Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
13eetle's Question & Answer
    #403574 - 04/18/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Where I ask the questions and you give the answers.

I've got a whole heap of unanswered cultivation questions popping up in my mind throughout the day so I've decided to come here to write them down as they occur to me. With due diligence I'm sure the answers could most likely be found using the search function and I intend to do just this and update my post with the answers but, I've got a lot of questions, that's a lot of searching, and nobody is gonna twist your arm to leave a reply. :laugh:

Without further ado; the questions:

ONE 1.)

Nutrients: supposing there's an abundant supply of rich, natural dirt around... weeds, plants, and grasses all EXPLODE growing wild from the dirt in this area...
-the question is: Can I shovel up a knee-high length tube sock full of this rich BLACK dirt, tie it off at the end and toss it in a 5 gallon bucket of water for awhile to make some home-made nutrient tea fertilizer or would there be dire consequences of the likes that I can't even imagine?
-perhaps it'd be ill advised b/c I may introduce microorganism that could harm my otherwise flourishing indoor garden?

TWO 2.)

To trim or not to trim??? That is the question on MY fucking mind: In so many posts I see people talking about trimming up the yellow, weak, damaged, dying or otherwise undesired leaves under the canopy and on lower branches. However, I've seen on just as many occasions someone else state that one should NOT remove leaves and just let the plant drop them naturally.
-the question is: WTF!?
-I think I can see the validity behind the arguments for AND against trimming. On the one hand you remove from the canopy, dead or dying biological material that is otherwise prone to rot or disease in an effort to protect your plants because indoors they lack the natural environmental protections provided in nature. There's also the added light for those sacred lower budsites.

On the other hand however, by cutting or trimming the plant you are leaving an open wound, exposing the plant's fragile internal biology to the myriad of fungal and bacterial invaders that are trying to find a way in.

I'm sure there's more. Let's discuss! :smile:

THREE 3.)
Molasses: Say what? :macdre: Anybody got a link to a tek?
-Searching this is on my to-do list (which has gotten MUCH longer since I started growing my own)

FOUR 4.)
Compost: So I just build a wooden box, fill it with organic matter, toss in a handfull of worms, and let it sorta rot off in the far corner of my yard for awhile? :hippie:
-Yep, I've got some reading to do on this one too. Until I get around to it, perhaps you'd like to give me a few pro tips or heads-up to some common pitfalls in composting.

FIVE 5.)
www?: What other great websites do you recommend a fellow browse to learn about cultivation? Are there any to stay away from?  :whacker:

**MORE questions to come**

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 13eetle's Question & Answer [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #403613 - 04/18/10 10:07 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

I'll give it a whack!

1) I never thought of that before. Sounds like a great idea. Don't see how it could be much harm if you are growing in soil. I'm going to try this with some rich washout dirt I found earlier today. I figure if it grows an ungodly amount of fiddleheads, it must be good for herb.

2) TRIM!!! I don't know too much about "sacred lower budsites." I HATE tiny little popcorn nugs. And I hate trimming them even more. I never cut off leaves. Let them drop naturally. But the lower branches have to go! You will more than make up for it on the topside of the plant where the big buds are.

3) Yes Molasses. Any kind of blackstrap molasses is ideal; preferably Brer Rabbit Blackstrap (Whole Foods). Grandma's Gold will also work. Just one key word when looking for blackstrap, "unsulphured." Molasses works just as well, if not better, than those overpriced "bud sweeteners" sold in the hydro shops. Don't waste money, go molasses. Use during flowering, 1 Tbsp. per gallon of water.

4) Composting is just a dream for me at the moment. I really would like to do it eventually. Unfortunately, I'm kinda in the dark on this one too.

5) I'm exclusive to to the Growery as far as posting,  but for research I often visit: icmag.com, rollitup.org, and cannibusculture.com.

Be sure to check out my Grow Journal I just updated (2 days early), but it's a good one.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Re: 13eetle's Question & Answer [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #403681 - 04/19/10 02:04 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
I'll give it a whack!

1) I never thought of that before. Sounds like a great idea. Don't see how it could be much harm if you are growing in soil. I'm going to try this with some rich washout dirt I found earlier today. I figure if it grows an ungodly amount of fiddleheads, it must be good for herb.

2) TRIM!!! I don't know too much about "sacred lower budsites." I HATE tiny little popcorn nugs. And I hate trimming them even more. I never cut off leaves. Let them drop naturally. But the lower branches have to go! You will more than make up for it on the topside of the plant where the big buds are.

3) Yes Molasses. Any kind of blackstrap molasses is ideal; preferably Brer Rabbit Blackstrap (Whole Foods). Grandma's Gold will also work. Just one key word when looking for blackstrap, "unsulphured." Molasses works just as well, if not better, than those overpriced "bud sweeteners" sold in the hydro shops. Don't waste money, go molasses. Use during flowering, 1 Tbsp. per gallon of water.

4) Composting is just a dream for me at the moment. I really would like to do it eventually. Unfortunately, I'm kinda in the dark on this one too.

5) I'm exclusive to to the Growery as far as posting,  but for research I often visit: icmag.com, rollitup.org, and cannibusculture.com.

Be sure to check out my Grow Journal I just updated (2 days early), but it's a good one.

1.) I'll grab my spade in the morning and see what I come up with. :thumbup:

2.) Sorry for the "sacred" confusion; sarcasm doesn't translate well in text. I suppose I fumbled in the terminology. I get it now though, trim lower branches but let yellowing leaves fall off on their own. Gotcha.

3.) Excellent. Is it merely an additive for taste or does it have a nutritional, yield, or potency value as well?

4.) It was more of a stoner fixation I think as I was doing yard work and mowing the lawn today. TBH, I just got into this hobby and I'm not really ready for composting yet. This is definitely a bottom of the list item. :smirk:

5.) Thanks for the links! icmag is HUGE!! :vaped:

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 13eetle's Question & Answer [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #403725 - 04/19/10 07:49 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Here's what I gathered from my research on molasses:

The point of using molasses is to provide sugars to the plant, and ultimately sweeten the buds. It does this by making the simple sugars available to the plant in an already usable form. In this way, the plant doesn't need to make these sugars itself. It just needs to transport the sugars from the roots which frees up more energy for it do other things (other than actually making the sugars).

Not sure about the nutritional value to the plant but I'm pretty certain there is some. It seems to me that molasses would affect potency and yield in a positive way. If the plant doesn't need to make as many sugars then it can use the energy to do all the other "plant things" plants do. Such as make more buds and trichomes.

I liken it to the way that hydroponic nutrients are already broken down into a usable form for the plant. All the plant has to do is absorb and transport it instead of producing it by itself.

Edit: I don't post on icmag because there are too many weed snobs there. There are many good grows there, unfortunately, many of the people growing there are on some sorta massive ego trip. That just makes everyone on edge and makes people pick apart every little thing. It happens here to, just not to the same extent.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Edited by DrGreenThumb (04/19/10 07:54 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck