Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic Fertilizers?
    #374825 - 02/27/10 07:37 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Just curious what you guys think. (I searched already and found nothing)

Right now, I'm using this chemical, liquid fertilizer for my soil grow.

Seems to me that chemical is the best, because the nutrients are ready to be used right away as they are just dissolved in water (does not need to be broken down from organic matter like in Organic fertilizers). But this is not how plants absorb nutrients in the wild: they do it from decaying organic matter on the ground, which makes organic, natural fert. sound better.

What do you guys think, which one is better and why?

Thanks for any helpful input
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/27/10 08:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #374831 - 02/27/10 07:47 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Organics give you lots of flavor.  So does quality compost.  Chemical fertilizers will grow buds beautifully, but the smoke taste like hay.  Go organic all the way if its for personal stash!:syringe::mushroom2:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #374833 - 02/27/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'm personally a fan of the chemical fertilizers, but I prefer ones of a slightly higher quality (read: more cannabis specific) than the one you use. For exactly the reason you outlined; chemical fertilizers are essentially exactly the same as organic fertilizers, only with a much more rapid absorption rate because you're skipping the step of decomposition within the soil. Of course, an argument can be made that the bacteria and viruses living within the soil are beneficial to over health of the root system, but this can be accomplished with hydroponic nutrients via beneficial innoculations and fulvic acids etc.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: encryptor]
    #374835 - 02/27/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

encryptor said:
Organics give you lots of flavor.  So does quality compost.  Chemical fertilizers will grow buds beautifully, but the smoke taste like hay.  Go organic all the way if its for personal stash!:syringe::mushroom2:

I so highly disagree with that :grin:

read; http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/262585#262585

--------------------

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: encryptor]
    #374839 - 02/27/10 07:54 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

encryptor said:
Chemical fertilizers will grow buds beautifully, but the smoke taste like hay.

Flush + Cure = Fixed

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach] * 1
    #374855 - 02/27/10 08:10 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

encryptor said:

I so highly disagree with that :grin:

read; http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/262585#262585

Yeah, you're gonna have a hell of a time backing that one up encryptor.

As for me, I go all organic b/c I can constantly reuse my soil, so it makes economic sense for me, and because I like the product I grow in my dialed-in organic system.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #374859 - 02/27/10 08:15 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Good answer 81!

So to recap: Using organic nutrients in soil is some-what perpetual between grows. Unlike chemical nutrients, which are absorbed by the plant, leaving the soil "nutrient-poor" for the next time.

Interesting. Never thought of that. Its like putting back the nutrients it had after composting it.

And its interesting how some "Trusted Cultivators" prefer soil while others like hydro. I love that. I figured every pro-grower would choose hydro, but I have seen here that's not always true (maybe raraly true).

Cool!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/28/10 06:13 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #374868 - 02/27/10 08:24 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

nah, I go with hydro because it produces faster growth rates but I definitely have a giant soft spot in my heart for gettin' dirty and digging in some soil. Something about gardening in dirt just makes my soul happy :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374968 - 02/27/10 11:32 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I prefer organic nutrients over chemical nutrients. Organic nutrients do not burn your roots when you over feed. I like a good organic top soil. Or an organic soilless mix. I like Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice grow and bloom. For my base nutrients.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #375009 - 02/28/10 05:53 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Alright, I'll put that down:

> With organic nutrients, its impossible to burn your plants roots, even with overfeeding.

> With chemical nutrients, overfeeding a plant can lead to burnt roots, which harm and can potential kill the plant(?).

Score 1 for Organic
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #375079 - 02/28/10 10:03 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

yep, you can chemically burn your plant with non-organic fertilizers

Another something, I suppose could be called a plus, is that you can get away without flushing organic nutrients before harvest

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #375084 - 02/28/10 10:12 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

encryptor said:

As was already pointed out this is a bunch of bullshit.  And also as was already said, it's harder to burn your plants using organic mixtures vs chemical mixtures (although it is not impossible, you can overfeed using organic nutes to. Dump a pound of bone meal in your soil and see what happens).  So i really think that when used properly there isn't too much difference between the two with the end results.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: coda]
    #375219 - 02/28/10 01:27 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Greetings Mr. Coda. Are you upset? Dump a pound of bone meal in your soil and see what happens? Ouch. Depending on how much soil you are mixing with that pound. That is enough bone meal(phosphorus), in a five gallon bucket to torch the roots of most budding plants. I Like organic liquid fertilizers such as fish emulsion. Specifically Iguana Juice grow and bloom for my base nutrients. They are very gentle. In fact, When you over feed using these, the roots simply won't take up any more of the nutrients and wont get chemically cooked by the nutrient. It is the water logging of the root system that causes them to rot. Not burn. :peace:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #375228 - 02/28/10 01:46 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

I'm not angry at all, I'm just point out the fallacy of the argument that you can't burn your plants with organics.  You can burn your plants with any type of nutrients regardless if they're chelated or not.  Feeding your plants is all about proper balance and timing.  You can overdose your plants with organic fertilizers too, it's a common misconception that people have, just because it's "organic" does not mean you can feed your plants every watering at high dosage levels with no ill effects.

--------------------

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: coda]
    #375244 - 02/28/10 02:06 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:
  You can burn your plants with any type of nutrients regardless if they're chelated or not.  Feeding your plants is all about proper balance and timing.  You can overdose your plants with organic fertilizers too, it's a common misconception that people have, just because it's "organic" does not mean you can feed your plants every watering at high dosage levels with no ill effects.

I know that. It just seem you wouldn't want to feed your plants high dosages of nutrients at every feeding. Unless you were mad at something.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #375254 - 02/28/10 02:27 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

I know that. It just seem you wouldn't want to feed your plants high dosages of nutrients at every feeding. Unless you were mad at something.

One would think so right?  But what's the number one problem associated with new cannabis growers?  Over feeding/watering!  So if a newbie reads "it's impossible to burn with organics" and thinks "more food = more buds" then the next logical step for them is to start dumping in heaping spoonfuls of food to their water thinking it will work out!  So for people who have experience growing and know how to feed their plants, they most certainly won't make the same mistakes as listed above.  But to people starting out with little to no knowledge, it's important for them to learn how to feed and what not to do (and that includes doing things like dumping a pound of bone meal into a 3 gallon pot :wink:)

Don't take my comments as a slant on organics, I have nothing against the choice of choosing to use only organic methods to grow.  When I first started out I avoided chelated nutes like the plague, but now I'm liking them more for their ease of use and concentration.

--------------------

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#375319 - 02/28/10 03:56 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

What about some of the DIY guano teas and stuff?  Those seem like it'd be extremely hard to burn plants with.. no?

Also, wow... I was going to ask about chelated nutes and what that meant.. Then I said fuck it and decided to look it up, and I must say I still wouldn't mind the layman's interpretation...

My basic understanding though is that chelates protect a nutrient compound from 'binding' (or whatever) with heavy metals etc, and that in organic it's basically microorganisms and stuff which do the chelating for you?
  What's the difference?  Just not having to rely on a micro herd?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: DudeTron]
    #375324 - 02/28/10 04:01 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

yep, you pretty much nailed it

--------------------

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: What are the Pro's and Con's of Chemical and Organic fertilizers? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #375389 - 02/28/10 05:35 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

So if a nute is chelated will it be automatically uptaken as long as PH is correct etc?  Does this make chelated nutes more concentrated and organic more time release?  What kind of timeframe do organic nutes work on, like would a heavy organic feeding last alot longer?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds