Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging?
    #329513 - 12/10/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

im looking to buy 2 400 watt bulbs. 1 metal halide, and 1 high pressure sodium. ive got a few different brands i have access to, but im just wondering what the difference really is between a 30 dollar bulb and a 65 dollar bulb.

also, i have my plants under a 150 watt HPS light right now, and im planning on hooking up a 400 watt MH in the next week or 2. is that going to freak the plants out at all? i know vegging plants prefer the color spectrum of the MH, but since its been under HPS for so long, is that going to stress the plants out?

should i just stick with HPS and just get 1 400 watt bulb?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Pilze]
    #329524 - 12/10/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You might have to put them in there for half cycles for 1-2 days, because the light intensity change may stress them.  I have encountered this and the result is what HawksApprentice experienced, Taco leaves!

Harden them off by introducing them slowly and you won't regret it.

Just get the standard MH bulb, its the HPS you would want to upgrade.

I found that Sylvania worked excellent for me, and try to go with the highest number of Kelvin possible, anywhere from 4500k - 6500+k but the higher is generally better as it emits more of the blue range of the spectrum.

Vegging under MH beats HPS, so you shouldn't worry about the bulb brand so much, as the Kelvin rating.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Pilze]
    #329525 - 12/10/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
should i just stick with HPS and just get 1 400 watt bulb?

I don't really know what kind of space you are dealing with so I can't make a definite decision for you.

For example, i'm working in a 2x2x3.5' space and I wouldn't buy a MH bulb/setup for my grow because by the time i'm done getting the seedlings going with CFL's (2-3 Weeks), I can flower them w/ my HPS and they will fill my box nicely. 

If you have a lot of space, and CAN veg your plants for a while (30+ days) and have the room for big plants, i'd buy a MH bulb and an HPS bulb.

You see the point i'm getting at here?

It's not really worth it to buy a MH setup/bulb unless you have a large growing space, large enough to house 3-4 foot plants, otherwise I would just stick with the 150w HPS until you get your 400w bulb, then I would throw them into flowering straight away.

Just trying to get you to undrestand this concept, did it work?

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Inverted]
    #329598 - 12/10/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i have a 3'x4.5'x7' grow tent. and i just got 2 more jack herer cuttings... i have 10 plants. 7 clones and 3 plants from seed.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #329612 - 12/10/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Stick with the HPS for now.  And start MH for the beginning of your next grow.  I prefer hortilux for my bulbs, but they're a little more spendy.  I have heard good things about Sun Master too and am using one of their bulbs as we speak.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Inverted]
    #329614 - 12/10/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
You might have to put them in there for half cycles for 1-2 days, because the light intensity change may stress them.  I have encountered this and the result is what HawksApprentice experienced, Taco leaves!

Harden them off by introducing them slowly and you won't regret it.

what if i have the plants on the ground, and the light at the top of the tent. then slowly over the days lower the light? would that be a good way to introduce the light?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #329616 - 12/10/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That would work perfectly!!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #329617 - 12/11/09 12:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Stick with the HPS for now.  And start MH for the beginning of your next grow.  I prefer hortilux for my bulbs, but they're a little more spendy.  I have heard good things about Sun Master too and am using one of their bulbs as we speak.

word. so just get this new light system setup with a good 400 watt HPS bulb, and just veg and flower under the same light?

i can do that. cheaper on me. i found a nice 400 watt HPS bulb for about 100 dollars... thats a bit more than id like to spend, but im sure its worth it in the end. i cant wait to get this light set up!!!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #329619 - 12/11/09 12:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I would stick with the same type of light.  If your already on HPS there is really no reason to put it on a MH then back on to the HPS. 

Your plants will love you for the added light!!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: preferance of MH and HPS bulb brands?? switching a plant from HPS to MH for vegging? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #329625 - 12/11/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i just took 2 more jack herer cuttings. im going to have a forest in a month :awesome:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder