this plant had only 2 cfl's
without the lst it was a foot tall with 12 nodes at 2 to 3 inches from the bulbs..

edit: that was my first plant i ever tried..

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Edited by lostinbq (07/09/10 10:07 AM)

OfflineGuerillaWarFarm
Stranger
Re: :( The trials of Outdoor Growing [Re: lostinbq]
    #444592 - 07/10/10 02:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thank you for your post! yeah, we put the fan on the plants for a little while but honestly it was all in a very bad situation because of circumstances i don't care to go into right now. I should have done that for more time and yeah it is really unfortunate that i made those mistakes but live and learn right?

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#444597 - 07/10/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

it is not perfect for every 1. i myself have had problems not dire but so so.. i actually recherched for 3 weeks before starting to grow. and im still learning. youtube can answer a lot of questions too. yea some ppl here have bad days and don't post things to make others feel better or help much.

but yea a fan is a must mine runs 12/12 with my lights and i dont do alot of shit that is recommended cous its all in what works for u..

i put a seed in a carpet in the part of the basement thats divided and flooded and it grew 3 inches tall before the water dried up. so thay can take abuse and grow in the unmost obvious conditions..

edit that plant in that post was only a month old:vaped:

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Edited by lostinbq (07/10/10 03:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck