Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Loc: over thur
First time growing.... Done. (Cured bud pics update: 1/27/09) * 1
    #309688 - 11/04/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Disclaimer: I'm new to this and learning, so please excuse my noobness.

I have a small plant that I've had growing for roughly 2 or 3 months. The first month or month and a half the plant had shitty lighting so it didn't grow much. It's now under a 150w equivalent spiral CFL bulb with a dome reflector. Not optimal, but it's working for now.

I'm growing the plant bonsai style due to lack of space and nosy neighbors. Since I put the plant under the CFL bulb it has grown a lot. About a week or two ago it started preflowering (it's a female).

Thing is, I don't want to flower it yet, I'd like to veg it for a bit longer. Is there any way that I can get the plant to go back to veg stage or will that just make it become a hermaphrodite? Not sure on the real strain so I couldn't tell you if it's an autoflowering strain or not. The seed came from a bag of "OG Kush" but I am calling bullshit on that one.

Edited by lasereyes (01/27/10 10:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: lasereyes]
    #309701 - 11/04/09 10:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Leave that light running 24/7. It shouldn't start flowering if you do that. You can leave a plant in veg for a really long time.

If it's an auto-flowering strain... I think you are :cuteshit: out of luck.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: TomCollins]
    #309706 - 11/04/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thing is I really can't leave the light running 24/7 because the damn light keeps me up. Perhaps I can find some way to move it into the closet. I just worry about the heat being too much in there because there is a steam pipe in the closet.

Hmmm...  :strokebeard:

Is there any way I could tell if it is an autoflowering strain? If it goes into flower mode then I harvest without killing the plant, is it gonna keep on flowering? How does that work?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #309724 - 11/04/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If it's an autoflowering plant I'd say just finish it out and be happy.

But if it isn't then as long as the plant gets 18 hrs of light it won't flower, and will continue to veg without problems.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineAKSE

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: Stoneth]
    #309813 - 11/04/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's highly doubtful that you have an autoflowering strain.  If the lights keep you up, you can sacrifice some growth and put them on 18/6 and they will stay in vegative state.  Why not leave them on 24/0 and light-proof your area?  Just because your plant is showing sex doesn't mean it has started to flower.  Plants will show sex when mature, however they will not start flowering until a light cycle of atleast 12/12 has been induced.

OfflineDankHeadz
Stranger

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: AKSE]
    #309894 - 11/04/09 06:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sealing the light off will help you sleep longer at night and halp focus more light on ya young lady. Def worth the effort!! Also buy Mylar.

--------------------
!HydroFoDough!

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: DankHeadz]
    #309940 - 11/04/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Meh. Skip the Mylar and get some black/white poly.
mylar is a bitch to work with.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: 81renaissance]
    #309974 - 11/04/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Black/White and Tuck Tape are my gods.  Mylar and Duct Tape are last decades false gods! :smile:

Are you growing for weed or growing for fun?  If you are growing for weed, research and invest a little into your project...it will pay off tenfold.  If growing for fun...bonsai...then get a bonsai or Coleas or everbearing strawberries, much easier, safer and legal.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: Azyle00]
    #313778 - 11/10/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I decided to just flower the damn thing. I have noticed recently that the plant is really starting to stretch between nodes now that it has gotten so big. Would training the branches to grow closer together (so they're all within the dome reflector) help this?

Yeah, I know I'm half-assing this, but it's all I can do for right now aside from just turning the thing into cannabutter.

Offlinedrumma
Stranger

#313796 - 11/10/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

stretching will usually happen if you have poor lighting  or if the light is too far away. it is also normal for the plant to stretch once you flip to 12/12 to start flowering.

in my experience the stretching lasts about 3-4 weeks after triggering then the last 4+ weeks( depending on strain) your buds will start to put on weight.  it's not uncommon for the plant to double in heght during this time.

training is usually only helpful during veg to help keep all the branches at the same height so you can keep the light as close to the entire plant as possible without burning the main cola.

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: drumma]
    #320829 - 11/24/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I recently moved the plant to an area where it has more room to grow. It's under a lamp that has 5 telescoping arms with lights at the ends. I have it under the following CFL equivalents: 200w, 150w, and 3x 60w. The buds are growing much more dense, the plant looks a LOT healthier and the crazy stretching stopped :smile:

Unfortunately I have horrible planning... I'm only going to be able to allow the plant to flower for 7 weeks total because I have to leave town for a decent amount of time, plus I'm going to be having a government building inspection.

How badly will only 7 weeks of flowering effect the harvest? What is average flowering/budding time?

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

#321533 - 11/25/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Flowering is going well

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #321547 - 11/25/09 02:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

How badly will only 7 weeks of flowering effect the harvest? What is average flowering/budding time?

That's a hard one to answer because it depends on what you're growing.  If you're growing a straight indica anywhere from 50-70 days, sativa 84-100 days, hybrids can fall anywhere between that depending on which side is more dominant. 

So if you're growing something that's mostly indica you may be able to pull it off without it affecting you too badly (if at all).  If it's more of a sativa you'd most likely be harvesting a few weeks too early.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: coda]
    #321568 - 11/25/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The fan leaves on this plant are pretty narrow, so I'm guessing this is a sativa dominant plant. Balls =\

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #321571 - 11/25/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Don't give up hope my man, grow it out!  Even if it ends up not as good this time, you'll be a lot better off next time when you're stable.  Plus, at the end, it's still something you can smoke.  Always better to have something then nothing :wink:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: coda]
    #321752 - 11/26/09 12:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not giving up hope, I'm going to grow it out until the day before I have to leave for a few weeks. My place tends to be low humidity(40%-20%) because of the heat system, so the buds will probably dry out within a day of hanging them up to dry. I'll cure what I have in jars for a few weeks and see how it works out.

I'm going to root a cutting of the same plant before I leave for the extended period of time, and put it back on 24/7 light schedule so it goes back into veging and have a friend water it for me while I'm away. I'll try flowering again once the plant looks nice and robust. I'm going to have to bonsai it again because I don't have much room, but I know how to trim/train it so I get a lot of bud sites (just not too familiar with nutes and flowering schedule, but I will read up). Should be fun, I look forward to it.

I actually have another seed that a friend gave me (rare in my area, most bags don't have seeds) so I may try that one too. Growing herb is kind of an addictive hobby for me... I always want to "out do" my past grow. I'm a huge fan of gardening so I take growing herb as the ultimate challenge because I want to produce the most I can within my abilities. I can't do a HPS lighting at my place, but I will CFL the hell out of it. I might be getting a new HO T5 fixture for the sake of growing pepper plants soon, I'm sure herb would enjoy that lighting too :smile:

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

#323681 - 11/30/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I just got back into town last night after being gone for 5 days. I was worried that the plant would be dried up when I got back because the place it's being grown tends to be pretty dry. Upon checking on it, it was wilting pretty badly so I gave it about 600ml of water (8 inch pot) and it fluffed right back up.

I noticed that there didn't seem to be hardly any new growth during the 5 days that I was gone and this is after moving it to a lot more light. I was doing some reading and I think I may have a problem with nutrient lockout. I may have gotten a little over zealous with the fertilizing the past few weeks. Here's why I think I'm having some nutrient issues:

• The stems of all of the newer large fan leaves have gone purple
• Buds are especially small, not very compact
• After that 5 days of being gone, roughly 15-20% of the hairs have turned orange... Prior to going out of town it was only 1-2%
• Last week a lot of the smaller leaves at the bottom of the plant went yellow and died. I assumed it was just because they were old and not getting enough light, but now I wonder.

During my reading I also realized that you should flush the plant every once in a while.... I've never flushed it. In fact, for the past week and a half or so I've only been doing bottom watering- regardless of just pure water or fertilizing.

You guys think it's about time for a flush?

Edit: if you want some pics let me know and I'll get to work on that.

Edited by lasereyes (11/30/09 03:47 PM)

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

#324263 - 11/30/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Just bumping teh post for the night time crowd. If the more experienced growers think it needs a flush I will do so ASAP (tonight).

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #324267 - 11/30/09 10:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The stems turning purple could be a sign of phosphorus deficiency.

Flushing is never a bad idea, doesn't really sound absolutely necessary from what your describing.  Pics are always good, give em up!

Your fluffy buds could be due to not getting enough light.  What kind of lights are they under??  Still CFL's??

I'm sure they're a bit shocked at this point, I would expect them to take a couple of days to bounce back and start growing vigorously.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinelasereyes
lol wut

Re: First time growing, question about vegging and preflowering [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #324272 - 11/30/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, unfortunately they are still under CFLs. I can't really do HPS now due to the amount of room available and nosy neighbors. I think I'll try the flush, switch to a fert that is higher in P and K. From what I've read and the ferts I've been using it seems like P and K deficiencies are happening. I think I got a little crazy with the ferts for a while thinking the plant would need more ferts for flowering. That was before reading up. Is there a "pot for dummies" guide out there somewhere? I've looked through the articles on the main growery site and haven't had much luck. Perhaps my search abilities just suck. If that's the case, point me in the right direction por favor.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck