Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

first grow / few questions
    #430936 - 06/10/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so i started some bag seeds for a practice run before i bought some good seeds. I started these bag seeds out side (southern east state) and the temp was getting to about 93deg, they started to turn a bit yellow, so i brought them inside..my wife added bloom feed thinking it was going to help but they are only about a week old, so i was told to flush them out. well i kinda did but i could'nt get a good run off of them so i took the plants out carefuly and just replaced them into new soil.

#1-By my pulling the plants out and having the roots exposed for about 15 secs at most, going to hurt them? i just replaced my blubs with 6500k CFL because i had the wrong ones which were 3000k.

#2- should i keep a light cycle for a 24hr run for a day? ive seen a couple people post saying they had a 24hr cycle???

#3- i have other problems too like well water, so im thinking of just getting distill water, or should i get a ph water tester and just fix the well water to save money? I have used well water in the past and they were doing pretty good but when i put them into flower cycle my wife forgot bout them and didnt turn on the lights =[ so i am now getting a timer also.

#4-should i even continue to try and save them or just start over with new seeds?

**pics are with the bloom food, but they are now in new soil**

Edited by OverAgain (06/10/10 08:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

Re: first grow / few questions [Re: OverAgain]
    #431093 - 06/11/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

From what I know I would keep the Lights on And do the 24 hour cycle and when they have reached maturity I would change it to 12-12 and add the flowering lights you took out *3000k* back in and have a mixed spectrum of 6500 and 2700-3000k. Cant answer the other stuff

--------------------

"you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you"
"I got something that will fit in that hole... its right here in my pocket"
"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

Re: first grow / few questions [Re: critik]
    #431107 - 06/11/10 08:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok sounds good I have a 6500k running right now. I also have a 3000k and a 2700k, so should I have the 6500 and 3000 mix for flower or do 6500 and 2700 or flower?

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#431112 - 06/11/10 08:48 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Honestly just put em all on the plant. And just change to 12-12 when you want to start flowering

--------------------

"you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you"
"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#431113 - 06/11/10 08:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You can run a mixed spectrum, its good for them. You can also stick to 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. Though, I've seen people use one or the other for the whole grow and they did fine too. Biggest thing you wanna remember, keep as many watts in there as possible, more light = more bud.

Light cycle for veg can go many ways, the main three configurations people use for vegetative growth are 24hrs on, 18hrs on/6 off, 20hrs on/4 off. All of the above will work great.

The problem with well water is not the ph, its the hardness, it contains all kinds of minerals. You can use it, but you wouldn't be able to get nutrient strength to full potential, the fix is to use distilled water, or buy a reverse osmosis water filter.

Being that they are bag seed and they have been stressed, not to mention they are still tiny, you could start over pretty easy. Or you could bring them back just for practice.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

Re: first grow / few questions [Re: DieselB]
    #431116 - 06/11/10 09:15 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get distill water today, I was wantin to keep them for practice of bring a plant back to health. I'll add another bulb in there and try a 24 hour cycle. Right now they have been on 18/6. And if it just fails all together I still have plenty more to try.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #431182 - 06/11/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Keep at those plants.  There's no reason to give up on them just because they got a little bit stressed this early on.  They don't look ALL that horrible to me anyways.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

Re: first grow / few questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #431348 - 06/11/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I bought some distill water today looks like im just going to have to keep buying gallons of it. I took one plant out it was pretty much complety dead. The whole plant was on its side when I got home. Hopefully I can bring these babbies back to good health with new water. I added a 2nd light, 23watt CFL 2700k..should i upgrade my lights? Even though its a 23watt it says it replaces the 100w??

Here are some pics of them again after a day. You can see how they are yellow and some of the leaves crul upward towards the light..how is this fixed?

Another question I have is when I moved them into bigger pots should i do it towards the end of the day to have a lights off recovery or early on with lights on recover?

Edit: one more question. Instead of starting the seeds in soil right away, what else can I do to start them out. rockwool isnt sold around my area :sad:

Edited by OverAgain (06/11/10 03:53 PM)

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#431497 - 06/11/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Use the Paper towel method To germ them. I don't think hawk Approves of it but It is your first grow anyway.

there could be many reasons why your plant is doing that. I honestly dont know I just started And I ask questions as i grow.

If I understood you right I think you should transplant in the morning But your lights are on 24/7 so I guess it would not matter. But if you do have a light sched I would Do it when they turn on so they have a full day to recover.

Now As for lights I have the same lights as you I have 3 23 watt 2700k cfls And 2 6500k cfl's Heres what you should do. Go to lowes and get these http://www.lowes.com/pd_72577-334-738V-SP-L_0_?productId=1099209&Ntt=lamp%20plug%20in%20socket&Ntk=i_products&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=lamp%20plug%20in%20socket$y=0$x=0 after you got those get one of these maybe even 2 http://img.alibaba.com/photo/221272964_4/UL_Relocatable_Power_tap_CUL_power_bar_power_socket.jpg

Get about 3 2700k cfls and 3 6500k plug them in to the power tap using the plugs from lowes and mount them in a homemade reflector  above the plants.

--------------------

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

#431552 - 06/11/10 09:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

critik said:
Use the Paper towel method To germ them. I don't think hawk Approves of it but It is your first grow anyway.

there could be many reasons why your plant is doing that. I honestly dont know I just started And I ask questions as i grow.

If I understood you right I think you should transplant in the morning But your lights are on 24/7 so I guess it would not matter. But if you do have a light sched I would Do it when they turn on so they have a full day to recover.

Now As for lights I have the same lights as you I have 3 23 watt 2700k cfls And 2 6500k cfl's Heres what you should do. Go to lowes and get these http://www.lowes.com/pd_72577-334-738V-SP-L_0_?productId=1099209&Ntt=lamp%20plug%20in%20socket&Ntk=i_products&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=lamp%20plug%20in%20socket$y=0$x=0 after you got those get one of these maybe even 2 http://img.alibaba.com/photo/221272964_4/UL_Relocatable_Power_tap_CUL_power_bar_power_socket.jpg

Get about 3 2700k cfls and 3 6500k plug them in to the power tap using the plugs from lowes and mount them in a homemade reflector  above the plants.

I just started 24hr light today, before it was 18/6..yea i have to get a better light set-up i have extra lights just need something to put them in, i have 2 that are in my old snakes heat lamp and just switched bulbs. what is the coppper plug going to do for me didnt fully understand that part. :blazed:

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#431563 - 06/11/10 10:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You twist light bulbs in to the plugs and plug them in the computer power tap(second picture). And then mount that under a reflector. You understand now or no?

--------------------

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #431565 - 06/11/10 10:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

A good alternative to rockwool is peat pellets, and those are sold at just about every hardware store at this time of year. You can usually pick up a germination kit for about $10 that will come with a humidity dome, the tray for the pellets, and about 20 peat pellets. This is the next best thing for germinating next to rockwool, and a lot of people will argue its better. You just soak the pellets as directed and then place the seeds in them. Usually you'll have visible sprouts in under a week. It is good to have a mixed spectrum of bulbs, but the brighter the better and go by actual watts instead of equivalent. The 23w are pretty small. I have had great luck with the 43w ones and you can usually pick those up for about $9. And if you need a good cheap light for the bulbs, I made mine with a regular $1.50 extension chord and 2 socket adapters that plug strait into an electrical outlet, can be bought at any hardware store for about $2. and that makes a nice cheap 2 bulb light for $6(not including bulb price). As far as the roots go, If you didn't damage them while transplanting, they shouldn't have had any negative side effects. Short exposure to light and air is no big deal, but when you start getting past the 10 minute mark, you might notice some problems depending on plant size and health. Otherwise, Keep them going, any experience will only help you down the road. And remember, you don't want your lights too close when the plants are that small. For cfl's, I would keep them about 6-12" away until you see the first set of actual leaves(more than 3 fingers). But after that, keep them as close as you can without the plants showing signs of stress(limp or wilty leaves, discoloration, burning or curling) Once a plant is larger and healthy(12"or so) you can easily keep the bulbs within 2" with no damage, but that will require regularly raising the lights to prevent damage. Hope all of this info helps and good luck with your grow. The first ones always the hardest. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

Re: first grow / few questions [Re: Integra21]
    #431568 - 06/11/10 10:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I understand now critik, never thought of it that way, :thumbup:

And i'll lift up the lights too, they were about 4" away :eek:

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#431582 - 06/11/10 11:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just Put the light where ever you think its best

--------------------

OfflineOverAgain
Stranger

#431724 - 06/12/10 09:33 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:They are all pretty much dead. lol :sad: there was new growth on the bigger plant but when i woke up this morning they had started to turn brown. I think im just going to flush them out or just start over all the way, they were just bag seeds so i wasn't worried much for my first try. Thanks to all who replied and gave me adivice. I will use it all for my 2nd go around. :thumbup:

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#431793 - 06/12/10 12:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

AHHHH man Soz. Just take it slow next time start with 1 plant to make it easier.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale