Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Recent Cannabis related news...
    #304737 - 10/27/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A thread to discuss Recent news related to the cannabis plant.

Edited by Dr. Siekadellyk (10/27/09 10:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #304740 - 10/27/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

California lawmakers to debate full marijuana legalization tomorrow

California state lawmakers are scheduled to hear testimony tomorrow in support of taxing and regulating the commercial production and distribution of marijuana for adults age 21 and older.

Members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety have called for the hearing, entitled “Examining the Fiscal and Legal Implication of the Legalization and Regulation of Marijuana.” The hearing will be chaired by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), sponsor of Assembly Bill 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act. It will take place at 10am in room 126 of the State Capitol.

A press conference will take place prior to the hearing at 9 am in Capitol Room 317.

California NORML Coordinator Dale Gieringer is scheduled to testify before the Committee at noon. [Editor's note: Read Dale's written testimony here.] NORML has also submitted prepared testimony to the Committee, which is available online here.

Several representatives from law enforcement, including the California Police Chiefs Association and the Office of the Attorney General’s Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, are scheduled to testify in opposition to the bill.

“The criminal prohibition of marijuana provides law enforcement and state regulators with no legitimate market controls,” states NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano in prepared testimony.  “This absence of state and local government controls jeopardizes rather than promotes public safety. I urge this Committee to move forward with the enactment of sensible regulations for legalizing marijuana.”

Tomorrow’s hearing marks one of the first times since 1913 that the California legislature has debated ending criminal prohibition.

If you live in California you can contact your member of the Assembly in advance of tomorrow’s historic hearing here.

Source: NORML

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #304785 - 10/27/09 04:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

Loc: new york state Flag
    #304818 - 10/27/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Quote:

California lawmakers to debate full marijuana legalization tomorrow

California state lawmakers are scheduled to hear testimony tomorrow in support of taxing and regulating the commercial production and distribution of marijuana for adults age 21 and older.

Members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety have called for the hearing, entitled ?Examining the Fiscal and Legal Implication of the Legalization and Regulation of Marijuana.? The hearing will be chaired by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), sponsor of Assembly Bill 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act. It will take place at 10am in room 126 of the State Capitol.

A press conference will take place prior to the hearing at 9 am in Capitol Room 317.

California NORML Coordinator Dale Gieringer is scheduled to testify before the Committee at noon. [Editor's note: Read Dale's written testimony here.] NORML has also submitted prepared testimony to the Committee, which is available online here.

Several representatives from law enforcement, including the California Police Chiefs Association and the Office of the Attorney General?s Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, are scheduled to testify in opposition to the bill.

?The criminal prohibition of marijuana provides law enforcement and state regulators with no legitimate market controls,? states NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano in prepared testimony.  ?This absence of state and local government controls jeopardizes rather than promotes public safety. I urge this Committee to move forward with the enactment of sensible regulations for legalizing marijuana.?

Tomorrow?s hearing marks one of the first times since 1913 that the California legislature has debated ending criminal prohibition.

If you live in California you can contact your member of the Assembly in advance of tomorrow?s historic hearing here.

Source: NORML

that sounds great

--------------------
I live with thirteen dead cats ,
a purple dog that wears spats,
they all live out in the hall,
and i cant stand it anymore

anything i say on this website is 100 % false

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: ttotheh]
    #304825 - 10/27/09 06:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yeah im excited, im seeing more and more lately about slowly getting closer to legalization......:bigjoint:

hopefully eventually because its really getting rediculous now.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineCannaboid
Gang Green Gang
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #304828 - 10/27/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I have a good feeling its getting close, maybe not this time, but close.

And, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but why make this thread if we already got something like this? www.growery.org than the news thing right there. :shrug:

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Cannaboid]
    #304841 - 10/27/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

because this thread is to discuss the latest interesting news about cannabis like in my above post....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Cannaboid]
    #304843 - 10/27/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I like it.  that forum is dead!  and dr. has zero points (for infractions)!  :lol:

edit:
i would also advocate we use the term Cannabis and not marijuana.  but you knew i'd mention that. 

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #304909 - 10/27/09 08:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

wrong thread i believe Brow

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #304911 - 10/27/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I also prefer the term cannabis rather than marijuana.....marijuana has a bad rep.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #304934 - 10/27/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
I also prefer the term cannabis rather than marijuana.....marijuana has a bad rep.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

Loc: traveling
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Inverted]
    #305020 - 10/27/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

for those of you who don't know, check it out...

**see my next post

--------------------

Edited by Fox (10/27/09 10:56 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Fox]
    #305032 - 10/27/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found

interesting.  I use the shroomery news service.  it's a great compilation from the net in the world on drugs.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

Loc: traveling
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #305086 - 10/27/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

whoops, I misspelled :facepalm:

here's the correct link:

www.cannabisnews.com

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: Fox]
    #305352 - 10/28/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/us/28pot.html

-------------------------------------------------------------
October 28, 2009
Push to Legalize Marijuana Gains Ground in California
By JESSE McKINLEY

SAN FRANCISCO — These are heady times for advocates of legalized marijuana in California — and only in small part because of the newly relaxed approach of the federal government toward medical marijuana.

State lawmakers are holding a hearing on Wednesday on the effects of a bill that would legalize, tax and regulate the drug — in what would be the first such law in the United States. Tax officials estimate the legislation could bring the struggling state about $1.4 billion a year, and though the bill’s fate in the Legislature is uncertain, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, has indicated he would be open to a “robust debate” on the issue.

California voters are also taking up legalization. Three separate initiatives are being circulated for signatures to appear on the ballot next year, all of which would permit adults to possess marijuana for personal use and allow local governments to tax it. Even opponents of legalization suggest that an initiative is likely to qualify for a statewide vote.

“All of us in the movement have had the feeling that we’ve been running into the wind for years,” said James P. Gray, a retired judge in Orange County who has been outspoken in support of legalization. “Now we sense we are running with the wind.”

Proponents of the leading ballot initiative have collected nearly 300,000 signatures since late September, supporters say, easily on pace to qualify for the November 2010 general election. Richard Lee, a longtime marijuana activist who is behind the measure, says he has raised nearly $1 million to hire professionals to assist volunteers in gathering the signatures.

“Voters are ripping the petitions out of our hands,” Mr. Lee said.

That said, the bids to legalize marijuana are opposed by law enforcement groups across the state and, if successful, would undoubtedly set up a legal showdown with the federal government, which classifies marijuana as an illegal drug.

California was the first state to legalize marijuana for medical purposes, in 1996, but court after court — including the United States Supreme Court — has ruled that the federal government can continue to enforce its ban. Only this month, with the Department of Justice announcement that it would not prosecute users and providers of medical marijuana who obey state law, has that threat subsided.

But federal authorities have also made it clear that their tolerance stops at recreational use. In a memorandum on Oct. 19 outlining the medical marijuana guidelines, Deputy Attorney General David W. Ogden said marijuana was “a dangerous drug, and the illegal distribution and sale of marijuana is a serious crime,” adding that “no state can authorize violations of federal law.”

Still, Mr. Lee anticipates spending up to $20 million on a campaign to win passage of his ballot measure in California, raising some of it from the hundreds of already legal medical marijuana dispensaries in Los Angeles, which have been recently fighting efforts by Los Angeles city officials to tighten restrictions on their operations.

“It’s a $2 billion industry,” Mr. Lee said of the medical marijuana sales.

Opponents said they are also preparing for a battle next year.

“I fully expect they will qualify,” said John Lovell, a Sacramento lobbyist for several groups of California law enforcement officials that oppose legalization.

Any vote would take place in a state where attitudes toward marijuana border on the schizophrenic. Last year, the state made some 78,500 arrests on felony and misdemeanors related to the drug, up from about 74,000 in 2007, according to the California attorney general.

Seizures of illegal marijuana plants, often grown by Mexican gangs on public lands in forests and parks, hit an all-time high in 2009, and last week, federal authorities announced a series of arrests in the state’s Central Valley, where homes have been converted into “indoor grows.”

At the same time, however, there are also pockets of California where marijuana can seem practically legal already. At least seven California cities have formally declared marijuana a low priority for law enforcement, with ballot measures or legislative actions. In Los Angeles, some 800 to 1,000 dispensaries of medical marijuana are in business, officials say, complete with consultants offering public relations services and “canna-business management.”

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat and author of the legalization bill, said momentum for legalization has built in recent years, especially as the state’s finances have remained sour.

“A lot of people that were initially resistant or even ridiculed it have come aboard,” Mr. Ammiano said.

In Oakland, which passed a tax on medical cannabis sales in July, several people who signed a petition backing Mr. Lee’s initiative said they were motivated in part by the cost of imprisoning drug offenders and the toll of drug-related violence in Mexico.

“Personally I don’t see a way of getting it under control other than legalizing it and taxing it,” said Jim Quinn, 60, a production manager. “We’ve got to get it out of the hands of criminals both domestic and international.”

Mr. Lovell, the law enforcement lobbyist, however, said those arguments paled in comparison to the potential pitfalls of legalization, including people driving under the influence. He also questioned how much net revenue a tax like Mr. Ammiano is proposing would actually raise. “We get revenue from alcohol,” he said. “But there’s way more in social costs than we retain in revenues.”

The recent history of voter-approved drug reform laws in California is not encouraging for supporters of legalization. Last November, voters rejected a proposition that would have increased spending for drug treatment programs and loosened parole and prison requirements for drug offenders.

None of which seems to faze Mr. Lee, 47, a former roadie who founded Oaksterdam University, a medical marijuana trade school in Oakland, in 2007. Mr. Lee says he plans to use the Internet to raise money, as well as tapping out-of state sources for campaign money.

More than anything, however, Mr. Lee said he was banking on a basic shift in people’s attitudes toward the drug.

“For a lot of people,” he said, “it’s just another brand of beer."

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #306806 - 10/30/09 07:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Heroin, addicting and amazing all in one syringe.

-The MH times

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: mhbound]
    #307395 - 10/31/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

bump for a mod to move this to the new News forum!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... (moved) [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #307398 - 10/31/09 02:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This thread was moved from The Smoke Lounge.

Reason:
Proper place for this thread.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #307814 - 11/01/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:

California lawmakers to debate full marijuana legalization

Here's a clip of Judge James P Gray at the hearing, someone I've respected and supported politically for years.

You can watch the entire assembly hearing on The California Channel in the following three parts:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: The (Official) "recent Cannabis related News Thread"... [Re: geokills]
    #307830 - 11/01/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I like him...I haven't heard much or seen much from him but what I have seen he is very level headed and reasonable. I wish more of the legal system would follow suit.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag