Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaerie
Stranger

Newby (pics now)
    #392040 - 03/29/10 10:56 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I'm starting my first grow.
I bought a pretty nice amount of good equipment which I'm going to set up but I'll need your help. Everything seems to be relatively easy to do but my only trouble will be understanding the nutrients because I am doing deep water. So what I need is maybe a tek for it. Depending on how sketched out I'm feeling lol I may start a grow log. I've got 2 sets of seeds coming both fem'd northern light and blue mystic because I wanted small bushy plants.

Edited by aerie (03/30/10 10:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Newby [Re: aerie]
    #392048 - 03/29/10 11:34 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Different nutrient lines have different dosages, but it should say on the bottle they come with.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (03/29/10 12:17 PM)

Offlineaerie
Stranger

Re: Newby [Re: TomCollins]
    #392328 - 03/29/10 07:00 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

What is confusing to me though and even after asking a lot of people I don't know how much has been diluted or how powerful the nutrients will be after a while. So like after a week if there's 10% of what I put in originally how do I know because then things start to become a game trying to weigh in how much of this or that is left. Then if I add more of something that was low and it had another ingredient that was also key would it be diluted at the same rate or would I just be adding to something that didn't need it while refilling the other lacking nutrient. I hope that's not too confusing. I was told that I could buy a PPM meter that looks like my PH meter but I'm not sure how that works.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #392540 - 03/29/10 11:54 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I've heard of some nutes clogging up some things in hydro, but I'm not sure what they are. Make sure you dont buy those ones :lol:. I would reccomend Flornova grow, because I'm using it currently and getting great results. But I dont know if that one blocks the shit up or not....

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Newby *DELETED* [Re: Triptonic]
    #392542 - 03/30/10 12:03 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: gh

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Newby [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #392544 - 03/30/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

:rofl2: it is thick as shit.

OfflineTomCollins

#392585 - 03/30/10 03:12 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

aerie said:
What is confusing to me though and even after asking a lot of people I don't know how much has been diluted or how powerful the nutrients will be after a while. So like after a week if there's 10% of what I put in originally how do I know because then things start to become a game trying to weigh in how much of this or that is left. Then if I add more of something that was low and it had another ingredient that was also key would it be diluted at the same rate or would I just be adding to something that didn't need it while refilling the other lacking nutrient. I hope that's not too confusing. I was told that I could buy a PPM meter that looks like my PH meter but I'm not sure how that works.

I know it's very confusing and I had a lot of trouble understanding it myself at first. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit of a learning experience. Here is my understanding of things:

Many people will tell you to buy a TDS meter, which is good too but bear in mind it was never created for horticultural and hydroponic applications. An EC meter is made specifically for measuring hydroponic nutrients in water. So I would recommend that instead, but really it doesn't matter too much.

Essentially, an EC meter puts a numerical value on how diluted your water is with chemicals and nutrients. This is CAN be useful for different things.

Here's a good but sort of silly example: I've filled up my reservoir with water, but I don't know exactly how much water is in there. :doh: Ah, but I know my plants perform the best at an EC of 1.8, so therefore I can apply nutrients into a reservoir without having to know how much water is in the reservoir. Otherwise, you would be SOL.

The tool lets you know exactly how much you've altered the solution numerically. So really, an EC meter is there to help you diagnose possible problems and to place numeric values on nutrient concentrations in your water, which are useful to YOU because then you can know what EC your plants perform the best at for example. The device gives you more control over your nutrient solution.

However, the device will not tell you WHICH nutrients you are deficient in for example. This can only be done as far as I know by looking at the plants themselves.

NOW HERE IS WHERE THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT:
Some hydroponic growers believe it is best to empty out your reservoir and refill the whole things every 7-10 days. This is when an EC meter isn't overly useful.

However, if your working with say a 40litre tank like I am and at the end of 10 days there's still half of it left, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to me to dump that shit once a week - hydro nutes are expensive and I also use stuff like subculture which is suppose to stay in your water for 6 weeks. It is not an option for me to dump my res. Apparently, your reservoir should always have a good amount of solution in it anyway to prevent drastic PH and temperature fluctuations. So, let's say my target EC is 1.8. Using an EC meter I can safely add more nutrient solution into the reservoir, without screwing up the concentration.

Does this make any sense? :tongue:

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlineaerie
Stranger

#392610 - 03/30/10 07:35 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Yes, thank you all for the input.

I'll try and provide pics of what I have later today just to show you guys.

Offlineaerie
Stranger

#392636 - 03/30/10 10:02 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

OfflineTomCollins

#392637 - 03/30/10 10:13 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Badass man. That's a good lookin setup you have there. Make sure you make a log! :thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Offlineaerie
Stranger

#392764 - 03/30/10 02:04 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

How can I drain this bad boy? I'm under the impression I am supposed to drain all the water out every couple weeks to start fresh? The guy at the hydro store said I just added new stuff each time things got low. He said that middle hole where the 3 holes are on one side I can use as an access and cap it when not doing anything so I'm a little confused.

OfflineTomCollins

#392879 - 03/30/10 03:45 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

aerie said:
How can I drain this bad boy? I'm under the impression I am supposed to drain all the water out every couple weeks to start fresh? The guy at the hydro store said I just added new stuff each time things got low. He said that middle hole where the 3 holes are on one side I can use as an access and cap it when not doing anything so I'm a little confused.

There is suppose to be a drain valve at the bottom of the tank. Easy fix: PVC ball valve, drill and universal silicon.

You can get away with never really changing out your res completely. It's not a good thing to do but you can do it. For best results, the rez should be dumped and cleaned every couple of weeks.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Offlineaerie
Stranger

#392890 - 03/30/10 04:37 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Ok so I should probably elevate it off the floor with some kind of frame so I don't have to lift it up or move plants to drain it.

OfflineTomCollins

#392893 - 03/30/10 04:43 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

This would be one way to go about it. Another way is to use a pump. :wink:

Check out this guys grow log:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/244075#244075

--------------------
andyistic said:

Offlineaerie
Stranger

#392908 - 03/30/10 05:53 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

If I used a pump wouldn't the nutrients left over naturally just settle to the bottom? Maybe use a shop vac?
I think the pump is a good idea but I guess I would have to run some more water into it again just to flush out leftovers so I could get myself a completely new slate.

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #393221 - 03/31/10 02:28 PM (14 years, 11 hours ago)

Got your message and thanks for the thread bump spency. I drain mine with a pump. Most res's you can never get all of the old nutrients out, but you just get as much as you can. If you have room to elevate your tub you can drain it the same way i do just using gravity instead of a pump. As far as the nutrients setteling, that really only happens with organics. Chemical nutrients wont and are the easiest to use and lowest maintenance. I tried organic and It doesnt work well in dwc. For my drain, I just bought a 1/2" ball valve and gromet and drilled a hole low in the tub. Here's a pic of that...

Its not the best pic, but you can see it on the bottom right corner.

Offlineaerie
Stranger

Re: Newby [Re: Integra21]
    #393297 - 03/31/10 03:46 PM (14 years, 10 hours ago)

Very cool. Great pictures to go with the good information, thank you for responding.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #393349 - 03/31/10 05:05 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Chemical nutrients wont and are the easiest to use and lowest maintenance. I tried organic and It doesnt work well in dwc. For my drain, I just bought a 1/2" ball valve and gromet and drilled a hole low in the tub. Here's a pic of that...

Not when you use flora nova....

That was from furrowedbrow's grow, shit is amazingly goopy.  It is inorganic as well.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newby [Re: coda]
    #393563 - 03/31/10 11:19 PM (14 years, 2 hours ago)

If they were strait chemical nutrients it would look like koolaid, but nova has some organics in it. Thats what always makes that brown sludge. I get a little from my B vitamin supliment and sugar daddy, but they are minimal and can only be felt(slime) not seen. But a lot of chemical ferts have organic ingredients in them. So it all depends on what you're running.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale