Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Dead sprouts?
    #316354 - 11/16/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Soil Growers:

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

Seed

2. How old are your plants?

Started germination 1 week ago

3. How tall are your plants?

1/2 inch

4. What size containers are they planted in?

4 gallon nursery pots

5. What is your soil mix?

5qt peat moss, 4qt vermiculite and 4 qt perlite. It's a soilless mix.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?

Have water 3 times now. 1 gallon the first time, 1/2 a gallon the second time and 1/2 gallon the third time.

7. What is the pH of your water?

5.75 according to my pH strips. Not sure I believe that though.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?

Fox farm grow big. 6-4-4.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

No.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")

42 Watt CFL per plant.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?

6-8 inches maybe.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?

Probably 3 x 3 x 5

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

Room temperature. Not sure on humidity.

14. What is the pH of the soil?

It was down around 5.75, once again according to my pH strips. I've adjusted it up a little bit with baking soda but it's probably still a little low.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

No.

16. How much experience do you have growing?

First grow.

Details:
I started germination last sunday by placing 2 seeds in a bowl of water. Strain is feminized Kaya gold from Nirvana. One started to crack on monday afternoon. The other seed was probably about 12 hours behind the other. I planted then into the soilless medium on tuesday afternoon. The one in the picture has looked like that since about Thursday or Friday and the other seed has a root coming out of it but hasn't quite sprouted yet. Are they dead? I at least figured the pictured one would have grown some since Thursday or Friday. Do they need to be fed since it's a soilless medium. Tonight I fed them about a cup or 2 of 1/8 normal strength grow big in case that was the problem, but not enough to do any real damage in case it wasn't. Thanks for any help.

Edited by vipergts2207 (11/16/09 12:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: vipergts2207]
    #316372 - 11/16/09 03:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am a complete noob.
/disclaimer

I don't believe you should be giving them ANY ferts though... especially not until they're a couple weeks old...

Other than that, sometimes they just don't make it, or there could be other problems.

Your lights could be closer too.

It also seems like you're probably watering too much... Your pots are huge and they probably wouldn't need water for over a week in them, besides the possibility of the roots not being able to dry up at all in this situation...

Again, my plants are like 2 weeks old first time and they're not doing that great, so I'm no old hand or anything... This is just stuff I've read and I may be wrong about any of them...

Good luck bud

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: DudeTron]
    #316392 - 11/16/09 04:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So DT is actually pretty spot on here.

Your pot is WAAYY too big for you to be able to adequately control the water levels; you should start in rapid rooters, or in beer cups or the like.  On top of that, you're drowning them by watering too much.
Finally, NO NUTES until at least the second set of true leaves come in.

I'm thinking you have dead seedlings.

Do some research here at the growery...browse threads, and look through the grower's resources in the dropdown menus at the top of the page and your second attempt will be more successful.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #316433 - 11/16/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, research a little, and then start over with caution.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #316445 - 11/16/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Being that 2/3 of the mix is verm and peat moss it's gonna hold a ton of water in it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Magash]
    #317472 - 11/17/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys. I've germinated 2 new seeds and planted them in styrofoam cups with holes instead of the 4 gallon pots. If these 2 die I'm thinking it's a bad seed batch. I soaked them in a bowl of water again for germination and very carefully planted them in the cups about 1/4" under the top of the soil. Hopefully I'll see a sprout pop out in a few days. The reason the lights are at 6-8" is because the chain the lights are hanging from are as low as they'll go. Although they are a little closer now because I put the cups on top of the soil in the nursery pots until they're ready to be transplanted into them.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #317477 - 11/17/09 05:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

chain is extremely cheap, for those lights you could probably find it at around 20 cents a foot at home depot or the like.  Just find where they hide the chain and get someone to cut some for you. 

Those lights need to be almost touching the tops of your plants, so the couple dollars you invest now will help you out in the end.  It's up to you but IMO, if left under those lights, the plants are going to stretch like hell.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: coda]
    #317483 - 11/17/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah get those lights closer or the sprouts will start to stretch stretch.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #317606 - 11/17/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well I took your guys advice and moved them closer to the lights. Rather than going out and buying chain and since the lights will only be raised from this point, I stacked the cups on top of another cup. They're now about an inch from the lights.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #317741 - 11/18/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Now they are the perfect distance...IE, as close as possible without touching.

Do not feed until week 3.  Do not water them again until the container is DRY.  I would think once a week is maximum for watering for the first 4 weeks based on containers and mix you use (similar to my own).  I never give a 3 gallon container more than 1/2 litre at a time.

Over feeding, over watering and under lighting are the three biggest mistakes new growers make and struggle with.

Good luck with your grow, hope they pull out of their tail spin.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Azyle00]
    #320330 - 11/22/09 10:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well I can't say I recommend Nirvana's Kaya Gold seeds from seedboutique. Of my 2 new seeds, one turned out like the two old ones (seed grew out of the soil and then stopped) and one is actually doing well. It's got its first set of true leaves. Now my question is when should I transplant from the stryofoam cups into the buckets?

Edited by vipergts2207 (11/22/09 11:09 PM)

OfflineSlave of Cthulhu
Marijuana Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
    #320340 - 11/22/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Your name comes from the hentai Viper GTS. Haha. You :whacker: a lot huh? Hahaha...

--------------------

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Slave of Cthulhu]
    #320393 - 11/23/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Actually it comes from the car made by Dodge. I had no idea there was hentai named after it. However, the fact that you did makes me think you're the one who :whacker: a lot.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #320397 - 11/23/09 09:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You will not need to transplant for a while, certainly two to three nodes from now, I would do it.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

Re: Dead sprouts? [Re: Azyle00]
    #324767 - 12/01/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an update on the second round of seeds. I just transplanted the one in the following pictures into the 4 gallon pot today. It's working on it's fourth set of true leaves. I fed it 1/8th strength nutes on Sunday and just plain water today after I transplanted. The other plant which isn't pictured has it's first set of true leaves, but they're kind of curled.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #325362 - 12/02/09 04:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

why do people insist on feeding sprouts that small?  This only leads to problems.  Plants that tiny have their own supplied nutrients through the cotelydons, they don't need any food until at least the first set of 5 bladed leaves.  Even then a healthy soil should give them more then enough food.  Hell, my mothers that I'm keeping right now have been fed a total of 4 times.

--------------------

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

#325440 - 12/02/09 06:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I was told to feed them in week 3. If I remember correctly, this would be the third week. And at 1/8th strength, it's not exactly potent stuff. Also, there's the fact that I planted in a soilless mix whereas some people plant into ocean forest or something similar with nutes already in it. How is putting adding a small amount of nutes into a soilless mix any different? It seems pretty happy too because I think I spotted it's tiny 5th set of leaves this evening.

Edited by vipergts2207 (12/02/09 06:16 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #325469 - 12/02/09 06:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LOL, oh shit!  Man, now I feel dumb.  Yah, if you're in a soiless mixture you'll be feeding them a bit early then those grown in soil.  Sorry about that, guess I'll have to read more carefully heh.

Are the leaves yellowing?  It's hard to tell in pictures sometimes, the lighting in the photo can cause the plant to look different colors then it does in real life.

--------------------

Offlinevipergts2207
RooR
 User Gallery

#325728 - 12/02/09 09:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Lol no worries. Hell, I just appreciate the replies. As for yellowing, it looks like a light green color. It looks fairly similar to the pictures, at least on my computer screen.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom