Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Gah, I fucking suck at cloning!
    #293387 - 10/07/09 05:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I finally have the space to keep some moms, and I can't seem to get my fucking cuttings to root!

Here's my process-
- take cutting, remove all huge leaves except for one at the top and the growth chute.
- cut at a 45 degree angle at the bottom axial bud
- dip in roottech gel
- place in rapid rooter plug
- spray inside of dome
- place in growing chamber with CFL's

Should I leave more leaves? should I put them under my 600W? I'm so confused, I never imagined I would have this much of a problem with cloning, I've killed like 17 cuttings now in 2 attempts

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKine
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #293395 - 10/07/09 06:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Untill you get the process; its a bitch.  I killed 30 clones my first few attempts.  Now only a few die...

Also; try different methods.  Try a Gel (Olivias worked good for me), powder, or my fav; liquid (powerclone).

The way i had most sucess was ether do em one at a time; or get a half pint jar full of water with a little rooting hormone in it (whatever your using).  Then i'd cut it at the 45 from the plant; and straight into the jar!  Theres a change you can get air bubbles in there; no bueno.  Then if i used the jar (doing several clones) while they were sitting in the jar i'd tip the leaves.  Not cut em off; just the very tips of all leaves on the clone.  Then i'd do each one; take it out; razor the fuck out of the bottom.  Cut it in half; and just poke it; slice it; and just scrape it a bit to expose the softer under tissue (what roots grow from).

Then dip in gel/powder plant, water, and bag em.  I'd eather have a humididome or a bag over the cup to keep REAL high humidity.  Helps a ton!

Place on a heat mat (colder house) and wait.  week or so later; roots!

Or you can do like my friend.  He gets his clones shipped to him; in a baggy.  Dont ask; but he has ungodly success too.  He says he gets the clones; re cuts the bottom; scrapes it a bit; plants it and waters it.  He uses the powerclone.  Its a liquid you constantly water with.  Thus eliminating the whole "Did i put enough hormone? Did i get it around the stem enough?" bs.  Its constantly got proper water; and a constant flow of hormone to it...

But like i said; try different methods; different hormones.  Some work better for some then others.  You'll find yer niche and get it...

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: Kine]
    #293397 - 10/07/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Harry, are your cuttings dying?  Or are they just not rooting?

Rootech and peat pellets + a humidity dome always worked for me.  How often are you misting the dome, how often are you exchanging the air in the cloning chamber?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: coda]
    #293400 - 10/07/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

they aren't really dying until about 2 weeks later, I'm just not seeing any roots. I've got one cutting that's almost 20 days old now, and it looks fresh as can be but still no roots. I don't really mist the dome because it's always got a layer of water on it, but I exchange the air daily.

so poking and removing the outer skin of the branch is the key? I have some razors, I guess I can just peel some of that off and see if it works better. I thought about that, but I was scared of causing an embolism by handling it so much

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #293406 - 10/07/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, especially if you're taking your clones from woodier branches on your plant.  Roots form from the soft tissue in the stem, so you need to expose it to the rooting hormone and moisture to stimulate the growth.  A small exacto knife/razor blade with a steady hand is all you need.  Just gently scrape off the surface layer on the bottom part of your cutting.

Also, this may help, regardless of the moisture on the dome lid, mist it at least once in the morning when you wake up, gently mist the fan leaves of the plant as well to provide them a little extra moisture (may or may not help, but it's worked for me so I'm not knocking it :wink:).  Try and get a little more FAE if you can, it's tough if you're gone all day, but the more fresh air you can give it the better.

If you have the ability to experiment, try taking clones of much newer growth, the cuttings may be smaller, but they're more receptive of cloning so at least you'll be able to get something going in case your larger clones aren't taking root.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293414 - 10/07/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, I'm gonna make you have success in the 90% range and higher right now.

Take a tray like the ones used for cloning that the dome goes on top of. Fill it with water. Stick on one of the sides (it's a rectangle so use one of the short sides) a small water pump like the ones that come in those little fountains that go one a coffee table (petco for around 10 bucks). The water should move around the tray. Now get a air pump and a air stone and put the stone right in front of the pump so the water stays oxygenated. Leave both of them on all the time.

Now put something over the top that you can stick the stems of the cuttings threw and hold them upright. Have about a inch of the stem of the cutting in the water.

You will not need a dome with this method.

Change the water every day or at least every two days (This is the biggest secret to getting ez-clone success).

I will  guarantee every fucking one of you if ya do this you will have cuttings.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineKine
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: Magash]
    #293421 - 10/07/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wait... so basically a DWC... but C for Cloner?  (airstone; water pump, always sitting in water...)

Seems simple enough to me!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: Kine]
    #293427 - 10/07/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You got it dude. (and it's even easier then you think :wink: )

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293430 - 10/07/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so you're suggesting I use like neoprene inserts or something rather than the hormone gel and rapidrooter plugs? I think I can rig something like that up.

Should I keep them under my 600W HPS?

Also, how big of cuttings do you take? 2 nodes? 5 nodes? my mom's are only about a foot tall right now, I'd like to be able to take 2-3 clones from each one without removing half their shoots if possible

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293434 - 10/07/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Harry whats up if I'd have noticed this was your thread I'd have been a little faster.

I like to take em this big weather using cubes or a cloner

I had no problem keeping them under the HID lights but if ya have floro's those will work fine for cuttings.

Your mothers are small so take the cuttings a little smaller they will be fine. Using cubes small cuttings have a little less success cause the stem is softer and the soft tissue is a little easier to rot.,

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293453 - 10/07/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well I just ghetto rigged one of those you were saying by cutting holes in tupperware and using an air pump from an old DWC setup of mine, about to go take some cuttings and see if I can get this to work. I'll be building a better one in the near future though

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293465 - 10/07/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Alright Magash, thanks for your help man! Here's what I did, see if you approve

here are my 3 strains. I would like to start flowering but I want to preserve the genetics because I'm pretty excited to finally have the space to do the same strain more than once and try to perfect it (ie, no more seeds!!!).

here are my first ones, clearly not the happiest cuttings in the world, but the one in the middle is over 2 weeks old and still looks good, so I'm hoping it has some roots down there or something

and here's my new setup, the 3 clones in the tupperware. I was going to make more sites, but I didn't want to take too many cuttings, so instead they're all just kinda crowded. I might go get some better tupperware and neoprene inserts tomorrow and try to make this an actual nice cloner instead of this ghetto rigged beauty :grin:

--------------------

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
    #293550 - 10/07/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If this really does work im going to build one of these like now.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: Lucid]
    #293590 - 10/07/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lol, yeah I was kinda proud of myself, took like 10 minutes to jerry rig and I didn't spend a dollar, I'm just waiting for Magash to chime in and tell me if they've got a shot :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293630 - 10/08/09 02:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If they have the air in the water thay they need they should be fine. Remember to change the water often, I'd do it every day since it's gonna take about 2 seconds to do,

--------------------

OfflinePFA
the guy with the thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: this is...Magyarorszag!!!
    #293636 - 10/08/09 03:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

NICE...i do the same for my cloning. a lil $10 dwc...works like a charm...

--------------------
"apparently u cant do shit"

Edited by PFA (10/08/09 03:49 AM)

Offlinemoogles
    #293739 - 10/08/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Harry,

A solution to your problem may be changing your selected cloning medium. I do not favor rapid rooters.

It's all about the pellets, both peat or coco. Give them a try and you will have success.
Rockwool is good too, as you all know!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gah, I fucking suck at cloning! [Re: moogles]
    #293755 - 10/08/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It's all about the pellets, both peat or coco. Give them a try and you will have success.

I can second that, peat pellets are all I use to germinate seedlings or propagate clones.  Works like a charm and they're dirt cheap and easy to use.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293821 - 10/08/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's all a prefrence thing people. No certain cube has been shown to work better then any other. Started with rockwool, then oasis, then rapid rooters, then back to rockwool for the clones taken to clubs, a ez-cloner for me cause I do flood and drain and don't want any cube used. I myself as far as cubes go like the rockwool ones that are round with a slit rather then a hole. You can slide the cutting in without wiping off the gel.

--------------------

OfflinePFA
the guy with the thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: this is...Magyarorszag!!!
    #294312 - 10/09/09 02:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

all i have to say is powder hormone>most...i dunno the powder adheres to the stalk ya kno? the liquid runs and drips and i dunno ever if its in great enough concentration...since i got this new powder the shittiest of cuts have been taking with no problem...i just cut dip in honey and then into the powder then into a jiffy pot...few days later all nice and rooted and ready for bidness...sorry jus felt like adding that

--------------------
"apparently u cant do shit"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale