Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Deadliest Catch
    #411644 - 05/04/10 02:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone into it?

For some reason I have been intrigued by it from the first season.  Sucks that Phil died this year... :sad:

He was probably my favorite skipper.

:happyweed:  R.I.P.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: Inverted]
    #411654 - 05/04/10 02:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Those dudes are badass man

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #411757 - 05/04/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No shit.

I would give it a shot for a season just to see if I have what it takes.  That would have to be like 2 years in the future when I'm in shape and motivated and shit like I used to be.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#411765 - 05/04/10 04:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, that shit ain't no joke.  I'd like to do it too to see if I could.  You can make a lot of money in one season.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#411770 - 05/04/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah work for nearly a week straight but walk off the boat with a 15k check...  Yes please.  I'd take the threat of death all day long for that pay

Just give me some :meff: and I'd be a robot

For snow crab season they work for like a month but make like 60 grand per deckhand... God that would be nice

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: Inverted] * 1
    #411824 - 05/04/10 06:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How'd he die?

Deadliest Catch sucks -> if they condensed all the interesting parts of a season down it'd probably last about 20 minutes.

I don't have 30 minutes a week to sit on my ass and watch angry men do nothing for half hour while a narrator pretends something exciting is about to happen after the commercials.
Their job is tough and dangerous but so is roofing, you don't see people watching them all day.

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: ChillWillis]
    #411942 - 05/04/10 07:09 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
How'd he die?

Deadliest Catch sucks -> if they condensed all the interesting parts of a season down it'd probably last about 20 minutes.

I don't have 30 minutes a week to sit on my ass and watch angry men do nothing for half hour while a narrator pretends something exciting is about to happen after the commercials.
Their job is tough and dangerous but so is roofing, you don't see people watching them all day.

Ok...this is TSL, so I'll keep it civil.  Besides the first part of about the season only being insteresting for 20 mins...I..well.. :facepalm::nonono:

And are you SERIOUSLY comparing roofing to what they do???!!

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#412007 - 05/04/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well it's a matter of opinion so it'd be asinine to argue which parts are interesting and which aren't. It's just that in my opinion the majority of that show is bullshit except for the occasional injury or man overboard.

And roofing is only similar to what they do in that it's both dangerous and boring. The big difference is one's on TV.
I could have just as easily said skyscraper window washer.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #412009 - 05/04/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man, I just got off my TSL ban, I love the show :thumbup:

People need to respect where our seafood comes from, there are men and women who dedicate their lives to harvesting the sea. Some for not nearly as much money as these guys make.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Deadliest Catch [Re: DungenessDank]
    #412016 - 05/04/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The ocean has been raped by fishermen for longer than I care to cite.
There's also a lot of mercury in them fishes (especially the bigger ones) as a result of our pollution.

We've really got to stop idolizing these people and treating the ocean like it's a rug to sweep the dirt under.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#412030 - 05/04/10 08:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Its economics my man. People want to eat fish and they will pay enough to keep those who catch them employed. If we shut down every industry that harvests natural resources then where does the actual value of anything come from.

You seem to be mixing in two very distinct groups together, that I find personally troubling. Fisherman have long been supporters of conservation efforts. Commercially harvest species are essential to many ecosystems, and these ecosystems in turn support the life and breeding habitat of said fish. It is other unregulated industries and the US Government itself that is responsible for much of the pollution and habitat destruction today.

The government doesn't care about the fishing industries opinion however, as many other industries have much deeper pockets.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#412035 - 05/04/10 08:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
The ocean has been raped by fishermen for longer than I care to cite.
There's also a lot of mercury in them fishes (especially the bigger ones) as a result of our pollution.

We've really got to stop idolizing these people and treating the ocean like it's a rug to sweep the dirt under.

Dude, fisherman want the fish population to be abundant.  I would think anyway :wink:

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#412054 - 05/04/10 08:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Fisherman have long been supporters of conservation efforts.

Fisherman want to catch as many fish as they can and sell them - I'm sure they're the biggest supporters of eliminating fishing restraints.
Not to mention the devastation that trawling does to various oceanic habitats..
I don't really think they give a shit about the ocean, it's just that (for the most part) they begrudgingly conform to the fishing laws.

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Dude, fisherman want the fish population to be abundant.  I would think anyway :wink:

I agree but I don't think they're going to take a break from their livelihoods to let the stock replenish.

They've been looking into a thing called aquaculture, basically breeding aquatic animals for consumption either in man-made aquatic facilities or in giant netted in areas in the wild waters. Unfortunately this also is accompanied by a bunch of negative impacts on the environment. (fecal pollution, genetically modified fish escaping and breeding with wildtypes...)

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#412059 - 05/04/10 08:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Fisherman are smart enough to know that if they catch all of the fish one year, there won't be as many next year and it could take years for the population to replinish itself and their livelihood would be fucked anyway. 

Chill said:
Quote:

They've been looking into a thing called aquaculture, basically breeding aquatic animals for consumption either in man-made aquatic facilities or in giant netted in areas in the wild waters. Unfortunately this also is accompanied by a bunch of negative impacts on the environment. (fecal pollution, genetically modified fish escaping and breeding with wildtypes...)

Doing that would be a terrible idea.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#412062 - 05/04/10 08:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Theres a little thing called a "Slot Limit" for fish and Crab.

You NEVER take females or juveniles to protect the future breeding of each species.

Each boat also has a quota and cannot go over, and the season ends once quotas get filled.

If anything the fishing industry is bouncing back from terrible over-fishing back in the early to mid 1900s.

Do some research ChillWillis before you pretend to know what you are talking about.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#412065 - 05/04/10 08:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Theres a little thing called a "Slot Limit" for fish and Crab.

You NEVER take females or juveniles to protect the future breeding of each species.

Each boat also has a quota and cannot go over, and the season ends once quotas get filled.

If anything the fishing industry is bouncing back from terrible over-fishing back in the early to mid 1900s.

Do some research ChillWillis before you pretend to know what you are talking about.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#412073 - 05/04/10 09:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

They don't have the option to change the seasons, the state and the federal government has made it their burden to manage fisheries, and they do a piss poor job at it, I'll give you that. Fisheries management is based mostly on voodoo-biology, we have yet to discover how the ocean ecosystems works as a whole, and we can not take into account the many factors that effect the survivability and abundance of fish stocks. So fisherman have moved to shorter fishing seasons, and individual fishing quotas to limit their potential impact. Its common sense that you would always want to leave enough breeders to carry on the next generation. To completely fish out a resource is almost unheard-of.

Aquaculture is basically this:

1. Take a bunch of fish spawned in a hatchery
2. Pen them up together as close as possible for most financial gain
3. Feed them food that is derived and concentrated from commercial caught fish (Talk about mercury, farmed fish have the highest mercury levels)
4. Let them shit all over the sea floor causing mass decay and killing off all native wild life in the area
5. Breed diseases that are transmitted to the local wild stocks of fish, potentially decimating already endangered fish.
6. Harvest the toxic fish and dye the flesh with food coloring because farmed fish flesh is gray and dirty looking.
7. Enjoy!

That doesn't even take into account the 100,000's of farmed fish that escape and compete with the wild fish for their food supply.

Edited by DungenessDank (05/04/10 09:07 PM)

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#412108 - 05/04/10 09:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I mentioned that there are restrictive fishing laws in the post you just replied to Inverted, why you trying to argue about what I already stated was true? Are you grumpy because I don't like Deadliest Catch?

I think you need to do some research yourself if you think the fish population is 'bouncing back'.

Quote:

Overall, more than 75 percent of world fish stocks for which assessment information is available are reported as already fully exploited or overexploited

source
It continues to say something like we need to reevaluate our fish conservation methods because they're not working.

It also says:
Quote:

An international group of leading ecologists and economists have warned that worldwide fisheries could totally collapse by 2048 if no action is taken to halt current levels of overfishing.

Same source

Just because we now have limitations in some countries does not mean that fish populations are just popping back up. Read around a bit you'll see that there's a huge call from biologists and ecologists to do a complete overhaul on fishery conservation programs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world+fish+populations
They're all about depletion of fish.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#412118 - 05/04/10 09:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Whoa buddy chill out WILLIS.

I'm talking about the United States fishing regulations, not global.

Where did I once mention anything regarding fishing regulations on a global scale?  I'm talking specifically about fishing in the PNW/Bering Sea.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#412124 - 05/04/10 09:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:
An international group of leading ecologists and economists have warned that worldwide fisheries could totally collapse by 2048 if no action is taken to halt current levels of overfishing.

Yet every year, we still have fish and other seafood at a reasonable price.  Unless you're buying rare shit, then obviously it's more expensive.

Some fishermen take care of the water better than others too.  Same thing as the campers who throw plastic everywhere and the ones who clean up after themselves.  Know what I'm sayin?

And what the fuck would an economist know about the fish population in Alaska??  Their job is to make money, not save fish.  And under the pretense of "All the fish are gonna be gone by 2048 so we gotta charge more..." there's a lot of money to be made for a lot of years.

--------------------

Edited by FarBeyondDriven (05/04/10 09:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom