Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix?
    #356909 - 02/02/10 05:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just bought some special soil for my upcoming growing project (seeds still in the mail) called "Seed Starting" potting mix to sprout my seeds in.

Here's the actual package of soil....

Is this a good soil for sprouting/growing seedlings? Has anyone used this soil before? Is it better than "regular" soil mix?

Feel free to share your personal experiences with this type of soil.

Thanks
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/02/10 05:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #356911 - 02/02/10 05:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No.

Anything with miracle grow is a joke.

Go get some peat pellets or rockwool cubes...Or just use some paper towels or a cup of water...

But move them in to something like a soiless mix similar to fox farms....

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: mhbound]
    #356919 - 02/02/10 06:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh.

I should also mention that I'm not going to do just the soil, I was going to blend it with vermiculite and perlite, to help with drainage and aeroation. I was thinking like a 60% "seedling" soil, 30% perlite, and 10% vermiculite.

Is it still a bad idea to use ANY mircile grow, or even any soil for MJ seeds?

I'm glad I asked Beforehand!
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #356924 - 02/02/10 06:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know what MH is talking about with fox farm soilless.  They sell straight up soil, and yes pot grows great in soil. 

The soil you bought I personally would stay away from.  MG can work, but it's really not the best.  Going with Ocean Forest from FF would the be the way to go in my opinion. 

Don't forget to start thinking about nutrient lines as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #356929 - 02/02/10 06:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't mean soiless...Fox farms are obviously soil.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#356939 - 02/02/10 07:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

OK, so you both recommend Fox Farms soil for growing over Mircale Grow, which is just OK. Noted! :smile2::thumbup: Good thing I haven't got my seeds yet!

Is Fox Farms pretty common in Department Stores? How about small plant nurseries?

If they are not, I really don't wanna order it online and have it shipped, that would be take too much time and money for me.

If Fox Farm is "rare" in stores, what are some common soil mixes that I could use as an alternative?

And when you use Fox Farm, do you mix it with other materials or do you use it 100% all soil?

Thanks for the Advice thus far
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#356940 - 02/02/10 07:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A perlite/vermiculite mix will yield fine results...Of course then you have to play motha nature and be on top of it if they show signs of nute deficiency.

But its better than burning your plants

--------------------
Suck my balls America

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #356947 - 02/02/10 07:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A nursery would probably have it in stock.  If they don't I'm sure that they would have something equivalent. 

When it comes to Ocean Forest a lot of people add perlite to the soil.  Personally I use it as is.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #356952 - 02/02/10 07:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I don't know what MH is talking about with fox farm soilless.  They sell straight up soil, and yes pot grows great in soil. 

Light warrior is their soiless line i believe.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: coda]
    #356958 - 02/02/10 07:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

BTW If you can get Fox Farm get the one that says Ocean Forest

It should be a most of the hydroponic stores or maybe Wal-Mart but is not common at home depot.....(call your local store before you go it will save you time)

--------------------
x:tongue:

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #356965 - 02/02/10 07:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yea they do carry soiless mixes but I didn't mean for him to get one...

Although I do recommend soiless for beginners. You have more control over whats going on.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #356972 - 02/02/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Their Light Warrior is a seed starter.  I'm sure it can be used as a soilless buts isn't really marketed as such.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #356987 - 02/02/10 08:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
Yea they do carry soiless mixes but I didn't mean for him to get one...

Although I do recommend soiless for beginners. You have more control over whats going on.

Uhhhh soil would be better than soil-less for a beginner man.  Soil acts as a buffer for nutrients and beneficial living organisms.  You are less likely to kill a crop with a watering/feeding mistake in soil than any other medium.  A problem can easily be corrected before it's fatal in soil where in other methods things happen much quicker.

I'm not saying a beginner shouldn't use hydro or soil-less to start, because as long as you do your research well and pay attention to and spend time with the plants, success can be achieved; but I would recommend starting with soil to get a feel for this amazing plant and learn it's growth pattern and how much you can feed them w/out overdoing it.

Anyways I'm stoned and..../rant

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Inverted]
    #356989 - 02/02/10 08:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

BTW Miracle Grow can work just fine for growing Cannabis if it's all you have, just be sure to flush the absolute piss out of it in the last 2 weeks to get the "MG" harshness out.  Also if you grow your cycle for over 3 months, the included time-release fertilizers will have broken down and the soil has become more stripped and are more likely to have a clean product come harvest time, granted you still perform an acceptable flush.

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Inverted]
    #356990 - 02/02/10 08:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yea I know...Matter fact I used the Rose for blooming I think it was but definitely don't start seeds with it.

Yea I spose yer right but I don't like soil. Or you.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#357017 - 02/02/10 09:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You bastard :grrr:

--------------------

InvisibleIcky
Male

#357048 - 02/02/10 10:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yea I spose yer right but I don't like soil. Or you.

:sip:

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Icky]
    #357049 - 02/02/10 10:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hey man, i reckon miracle grow is crap but there are some good organic propagation mixes out there but they are pretty much just a mix of coco coir peat, perlite, and potting mix

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #357132 - 02/03/10 08:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I want to chime in with a bit that seems to be left out of the MG is bad argument. The worst thing about MG is that most of their lines have one or both of time release fertilizers and moisture control pellets. between these additives it can be really difficult to know what is really going on in the dirt. you may have a spot with 15 food pellets close together and any roots that go near it presumably would get torched.

My buddy is using MG soil but we made sure to get plain jane organic with no additives. Then we mixed in some basics like perlite and some bone and blood meal for a little nutrients. This has owrked okay for him so far but when he needs soil again he is going to buy some FF OF because we have seen the results it can yield. I also see less problems from people using it or something like it which may be the soil or may be that by the time you care about the soil enough to find FF OF you have already worked out a lot of newbie problems in MG soil.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: pha3r0]
    #357180 - 02/03/10 11:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, thanks pah3r0! And thank you Inverted! You've both gave me useful info on this whole Miracle Grow debate.

I guess I'll be looking for that Fox Farm soil, and if I don't find it, I can use the most basic Miricale Grow (organic) as a cheap alternative, like Inverted describe.

On a side note, I just wanted to say something to Inverted: I'm *really* glad you took off that video you had in your signature. It was really distracting. It was so distracting, I no longer wanted to read your posts, which by the way are very thoughtful and easy to understand, because that ridiculous video of some kid busting open cartoon Donkey barrels then proceds to have banana buttsex for no apparent reason at all. I mean the banana wasn't even in the barrel to begin with. It makes no sense! So when I tried to read you well-written posts, all I saw was that damn video, just screaming at me saying: "Hey! Over here! Don't read his post, look at this video and feel awkard!". I'm very happy its gone. Now I can finally take your advice seriously!

But yeah, I really don't wanna burn my plants (except when they are done flowering): that would be a horrible. I'll be looking for that Fox Farm, or at the least, some organic MG.

>>> One of the reasons why I bought it was because it had a photo of tomatos on the package, and I read somewhere that tomatos and MJ grow in similar soils. Is that true? I know they are sometimes grown together outdoors to detract the "green harvest" heli's, but do they have similar substrate requirements?

Your Help is Honored with Great Value
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale