Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow
    #322291 - 11/27/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi everyone,

JRC here.  I am new to the Growery.  Some of you have seen and helped me with some answers to my first posts asking about when to expect my seeds to sprout. 

I germinated my seeds a week ago.  I have now seen some nice sprouting and the beginnings of what i hope to be a successful grow.  I have taken my first pics so I decided to start my journal for growing Hash Plant seeds, and some bag seeds from some not so great bud. 

My goals:
          Are to have as many successful Hash Plants as I can get from the 5 I planted.  I also planted 6 seeds from bud that was not very good.  I am curious if grown well it will produce better quality marijuana that the bud I found the seeds in. I am not sure if that is even possible ? or if the seed is destined to be just like the bad bud.

Details: 5 Hash Plant seeds & 6 bag seeds - Organic Soil grow

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? -
  I am growing from 11 seeds.
2. How old are your plants? -
  About 1 week old (planted seeds in cups after germinating 6 days ago.)
3. How tall are your plants? 3 cups have sprout-
  The two bag seed sprouts are 2 inches tall. The one hash plant sprout in 1 inch tall.(I just put some fresh soil around the stems to give support and because they seemed to have less soil in the cups since I first planted.)
4. What size containers are they planted in? -
  Plastic 16oz & 8oz solo cups.  I didn't have enough 16oz cups for them all.
5. What is your soil mix? -
  I planted them in the cups with just the Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.  Nothing else mixed in yet.  I make my own compost so I was thinking about later on when I transplant to bigger pots doing 50/50 Fox Farm and my Compost.  I had a small organic vegetable garden in my back yard last season and the compost I think really helped keep away pests.  But I am interested to hear from the cannabis experts here if thats a good idea to use compost 50/50 with fox farm?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? -
  I have been using distilled water or rain water. I have been misting the cups and sprouts 3-4 times a day with a spray bottle.  I suspected two days ago that my non-sprouted cups soil may be over watered and needing more oxygen so I cut back on those and a forth cup has just come up yesterday.  When I look at the holes at the bottom of the cups I can see the soil at the bottom has consistently been wet.  This is also due to the fact that the water drains and stays in the tray. I'd like to hear if you all think they're getting more water than they need. 
7. What is the pH of your water? I don't have a ph tester yet.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? -
  Just using the fox farm soil nothing else so far. I have Fox Farm Big Bloom which I will use when they get a little older.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? -
  I have just been misting with the distilled water on the soil and a little on the plants.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")-
    Started with 2 CFL 100watt daylights. Just added 2 more- so 4 CFL as of today. all 100 watt daylights. 
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
    I have two hanging double fixtures for the 4 CFls.  The cups are in a starting tray with a dome covering them and the lights are hanging just 2 inches from the dome.
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? -
    I have the set up on a self in a basement which I enclosed with boards covered in aluminum foil dull side out. It is 30in. long, 15 inches wide, and 20 inches tall.
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? -
    The temp is about 83 degrees. Not sure what the humidity is.
14. What is the pH of the soil?
    Do not have a ph reader yet.
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
    no.
16. How much experience do you have growing?
    first time grower!

Questions for you friendly experts:

My sprouts have 4 leaves so far.  The first two leaves look like they're curling down and in.  The new pair of leaves that just came in look much better. For those first seed leaves is the curling/droopiness okay?/normal? is that a sign of a problem somewhere.  Too much water perhaps? 

( see pictures below )

Thank you everyone for your advice and support.  Next post will come will new developments or questions.

JRC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: JRC]
    #322299 - 11/27/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from Grow Journals.

Reason:
Better suited for this forum

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: JRC]
    #322305 - 11/27/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I am curious if grown well it will produce better quality marijuana that the bud I found the seeds in. I am not sure if that is even possible ? or if the seed is destined to be just like the bad bud.

Yes, it is possible.  It's just a crapshoot on how well it will end up for you.  Sometimes you end up with some amazing bud, sometimes it comes out so so. No harm in growing it out though, it's free so if you fuck up it's really not much of a loss.  It also may end up being a really good pheno that you keep for years and years.  Either way with proper care, the chances are good that you will end up with something much better then the bag it came from.

Quote:

The first two leaves look like they're curling down and in.  The new pair of leaves that just came in look much better. For those first seed leaves is the curling/droopiness okay?/normal?

Those are the cotelydons, aka "seed leaves".  They provide nutrition in the first few weeks of plant growth and most eventually yellow and die off.  Their growth looks normal to me so you really don't have much to worry about in that area :smile:

Quote:

Too much water perhaps?

Exactly how much and how frequently have you been watering them?  Is their drainage at the bottom of your solo cups?  They don't look over watered, but you should take proper care to prevent it by spacing out your waterings.  Some people push their finger an inch into the surface of the soil, if it's dry water, if not leave it.  Others do the dry lift test.  That's where you lift your container when it has no water, water the container, then lift it again to feel the weight difference.  Then you check your plants every day or so by lifting them.  If they feel near to the dry weight, you should water, if they feel closer to the wet weight, leave 'em be.

Either way with sprouts that young you probably shouldn't be watering more then once every 3-4 days.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: coda]
    #322307 - 11/27/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you for taking a look at my plants.  Should I make my next journal update here or in grow journals? Sorry for the mistake.

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#322311 - 11/27/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I have been watering with a spray bottle. I've basically been spraying them 3 times a day and I would give each cup about 3 sprays with the bottle.  So considering what you said I think I should definitely cut back.  There are 4 holes in the bottom of each cup, so eventually the water drains and there is always a little bit of water in the tray, so the cups continue to soak the water thats drained .  When I look at the bottoms of the cups the soil always seems wet.  So I'll take your advice and cut back.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #322475 - 11/27/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It is time to cut back the humidity and watering now.  Other than that, you are off to a good start.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: Azyle00]
    #322902 - 11/29/09 08:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Any comments on why this plant looks so depressed?  I learned two days ago that I was over watering so I cut back.  Two seedlings are looking better since then but this one looks like this : see below

Maybe its still recovering from over water?  I have not started to add the fox farm big bloom I have because its only been 1 week.

thanks

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #322939 - 11/29/09 10:56 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I have been watering with a spray bottle. I've basically been spraying them 3 times a day and I would give each cup about 3 sprays with the bottle.

Wait, you're just misting your sprouts?  They need more water then a few squirts from a spray bottle.  Judging from those recent pics I'd say this is a case of under watering more then over.

--------------------

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: coda]
    #322952 - 11/29/09 12:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I also discovered that my humidity was at around 30%rh.  So I'm trying to get it above 60% (if thats correct.) I've watered them, gave them a misting and put the dome on them, and it seems to be rising.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#322977 - 11/29/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Fully water them now based on that soil in the pics if you have not.  Mist them to increase humidity will help.  Don't go overboard.

The plant looks fine to me overall, I think it will develop ok.  I have seen my plants bounce around from droopy to fanning as they grow the first few nodes.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grower - Hash Plant seeds & bag seeds- Organic Soil Grow (moved) [Re: Azyle00]
    #322991 - 11/29/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

any recommendations on when to begin using the Fox farm big bloom? the bottle says with in 2 weeks.  this is the day one of week two. I was going to wait till near the end of this week. (friday perhaps)

The bottle says use 1 teaspoon: 1 gallon water.  I was planning on cutting that in half just to be safe.  good idea?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #323476 - 11/30/09 06:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

way too tiny for nutes.  I'd wait until you see the first set of five bladed leaves first (even then you may be better off waiting a bit longer).

--------------------

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#324148 - 11/30/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I wait for 4th node usually and even then, start with 1/4 dosage.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#325927 - 12/03/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hello everyone

heres an update on my plants.  They seem to be doing well.  I just set them up in a nicer growing space. Its a tall shelf enclosed in mylar with a low fan inside blowing on them.  There are 6 CFLs hanging over them just 3-4inches away. 

They have some really tiny green spots and one has some lighter green on some leaf edges.  I just wanted to give you all a look and see if you have any thoughts.  Maybe its nothing..

The temp has been pretty stable above 75.  I've been putting a lot of effort in keeping the humidity as high as possible.  I've been able to keep it above 40, and as high as 55.  I'd like to get it over 60 and more consistent.  I've left a cup of water, some wet paper towels in the space, I've been misting.  Any ideas?

I haven't seen as signs of pests. I was watering with distilled triple osmosis water, I just switched over to rain water though this week.
  I will post with my ph levels of the water and soil asap. 

here are the pics:

new set up fan, mylar, 6 cfls:

bag seed. leaf edges seem slightly lighter in color. maybe its nothing?:

Group shot everyone smile:

3 tiny light green spots on left leaf? :

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

first time organic grow 2 hash plant 3 bag seed photo update [Re: JRC]
    #326688 - 12/04/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm posting some better quality pictures to get some opinions of some light green coloration on some leafs. Very tiny things, but I'll let you judge.  Over all they seem to be healthy and growing.  Ph of collected rain water was around 7.0-7.1.  soil ph is 6.7.  One problem is that one cup has sprouted maybe about a week ago, after the others but has appeared to be stunted at sprout phase. See the pictures below.  There is some weird coloration on the edges of it too.  Any way to save this plant?  Its one of my hash plants!  Also notice some tiny spots on the other plants.  Thank you for any opinions. And if any one has techniques for raising humidity?

stunted sprout :

detail:

light green spots:

another cup:

some light green on leaf edge here:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies