Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAuguestWest
Stranger

the american experimentation of human extermination. * 3
    #373412 - 02/25/10 03:31 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

The Chemist's War

The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition with deadly consequences.
By Deborah Blum

It was Christmas Eve 1926, the streets aglitter with snow and lights, when the man afraid of Santa Claus stumbled into the emergency room at New York City's Bellevue Hospital. He was flushed, gasping with fear: Santa Claus, he kept telling the nurses, was just behind him, wielding a baseball bat.

Before hospital staff realized how sick he was—the alcohol-induced hallucination was just a symptom—the man died. So did another holiday partygoer. And another. As dusk fell on Christmas, the hospital staff tallied up more than 60 people made desperately ill by alcohol and eight dead from it. Within the next two days, yet another 23 people died in the city from celebrating the season.

Doctors were accustomed to alcohol poisoning by then, the routine of life in the Prohibition era. The bootlegged whiskies and so-called gins often made people sick. The liquor produced in hidden stills frequently came tainted with metals and other impurities. But this outbreak was bizarrely different. The deaths, as investigators would shortly realize, came courtesy of the U.S. government.

Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after it was banned, federal officials had decided to try a different kind of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The idea was to scare people into giving up illicit drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal poisoning program, by some estimates, had killed at least 10,000 people.

Although mostly forgotten today, the "chemist's war of Prohibition" remains one of the strangest and most deadly decisions in American law-enforcement history. As one of its most outspoken opponents, Charles Norris, the chief medical examiner of New York City during the 1920s, liked to say, it was "our national experiment in extermination." Poisonous alcohol still kills—16 people died just this month after drinking lethal booze in Indonesia, where bootleggers make their own brews to avoid steep taxes—but that's due to unscrupulous businessmen rather than government order.

for full read, http://www.slate.com/id/2245188/?GT1=38001

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: AuguestWest]
    #373414 - 02/25/10 03:33 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

wow, that's fuxed up mang

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #373559 - 02/25/10 06:31 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Interesting.  I didn't know any of that.  :bigblunt:  New knowledge ftw!  prohibition ftl!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineAuguestWest
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #373568 - 02/25/10 06:41 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

could you imagine if they tried this shit today, i mean this was less than 100 years ago. what if they sprayed our bud fields with something toxic.  MURDER!! someone call the :agentgtfo: wait there in on it:albundy:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #373572 - 02/25/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Weird shit man, weird shit.

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
    #373573 - 02/25/10 06:48 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

AuguestWest said:
could you imagine if they tried this shit today, i mean this was less than 100 years ago. what if they sprayed our bud fields with something toxic.  MURDER!! someone call the :agentgtfo: wait there in on it:albundy:

they sprayed da buds in da 70's to make them cause cancer duhhh son wtf :awedrugs: know ur historyy

--------------------

OfflineAuguestWest
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: Homosapian]
    #373578 - 02/25/10 06:54 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

haha my bad. how did they get too the buds!! I guess they could do it too all the big outdoor grows they know about. very sad

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #373606 - 02/25/10 07:30 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

AuguestWest said:
The Chemist's War

The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition with deadly consequences.
By Deborah Blum

It was Christmas Eve 1926, the streets aglitter with snow and lights, when the man afraid of Santa Claus stumbled into the emergency room at New York City's Bellevue Hospital. He was flushed, gasping with fear: Santa Claus, he kept telling the nurses, was just behind him, wielding a baseball bat.

Before hospital staff realized how sick he was—the alcohol-induced hallucination was just a symptom—the man died. So did another holiday partygoer. And another. As dusk fell on Christmas, the hospital staff tallied up more than 60 people made desperately ill by alcohol and eight dead from it. Within the next two days, yet another 23 people died in the city from celebrating the season.

Doctors were accustomed to alcohol poisoning by then, the routine of life in the Prohibition era. The bootlegged whiskies and so-called gins often made people sick. The liquor produced in hidden stills frequently came tainted with metals and other impurities. But this outbreak was bizarrely different. The deaths, as investigators would shortly realize, came courtesy of the U.S. government.

Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after it was banned, federal officials had decided to try a different kind of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The idea was to scare people into giving up illicit drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal poisoning program, by some estimates, had killed at least 10,000 people.

Although mostly forgotten today, the "chemist's war of Prohibition" remains one of the strangest and most deadly decisions in American law-enforcement history. As one of its most outspoken opponents, Charles Norris, the chief medical examiner of New York City during the 1920s, liked to say, it was "our national experiment in extermination." Poisonous alcohol still kills—16 people died just this month after drinking lethal booze in Indonesia, where bootleggers make their own brews to avoid steep taxes—but that's due to unscrupulous businessmen rather than government order.

for full read, http://www.slate.com/id/2245188/?GT1=38001

So.... they poisoned something so it wouldn't be stolen then used illegally.... Yea totally makes no sense.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #373614 - 02/25/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

yeah, the US pressured mexico to spray their fields with a poison.  Many people feared that the bud they were getting was toxic or contained toxic material so people started up testing services as a harm reduction strategy.  infact, this action by the federal government helped to start the indoor pot growing revolution.  I learned all this from a documentary.  I can't remember which one.  Maybe someone else who has seen it can remind me.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #374010 - 02/26/10 10:07 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I think they mention the field spraying in Marijuana Nation by National Geo. If I remember correctly they say it in a way that makes it sound like they know it poses a risk to the end user but the risk of drugs on society outweighs that.

But that knowledge and my hatred for cartels or organized crime in any form is why I buy local when possible.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineAuguestWest
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: pha3r0]
    #374044 - 02/26/10 11:48 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

yea not to mention the thousands of people the cartels are killing directly. SAY NO TO BLOOD WEED!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#374045 - 02/26/10 11:50 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

AuguestWest said:
Grow your own!!

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #374124 - 02/26/10 02:46 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

AuguestWest said:
Grow your own!!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: Inverted]
    #374494 - 02/27/10 08:23 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

One of my counsellors spent time in mexico while on his mission(mormon) and he said one day a man came into his office covered in blood and frantic. He got the man calmed down and got him a washcloth then the man told him he had just killed 3 men. The story is he was off tending his fields when he saw a fire from the direction of his house. He went to find his house in flames and his wife shot dead in the front yard, his kids were inside and already dead. The 3 men came walking up from a truck parked on the road, they were soldiers for some cartel and had been trying to push him off his land for years. He knew then what had happened and without hesitation grabbed his knife and killed all 3 of them in a rage.

So yeah...
Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

AuguestWest said:
Grow your own!!

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: pha3r0]
    #374512 - 02/27/10 09:46 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
One of my counsellors spent time in mexico while on his mission(mormon) and he said one day a man came into his office covered in blood and frantic. He got the man calmed down and got him a washcloth then the man told him he had just killed 3 men. The story is he was off tending his fields when he saw a fire from the direction of his house. He went to find his house in flames and his wife shot dead in the front yard, his kids were inside and already dead. The 3 men came walking up from a truck parked on the road, they were soldiers for some cartel and had been trying to push him off his land for years. He knew then what had happened and without hesitation grabbed his knife and killed all 3 of them in a rage.

So yeah...
Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

AuguestWest said:
Grow your own!!

Yea, Cartels fuck everything up. Why can't people be peaceful and be fine with "just getting by." People that get through life using violence and murder should be set loose upon themselves.

I'd love it if America for some reason just went "hey Mexico we are killing everyone in a cartel."

But sadly I also think America shouldn't do shit like that. I don't think we need to be isolationists, but damn do you think the U.N. could get by without America? (the answer is more than likely no)

But going back to your story, that is what really moves me. Imagine being that man. In one day his life was completely ruined. Who knows, he might of even felt bad for killing those three men. (I hope not though) Who wants to go to Mexico and kill (people in) cartels?  :guns:

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineAuguestWest
Stranger

Re: the american experimentation of human extermination. [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #374533 - 02/27/10 10:45 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

ha I'm confused on how i got quoted on saying grow your own!! when i didn't say that. Good advice nonetheless.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#374551 - 02/27/10 11:22 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

haha, I summarized you for you :grin:

you said "say no to blood weed" which I translated as "make your own weed so you know it's not bloody"

:lol:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#374960 - 02/27/10 11:15 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

yeah if only it were as easy as checking some ones ID for the 'i kill families for profit' sticker.

Really what we all need is a good dose of reality. The problem is though that we Americans have become so good at protecting ourselves from it that we are nearly immune. We need a lethal dose before we are aware of it's presence.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck