Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Hempy problems..
    #408242 - 04/28/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I swear.. There once was a time when I actually thought growing weed was easy. But it seems the farther I get, the harder things get. I'm probably just making it so much harder than it really is lol.. anyways, I was hoping someone could help...

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
seed, two plants are from seed companies, the other two are bag seed
2. How old are your plants?
known strains are 10 days old, bag seed is about three weeks old
3. How tall are your plants?
I'm not there to measure them, but I would say all are around 4-5 inches
4. What size containers are they planted in?
solo cups, although they are clear, so I had to wrap them with tinfoil and tape.. I know its cheap... Just temporary
5. What is your soil mix?
hempy bucket method, soil-less mix: 80% perlite 20% vermiculite
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
every other day, tap water with nutrients added
7. What is the pH of your water?
the tap water is around 7.5, with nutes added it runs about 6
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
general hydroponics floramicro and florabloom
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
negative
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
three 42 watt cfls, 126 watts total
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
about 3 inches away
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
about 16 square feet
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
temp is from 74 to 77, the ladder being mid-day, humidity is about 28%
14. What is the pH of the soil?
I'm not quite sure how to test the pH of the mix
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
only small gnats, and only one or two.. other than that, negative
16. How much experience do you have growing?
not much.. I've successfully harvested some hermaphrodites.. lol.. bag seed.. recently my past 3 or grows have not went well, the plants all not living much past the seedling stage.

Well now, that pretty much summed up everything.. But my problem is, my plants seem to be growing slowly. They all have developed small rust spots, not many, but noticeable. The plants have also become a bit lighter green. The leaves arch downwards and there is like a dark red at the very edges of the new growth.. I thought this was a nutrient overdose, so I decided to flush them with tap water. Not a good idea I found out, the plants curled up worse showing signs of a pH problem. So I flushed them with a mild nutrient solution, 1/4tsp per gallon of both the floramicro and florabloom. I may be doing something wrong there also. By the way, this only happened with my bag seed, I will get to the others later. And now today, they seem the same as yesterday, maybe even worse..

The seedlings were watered with tap water up until they were transfered to the hempy cups. I then watered them with a solution of 1/4 tsp per gallon of nutrients. So today, the results were bad. One curled up, showing signs of overdose I'm guessing? The other developed small dark green spots on the bottom of the leaves, more like blotches. And they both have the small brown rusty spots that the others do, and the red on the edges of the new leaves. So is my whole problem nutrients overdose? I've looked for pictures but I can't find any that resemble what mine looks like.

I can provide pictures, I know that might be helpful. But I wouldn't be able to post them until tomorrow because I'm not around the plants. Sorry this mother fucker was so long.. lol.. Thank you for your time if you've gotten this far..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: FrakersFarm]
    #408279 - 04/28/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well first off.... wrong form. :tongue: Teehee... Hempy Bucket is actually considered hydroponic. No big deal, though it might help if you tell us the EC/PPM of your water and nutrient solution.

Quote:

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What type of hydro system are you using?
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution?
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
14. How close are your lights to the plants?
15. What size is your grow space in square feet?
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
18. How much experience do you have growing?

Some of the symptoms you described actually sound more like a deficiency. :tongue: This may explain why flushing and applying a weaker concentration of nutrients did little to nothing to help. Though you were right to flush the plants. "When in doubt, flush em out." Is it possible to see pictures by any chance? Your description was quite accurate but I think a picture would definitely help get a better and more accurate diagnosis.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (04/28/10 04:34 PM)

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: TomCollins]
    #408297 - 04/28/10 04:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm confused too..

Are you testing ph???

My hempy cups got hit with some green, but I hit back wif da neem.

So I increased the air flow, and picked out some males.  Showing sex and only 3in. (Purple White widow)

You HAVE to test EC/PH and have mucho air flow.

Some of my plants are reaching up, REAL healthy.  But some are droopy...I started from seed in the hempy cups.

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #408531 - 04/28/10 09:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

lol.. yeah I know, I thought about using the hydroponic form, but I dont have the ppm/ec so I figured I'd go with the soil form. I read that I didn't need a ppm/ec meter as much, as long as I had the pH tester. Which I do have, and yes I test the water every time. Regular tap is about 7.5 to 8, with nutrients added it is around 6. The air flow may be my problem, I only have one small fan, and there is really no outlet for air to escape. I used my closet and covered the entry with black painters plastic, there is quite a bit of air space towards the bottom because I cut slits vertically in the plastic. I never had a problem until I started growing this way either (in grow tents, or enclosed spaces).

I will put up pictures tomorrow, although today they were looking in such bad shape I was ashamed to take any and put them up! I hope that will help. Should I buy a ppm/ec meter? Or should I just go back to growing in regular old soil? The hempy method was recommended to me, but it's becoming more expensive than my soil grows, although the last soil grow did not turn out very well.. That being the reason I switched to the said to be easier hempy method.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#408798 - 04/29/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Try getting the ph down around 5.6-5.9

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: DieselB]
    #408830 - 04/29/10 02:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Is it ok to use vinegar to lower the pH? Or will that just make things worse? I really would like to get around buying the pH up and pH down set from GH..  I've got some pics to post in a bit. Last night I looked for a formula for the "lucas" method, the one I found said 5ml per gallon of the floramicro, and 10ml per gallon of the florabloom. It also said to cut the formula in half for seedlings, which I did. Which raised my dosing to 1/2 tsp of floramicro, and 1tsp of florabloom. I flushed all the plants with this solution, and now I'm hoping I did the right thing. As soon as I get the pictures uploaded to my file on here, I will post them.. Thanks for the help so far guys

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #408918 - 04/29/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, you can use vinegar and baking soda/lime/Cal. Carbonate to raise/lower ph.  Just take it easy with it and pick up a bottle of pH up/down when you can (more reliable).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

#408926 - 04/29/10 04:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok here are the pictures. First will be the safari mix seedling:

Can you see the dark green blotch in that third picture?
Next is the Hawaiian Snow seedling:

That one isn't looking as bad as the others.. I used the paper to help show the color of the leaves, it was kind of hard to see with a brown background.
Next are the bag seed plants, I won't separate them because there's no need.

OK so thats it, I hope that gives it away.. I also wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep them watered and fed while I go on a 5 day vacation? I'm thinking some sort of wick system..

Thanks coda, I'll try that out next time and see if it helps.

Edited by FrakersFarm (04/29/10 04:50 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #408956 - 04/29/10 05:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yah, this looks like a classic pH problem to me.  The blotches and rust spots are probably due to a lockout from the pH issue.

--------------------

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: coda]
    #408989 - 04/29/10 07:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet.. That's easy enough. Thanks again

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #409103 - 04/29/10 10:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Good luck, btw what's your temperature like?  You might want to consider moving the light away from the plants a little bit too if it's really warm in there.  Also, at some point, you're going to need more light if you don't have it already.  Those cfl's won't cut it for long, at least with the amount you have. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Hempy problems.. [Re: coda]
    #409816 - 04/30/10 10:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My temp was around 77 degrees F. I decided that more air flow and a lower temp would be better though, so I opened up some holes in my black plastic covering to let some air in and added another small fan. The temp quickly dropped to 75 within a few minutes, so I think thats a good sign. And yes I have more cfls to cover it I think, got about 8. I also have a small 150 watt hps, but I haven't had great luck with it in the past, possibly because my space was so small and it got a little too hot.

What about the wicking thing? Has anyone ever heard of someone doing that? I know it can be done. But would it work with the hempys? Vacation is coming soon lol, so I have to figure something out man

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #412632 - 05/05/10 05:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this wont work with hempy's, if you needed to the best bet would be an automatic drip system of some sort.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck