Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

LST vs SCroG
    #434158 - 06/17/10 12:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm doing a 1'x2' small grow using Sour Diesel (seed) in 2 DWC buckets, under a t5 for seedling and then 150w HPS for the remainder of the grow.

My question is: I don't know if I want to do LST or SCroG, or even both?
I think my situation favors LST because I'm starting with unsexed seeds.

Does anyone do a combination of both?
Pictures of SCroG and LST being done just so I can get a better sense of what I am doing?

Tips always appreciated, thanks.

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: ChillWillis]
    #434170 - 06/17/10 12:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Scrog is a technique of LST.  Bend em over so that they develop a few main budsites and then put a screen in there when they show sex.  I personally am forgoing the screen because I like to rotate my plants around the light and no screen makes watering easier.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: SmOakland]
    #434181 - 06/17/10 12:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You do the spiraling out technique for LST?

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #434206 - 06/17/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Scrog is a technique of LST.  Bend em over so that they develop a few main budsites and then put a screen in there when they show sex.  I personally am forgoing the screen because I like to rotate my plants around the light and no screen makes watering easier.

Well fucking said...

I dropped the scrog for that exact reason this round and am getting even better results with FIM + Supercropping.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #434241 - 06/17/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I just take a hemp string and tie my plants over so instead of growing in a "l" shape, they grow in a "L" shape (if you rotate the L 90 degrees).

All the branches come up and even the small buds at the bottom end up getting pretty big.

IDK. My 2 cents.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#434290 - 06/17/10 03:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yah, If you went scrog then found out 1 was a male it would be inconvenient to have to remove it from the screen.

Some kind of supercropping should do great.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #434573 - 06/17/10 10:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What's FIM?

So bend them over and then squish the main stem so you break the xylem and phloem for supercropping? Once they're sexed out put the screen over.. When I put the screen on I guess I should put the screen at the height of the tips of the plant(s).

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#434595 - 06/17/10 10:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Dude read this http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/239247.  It is all you need to know.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#434699 - 06/18/10 09:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yea I'm pretty familiar with that thread.

I guess by LST I meant the tie-down method. Is it common for people to do both tie-down and scrog?

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#434725 - 06/18/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

I guess by LST I meant the tie-down method. Is it common for people to do both tie-down and scrog?

Man you gotta tie that shit to the screen so it is the same no?  Are you bent on using a screen?  Just do some LST and see where that gets you.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #434770 - 06/18/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

scrog is best for clones, since you already know the sex of them.  Scrog coverage can be achieved without a screen using the tie down method as well.  What kind of space do you have?  are you doing the lst because of space constraints or for better bud sites?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #434788 - 06/18/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I was all about the ScrOG at first, then I tried tying my plants down, way easier to deal with for me. I feel like it's just as productive too, it's the same goal, just a different means of attaining it. The only thing that gets me about the screen, is once they are in there, they're really in there, I like to move my plants around for better light through the cycle. That of course is because I have seven 5gal buckets under one lonely 600. It's ok though, gonna double up for the next round, which probably means I'll double the plants too, and then I'm back where I started..

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #435248 - 06/19/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I just ordered a 48"x24"x60" grow tent so that's the space I'm working with. Needless to say I've got more room than I need but I figured that'll be good for when I get myself a 400w HPS.

I just thought that since I'm not using clones it'd be better to use the tie down method. So I think that's what I'll go with because it seems simplest and more hands on.

I want to find a way to separate the tent into 2 sections and then have one veg and flower room until I get a 400w. Is there an easy way to start small plants in soil and then move them into DWC buckets, or should I just make a hydro/aero cloner?

--------------------

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #435257 - 06/19/10 05:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok. There are a lot of good opinions in this thread so far but lets see if I can add to them. I personally use and love the scrog method, but you can do exactly the same thing with tying. Its just a whole lot more time and work to tie individual branches then to just work them into the screen(at least double)For whoever asked above, generally you dont tie the branches to the actual  screen, but on occasion I'll use simple twist ties to position a branch exactly where I want it in my screen, but I havent done that since my first scrog(currently on 5th). Watering can be an issue if you're using soil, but flushing is the bigger problem. With hydro, just make sure your res is slightly elevated off of the floor and you put some kind of drain valve in ahead of time and changing the res is a breeze. For those of you who like to rotate plants, there is a simple solution, just make individual screens for each plant and mount them to the pots or tubs, this would also make it fairly easy to remove a male if you were unfortunate enough to get one. This will be more work than a single screen though. I personally see no need to rotate if your scrog and cab are properly built with reflective material on at least 3 sides it makes up for the outside plants and they have plenty of light. For me, tying is just to much work and to time consuming if your goal is an even canopy, but to each their own. If you have any specific questions or need help, feel free to ask, otherwise here's a link to my journal where you can see all of my scrogs unfold and I'll put a few pics in for reference.
https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/244075

And this was my last run, I used 9 Blue Kush clones in 2 seperate dwc tubs that I built under a pair of 600w's. Ended up harvesting 2lbs of herb and 3oz of hash.

OfflineThUmB pRiNt
Male

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: Integra21]
    #435327 - 06/19/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Damn I was dead set on starting with ScrOG but now Im having second thoughts. We ll see. Ill probably do a lil of both.

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: ThUmB pRiNt]
    #435332 - 06/20/10 12:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great pics Integra, thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: LST vs SCroG [Re: Integra21]
    #435415 - 06/20/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Great post man, thanks for your insights.

I think what I'll end up doing is planting my (only) two Sour Diesel seeds in soil on the vegging side of my tent under my 2' - 4 bulb 90w T5. From there I'll just figure out which one to make mother and then take clones for my two DWC buckets and then make the decision between scrog or tie-down.

This means I'll have to make myself a hydro cloner somehow. :strokebeard:

Also does anyone know any good methods for separating one of those pre-made grow tents into different sections for veg/flower?

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#435418 - 06/20/10 11:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What is the point of a pre made grow chamber if you are just going to have to build something in it anyway?

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#435426 - 06/20/10 12:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well you would be right except when I did the calculations it turned out that it was much cheaper to buy a pre-made one than to actually go buy the hardware, lumber, and reflective material that I'd need to build it. I would have had much more fun and satisfaction doing it myself but at least I know this will be build right and hassle free.

To be totally honest I was stoned when I bought it. For some reason I thought 24" = 1 foot. So I thought It was gonna be 1' x 2'. :lol:
Either way this works out for the better since I'll be getting a 400w soon and until then I can perpetual harvest once I throw some kind of divider in it.

So any tips?
I was thinking just go get some reflectix or white vinyl and throw a layer up in the center. Which is better reflectix or vinyl?
Oh and do you guys think it's good to train your mothers? I was thinking of just topping her and maybe try to bonsai
:bobmarley:

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#435430 - 06/20/10 12:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that thing looks legit.  Are you going to have the mother in with the vegging plants?  If you divided the thing in half you would only have 4 square feet on each side.  Just buy another tent mang.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom