Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

Gas meter in grow room.
    #310998 - 11/06/09 10:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So I moved into my apartment on Oct 1st, and was eagerly awaiting my first grow ever.

However the gas meter is located in the closet I was planning on using. This seems like it is gonna totally fuck up my plans.

How often does the gas man read the gas meter? Aren't these things usually located outside? How much notice do you think I would get that the gas man is coming to check the meter in my closet?

I mean the landlord cant just let him in to read the meter without me. I would have to be there and know about it.

Any thoughts would help. It looks like if I can't use the closet I'll have to do a super stealth grow cabinet. Considering the cost of the lights, fans, and carbon filters at the local grow shop I dunno if the yield would be worth my while.

Thanks guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: AshtrayDinner]
    #310999 - 11/06/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

meter in your closet? thats odd..... i wouldnt risk it just because of maybe surprise checkups or something like that..... if you still want to grow do a stealth cabinet, you might be able to find some nice designs here.....look through the "grow room design" forum and "grow journals"

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #311010 - 11/06/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's really too bad. The closet is totally bitching. It has an electrical outlet inside, and a vent pumping fresh air right into it.

A 400W hps, and a carbon filter with a fan is gonna run me $600+ at the local grow shop.

How big a cabinet do you need to run a 250W, and is the yield gonna be worth my while assuming my costs including the cabinet are gonna be running me like $700-$1000?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #311015 - 11/06/09 10:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to The Growery first off!

And just some FYI, If your here in the states then legally the land lord would be required to give at least 12-24 hr written notice to enter the place. Once given written notice you are legally obligated to make arrangements to be there or to allow him in. Being the owner or property manager, he can come in with or with out your presence.

Now, i have never heard of a gas meter inside a house! Hell i am not even sure that is legal. Not only that, but it needs to be accessible to the gas company. I would consider a different place if i were you. Or at least find out wtf is going on with the meter situation! Growing sounds definitely out of the question tho!

Edit: In most states this applies! Not all

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #311022 - 11/06/09 11:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

dude, landlords do whatever the fuck they want in my state.

OfflineTomCollins

#311024 - 11/06/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A gas meter in your closet? That sounds pretty dangerous. I've never seen that in my whole life.

Here something for you to think about: I don't have a carbon filter yet. Hell I don't really have air going in or out of the closet via a vent system, I just keep the door cracked a little. I have an air circulator that I built using a fan I found at a trash heap, and a cheap oscillating fan. I mean, until you begin flowering (and you can keep your plants in veg indefinitely) smell is not an issue. Just go ahead and get your grow started (if your sure your landlord isn't going to be coming in and inspecting your property a lot.)

Also if just a fan, filter and light is going to run you 600+ USD, sorry that sounds like a fucking rip off - I can't believe thats what things cost in America. I bought my 400w HPS for like 69 euro. That's 90 something bucks. I think maybe the best way to go about the HPS would be to order a cheap one - one that's unwired (thats why mine was so cheap.) How can it cost you up to 1000 USD to grow pot in your cabinet? I grow pot in my cabinet and hydroponically and it didn't cost me anywhere near 1000USD.

Post some pictures of the cabinet you were thinking of using.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/06/09 11:11 AM)

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: TomCollins]
    #311027 - 11/06/09 11:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you would be surprised how overly priced stuff is in the U.S. (not just refering to grow equipment)

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #311029 - 11/06/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
you would be surprised how overly priced stuff is in the U.S. (not just refering to grow equipment)

Wow dude, all my friends always told me how cheap as fuck things were in the states.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: usg543]
    #311034 - 11/06/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

usg543 said:
dude, landlords do whatever the fuck they want in my state.

Land lords can NOT just do what they want, specially when it comes to entering the dwelling!

They may want you to think that, but as a renter you have specific rights. Look up rental laws for your state.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#311036 - 11/06/09 11:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

exactly for your state. you said it was for the whole US. in my state they can make the contracts where they have a little clause in it that says they can enter at any time for any reason. i looked up the laws already, because at my last residence i got tired of people just walking in.

luckily my new place is one of those big complexs and they never bother us. can't wait to get a house though...

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: usg543]
    #311040 - 11/06/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Damn, I do remember hearing certain states were still having rental issues, but thought by now they  should have cleared that up. That's crap though, that a land lord can enter without notice. I would not rent or sign a contract with that clause in it! I am anal about having my privacy!

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #311045 - 11/06/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I would not rent or sign a contract with that clause in it!

Yeah, seriously, that wouldnt settle with me too well.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

#311059 - 11/06/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm based out of Canada not the states.

The gas man has been coming by for the past two weeks. There is a standpipe in the closet where the meter is, that he said had to be removed. He came by the other day and said they couldn't remove the standpipe because there was too much stuff in the way. He definitely confirmed that my landlord had illegally dry walled over, and built a closet around, the gas pipes, and meters. He says they will probably try and remove the pipe from the outside of the house, how they are gonna manage that I have no idea. Looks like the closet is a no go.

As for the cost of materials, in Canada everything costs more than in the states. Especially hard to find things like grow lights and carbon filters. I'd rather not buy these items in the mail, because it leaves a paper trail a mile long for my grow materials.

If I were to set up a cabinet I would definitely need a smaller light. The 250W hps at the local shop is $230 with tax. The carbon filter with the fan is $300, although I can't remember if that was with tax in or out.
Either way I'm looking at almost $600 for the basic pieces of the garden. I really don't know how much more I would need to spend on soil, nutrients, etc.

Think It's worth it?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #311063 - 11/06/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Paper trail, smapper trail!

Only way u gonna do that is to use a credit card. Use cash. Only paper trail u leave is from your wallet to their register! And being in Canada i would think things like that would be fairly easy to come by. Being worth it? depends on how you set this all up and what u can produce from it. $600 for years of free herb would be worth it imo.

Worth it as far as getting in trouble by getting caught by a landlord or gas guy and spending a few years in prison? Well i don't think so!

--------------------

OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

#311071 - 11/06/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not too worried about anyone catching me if I don't use the closet. It's a shame the gas meter is in there, but it is clearly a security issue.

How big a cabinet do you think I would need to run an hps light? When I asked the guy at the grow store he said the 250W ballast and the 400W ballast are the same size. So is it worth paying an extra $80 for a 400W, or is this going to make a tiny cabinet far too hot?

My landlord is very hands off, once I get a couple things around here fixed I don't see him coming in until I end my tenancy next summer.

OfflineTomCollins

#311076 - 11/06/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Like Spacey said. If you COD your orders, there is nothing to follow. If your thaat paranoid, get a mailbox at your local mail distribution center. Also, I think if a police man where to find out you ordered a 400w horticultural light he would probably yawn and giggle a little bit. It's not like you could supply anyone but yourself really and maybe a few friends. In addition to that, I doubt that if and when a mail man discovers he's delivering a horticultural light he's going to inform the authorities. I just don't see the average joe responding  "weed grower" when they hear the words "horticultural light." Last but not least, I'm pretty sure it's really illegal for companies to give out their customer information, unless the police have some hard core warrant and if they want to fuck you that hard, I'm sure they would check your house first. :-P

In other words, I would seriously consider the online option.

In regards to getting a 400watter over a 250, it all depends on how many plants you want to grow?

Post some picture of your cabinet, or at very least some measurements.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/06/09 12:17 PM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #311171 - 11/06/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Being a fellow Canadian, allow me clear some things up for you.

First, landlords must give notice 24 hours before entering a rented residence no matter what you have signed.  Just because you sign something that says that you are waiving a law or agreeing to not follow a law, does not mean you have done that.  You cannot change laws by signing papers that say you are no longer regarding it.  They make you sign these guideline contracts because it will hopefully fool you into behaving and doing what they want.  My parents have been landlords of property for about 30 years.  They and I halping them have dealt with so much bullshit, you would be amazed.  One lady had 87 cats in a 1 bedroom dwelling.  I shit you not, EIGHTY SEVEN.  We could not evict her or make her move.  Despite it being a health violation etc.  We could not her stop or leave.  Even called the cops, humane society etc.  We have ultra strict laws in Canada related to these things.  Most of the power here is on the tenant's side.  Such as, you cannot be evicted during winter.  I suggest you review the landlord/tenant act.  Also, once you move in, any and all safety or code violations have to be fixed within a given time frame of you informing them about it.  So yes, the gas company and the landlord need to remedy the gas fixture in your closet.  What did he do, renovate the basement and make the closet where the gas meter is?

Secondly, I am not sure where in Canada you are, but in Toronto, yes the grow stuff is expensive from the grow shops.  They all have gotten together and price fixed it, which is bad really, in fact, in GTA, they all use the same catologue even they they are all independent for the most part.  Only buy what you need from them and can get nowhere else.  There are some things that you simply can't get elsewhere.  Also, they sell decent mediums and tend to be quite knowledgable about growing African Violet like plants (weed).

Our privacy laws protect us heavily VS buying things etc.  No the police are not looking at you and your CC bill unless you are some high profile pot vendor with pounds and pounds moving and they are already on to you.  If you are just a joe blow citizen, you are being overly paranoid.  Growing and smoking pot in Canada for personal use is pratically legal these days, they simply do not care about small time growers.  Start selling and trafficking loads of the stuff and then they will certainly care.  A cop friend of mine in Toronto told me that "What you do in the privacy of your own home, by yourself, is your business.  Shove it in our face or take that "secret" to the next level, interacting with the *public* or the *public space*, then it becomes our business."

I buy everything at Home Depot and then I bought my light, cool tube, inline fans and black/white from the grow shops.  I have spent $1000 total on my setup.  And I expect to spend $500 per year with growing costs (Hydroelectric bill, soil, Nutes, Anti-Pest, various supplies, maintenance).  Weed costs $200+ an ounce in GTA.  I smoke an ounce a month.  My setup will grow far more than 8 ounces per year.  Which is my break even point on my initial and first year costs.  Then add that I do NOT spend $2400 on weed in that year.

I have done the planning and math enough to know that unless you have a "special connection" IE, cheap as hell, for any Canadian who smokes pot, growing it yourself is going to be cheaper, if you succeed at growing decent pot properly.  Not everyone has the ideal setup to do it right.  I feel for those of you doing it super stealth as renters etc.  However, if you are going to do it, then do it balls out and full blown.  Buy the equipment.  Be safe.  Do it right.  Grow serious weed.  For me, I feel every dollar wisely spent = $5+ in return, likely even more.

Also in Canada, indoor gardening is exetremely popular.  I work in that industry and you would be amazed at how many normal people growing normal things in their house exist now.  I also grow Everbearing Strawberries, Tibetan Poppys, Coleas Strains, Edamame and Roses. Everything I bought for my grow room could have been for these legal plants.  Ever seen a home greenhouse with African Violets or Orchids etc?  Going to look quite similar to a small grow room as far as the equipment used.

You can order your stuff online, have it shipped to your residence, use a CC and nothing will happen.  This is not how you get caught in Canada.  They are not allowed to look for that.  Sell it or smoke it outside or grow it where they see it...then you are in trouble. 

As the cop told me: Tell no one.  Sell nothing.  Keep it inside.  You will 99.9% never have a problem in *Ontario Canada*.

Oh and yes, 400 watt for an extra $80 is going to easily make up for the cost.  It will make up for it on the first crop.

Again, for my non-Canadian friends reading this...this advice pertains to Canada only.  We wanted to legalize it, but President Bush leaned on us a little heavy, so another ten year delay.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: Azyle00]
    #311189 - 11/06/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tell no one.  Sell nothing.  Keep it inside.  You will 99.9% never have a problem

That sentence pretty much applies anywhere! Loose lips, sink ships! Dealing draws attention! and in the privacy of your own home you should be safe!

And thanks for clearing that up for all of us! I figured their had to be some canadian guidelines regarding rental units.

--------------------

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #311602 - 11/06/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Paper trail, smapper trail!

Only way u gonna do that is to use a credit card. Use cash. Only paper trail u leave is from your wallet to their register!

I think you and spency should research Operation Green Merchant. Taken from that link "The DEA subpoenaed United Parcel Service (UPS) delivery records associated with hydroponics stores, getting information on tens of thousands of people suspected of procuring hydro equipment for marijuana growing." It didn't matter how you paid, but where and to whom the equipment was sent.

Despite living 3 hours from the nearest hydro store I regard ordering hydro equipment/nutes as too big a security risk.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gas meter in grow room. [Re: Ojom]
    #311617 - 11/07/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Made it about 9 years ago, They are easy to make just a matter of doing it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order