Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

males, pollen, and cleanup
    #296635 - 10/13/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've got some good genetics coming my way in seed form.  Though I plan to choose a few good female phenotypes and propagate from clones, I'd like to (1) save the genetics as seeds in case something happens and I have to cut down, and (2) try my hand at breeding.

So, I was at first going to grow out a handful of each strain, one strain per grow, and let all the males and females flower (taking clones of all females for later mother analysis first), harvest, collect and save plethora of seeds, make hash. Then, once I had a bunch of seeds, work with the previous clones as mothers.

However, I thought of a (I think) better way: grow out each strain at a time, put males into flower while keeping ladies vegging, collect and save pollen, cut males, make hash, clean the shit out of everything, flower girls.  Then I can do selective breeding.

My questions: is this a "better" idea?  Are there even better ones than it?  How long can pollen hang around the room to pollinate future buds?  If the answer is "for more than a couple of weeks," what would be an effective cleaning method?  I seem to remember reading that a spray of water rendered pollen ineffective, but this seems contrary to nature.  Insight?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

Re: males, pollen, and cleanup [Re: God]
    #296646 - 10/13/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd say neither.

You can easily store pollen in the fridge/freezer. Thus, you could selectively choose which male, based on his phenotypes, to use for breeding. Take pollen. Store. Chop his ass down.

Don't ever have a flowering male in the same grow area as females. You're asking for babies.

Also, if you stored the pollen, you could then use a paint brush and 'paint' on the pollen wherever you want to. Thus, you can choose where seeds will be created and where they won't. It saves time and energy. Plus, the weed where it didn't create seeds will be a better smoke than where seeds were created.

Just my 2cents.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: males, pollen, and cleanup [Re: meatcakeman]
    #296651 - 10/13/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do with option two above.

I would let the males flower (that's how you get pollen, right?) and select the ones with the best phenotypes to take pollen from. After collecting pollen, I would cut down the males, clean, and flower the females that were started at the same time as the males, but have been waiting in veg so as to not become pollinated.  I wanted to know if, since I'll have flowered males in there previously, is it possible to eradicate all pollen from the room before moving females into it, and if so, how?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: males, pollen, and cleanup [Re: God] * 1
    #296732 - 10/13/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Flower the males. Find the one that has the stronges smell, most crystels, what ever it is that you like then gather the pollen from that one. Then do the same thing with the females. Breed those together.

Quote:

I seem to remember reading that a spray of water rendered pollen ineffective,

This is true.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: males, pollen, and cleanup [Re: Magash]
    #296852 - 10/13/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Very good to know, thank you!

One other question for anyone who knows: is pollen caught by a carbon filter?  My assumption is "No," since the carbon filter process is more chemical than just a "filter."  If this is correct, what sort of material would you use to block the exhaust, in order to keep pollen as contained as possible for efficient cleanup?  Cannabis sativa's pollen is 25 µm, according to a quick google.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder