Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Extremely Droopy Plant
    #368051 - 02/19/10 09:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just switched my Jackberry over to a completely new system yesterday and its really really droopy. Not just the leaves even the stems are droopy.

Its in a 3 gallon bucket with 2+ gallons with river stone as the medium. I put 10 quarts of water to begin with (2.5 gallons) along with 13 tsp of Advanced Nutrient Grow. There is a 10 gallon aquarium pump attached to a maybe 2 inch x .75 inch air stone, kind of brittle, its a aquarium air stone. I currently have a 42w, 25w, and a 125w in there, I turn the two lower ones on at night and have the 125w on during the day. The temp gets about 76F - 82F.

Sad plant.. :sad:

Any ideas?

Im going to re-do it today. I am getting some expanded clay pellets. I think I might even re-do the nute solution and get a new air stone.

Edited by Dephect (02/19/10 10:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Extremely Droopy Plant [Re: Dephect]
    #368085 - 02/19/10 10:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Lights getting to roots?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Extremely Droopy Plant [Re: mhbound]
    #368087 - 02/19/10 11:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nope, they haven't even extended into the reservoir in the bucket yet. They are underneath all the rocks, and unless light is traveling through them its not getting to them.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368088 - 02/19/10 11:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is that standing water? They may be over watered then.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368090 - 02/19/10 11:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How far should the water come up on the net pot? Or the roots per say?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368110 - 02/19/10 11:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Did you switch it from soil?

And the roots are fine hanging in the water some as long as there is an airstrone to provide oxygen in the water.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #368124 - 02/19/10 01:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You cant have water up to the stem like that. The plant wont like it. First, carefully remove everything from the pot. Once every thing is removed its time to place the plant. You want to very gently try to get as many of the roots as possible to be hanging out of the bottom of the pot. You wont get them all, just get a good amount. When this is finished, you want about a 1-3" gab between the bottom of the pot and the bottom of your stem. Then hold the plant up in the centered in the pot with one hand and fill in stones on top of the roots and around the plant with the other hand. Do this until the plant is fully supported. Now the plant should be properly in the pot. Next is the res itself. I dont know anything about AN Grow(I use Technaflora) but that sounds like way too high of a nutrient mix. For a plant that size, you want your ppm's at around 500. With my nutrients thats about a 1.5 gallon formula in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Make sure the ph is around 5.8 when you're done mixing and about to put the plant in. Last is the air. The more the better. There is no such thing as to much. I have seen people have decent results using a pump that small, but it always goes better if you have more than you need. It is also helpful to have the stone centered under the pot. The larger bubbles that dont dissolve into the water can at least roll up the rots that way providing more oxygen to the roots. That is the best way I have found to set up a dwc bucket. I have only had one plant look that bad and theats when it fell out of the bucket and the roots dried up. I tried to put it back and save it, but it didnt make it. Good luck to you and I hope this helps. If your curios about my setup, there is a link to my journal in my sig. It has a lot of info on dwc and Scrog's in it.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Extremely Droopy Plant [Re: Integra21]
    #368177 - 02/19/10 02:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Okay so I went and got some ALIflor that I had at my house. Its a lightweight ceramic growing medium that has a neutral pH. I took out the river stones. Put the bottom tip of roots through the net pot and filled the pot up with the plant held in place at the top. It says when using AN Grow alone use 1.5 - 3.0 tsp per quart. 2.5 gallons = 10 quarts x 1.5 = 15 tsp. I put a light 10 tsp in. I got a new air stone today from the grow store. Put it all in the tent now she is sitting. I hope she can pull through. She was a free plant but if she goes then that means I fail the challenge.

Everyone please smoke a bowl in prayer for my downed plant. Wish her luck through these troublesome times!

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #368197 - 02/19/10 03:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you have done all you can. Smokin and prayin for her. Good luck.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368208 - 02/19/10 04:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks bro. I think there is still hope. Your problem might have not been solved because the roots were dry. My roots were not dry I just think the plant has too much water right now and that is what is causing it to be so floppy.

I bet in a day or so she will be nice and perky again.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368401 - 02/19/10 10:45 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Just wanted to confirm this. This is for other DWC users who have the same problem.

If your plants are droopy like mine check your water level. With DWC you want the water level to be below the net pot.

Why?
You don't want the water soaking the medium, you want the bubbles from the air stone to pop on the surface of the solution and splash the bottom of the pot hitting medium keeping it damp. If you over soak your roots you will have the same the same symptoms of a over watered plant. You need your roots to be somewhat exposed to air.

I poured the solution out leaving it 1"-2" below the pot. I think its safe to say that soaking 1/2 of the net pot is overkill.

Hopefully this will solve my problem and the plant has not been completely drowned.

Edited by Dephect (02/20/10 12:30 AM)

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #368413 - 02/19/10 11:30 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
Just wanted to confirm this. This is for other DWC users who have the same problem.

If your plants are droopy like mine check your water level. With DWC you want the water level to be below the net pot.

Why?
You don't want the water soaking the medium, you want the bubbles from the air stone to pop on the surface of the solution and splash the bottom of the pot hitting medium keeping it damp. If you over soak your roots you will have the same the same symptoms of a over watered plant. You need your roots to be somewhat exposed to air.

I poured the solution out leaving it 1"-2" below the pot.

Hopefully this will solve my problem and the plant has not been completely drowned.

That is the general way of doing it but isnt set in stone. If you have a lot of air in your nutrients(excessive) you can submerge the net pot to just below the base of the stem. I fill my res until the pots are 2/3 submerged and it never causes problems, but I only do this to combat my height restrictions. You also only want to do this with the right medium. I use Hydrotron, but any rock like, non-absorbative medium with work. But to give you an Idea of the air I'm moving here are some pics of my tubs

my air pumps(2 per tub)

And heres what they can do

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368420 - 02/20/10 12:01 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Nice. Well thank you for the hopeful wishing. I think it paid off.

Sometimes in the darkest of times the light shines brightest :smile:

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368423 - 02/20/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Yea that should do it. You caught it just in time...

I would support those branches if you can or feel comfortable, give it the best chance it has. :thumbup:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368426 - 02/20/10 12:32 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

How should I support them? I got some Popsicle sticks and zip ties. Also I have some plant markers that make a good post.

Do you think they might just perk up by themselves or do they need extra encouragement? I snipped some of the big fan leaves. Some of them turned a little crispy and I new they would never heal and wanted the plant to stop focusing on them.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368428 - 02/20/10 12:41 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

They will recover on their own but I say better safe than sorry..

I hate waking up to a branch thats been broken due to laziness on my part.

Zip ties are hard to get around the plant and then move when needed, if needed..

I like twist ties from like sandwich bags and wire and pipe cleaners

Fishing line also works but I had working with that shit so I choose some of the above because they twist on and twist off.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368430 - 02/20/10 01:03 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Word man, Ill let her sit over night, see how she is in the morning. I think that is the best idea now seeing that healthy growth is to just let her be. I might strengthen the nute solution back to normal tomorrow and even clean the sediment from the clay pellets out of the res.

I am also getting a stronger air pump tomorrow.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368434 - 02/20/10 01:20 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Let that plant recover before you start changing too much stuff.

Do 1 thing at a time..Take it easy the plant isn't going anywhere. You still have a few months before you can smoke it anyway.

I always ask myself...Is what I'm doing working?

If you asked yourself that then yes it is...Once it perks up then you can start trying to figure out what else could improve growth.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #368438 - 02/20/10 01:44 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Oh I know. Just saying its always good to plan. I am letting her sit. If all goes well I am going to make a 5 slot DWC tub and I might spend a good $100 on nutes.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#368442 - 02/20/10 02:30 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Ahh, I got you..Seems like you have everything in line just made a mistake not having used the setup before.

Hope to see the rest of this grow..I will follow and update mine some here as well as in my main log...But here is my seedling...

Damn pupppy knocked down the light that I had rigged up while I was working on some of the grow area and almost broke it but it held up but it burnt a couple of the lower leaves which won't be a problem in the long run anyway.

I just cut them off after I saw they werent going to live anyway and went ahead and tied it down a tad to get it ready...

Here is the newest seedling..I wish I had more pictures but I'll show you what I mean by using supports throughout my grow if you check here I just never take picture but I'm documenting this grow that I'm doing from some 100 watt hps security lights that I got for 20 dollars and some 70 watt cfls..

Thats after pup burned it =[..kind of worked out though as you see..

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck