Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetophernotsocool
Friend of Earth
Male

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
pollen
    #291972 - 10/04/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

is it practical to harvest pollen and store it in a ziplock for later use? how long does pollen stay good under what conditions?

or is it more like the hot foam you spray on a broad that dies shortly after?

--------------------
"and take me disappearing, through the smoke rings of my mind,
down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
the haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
far from the twisted reach, of crazy sorrow.
yes the dance, beneath the diamond sky, with one hand waving free,
silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
with all memory and fate, driven deep beneath the waves,
let me forget about today, until tomorrow."~bob dylan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pollen [Re: tophernotsocool]
    #291982 - 10/04/09 09:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Your best bet with pollen is to go to the photo mat and ask for film cans.  When your males are blooming, isolate them and put a glass pan or mirror under the flowers and allow the pollen to fall on the glass.
Make sure there isn't any plant material in the pollen and then scrape it into a pile with a clean razor and scoop it into a film canister with  a little flour and a couple grains of rice.
Seal it and wrap the lid in electrical tape, then stick it in your freezer.
Do not remove it until you're ready to use the pollen.
It should be good for a year, but the longer you have it the less virile it is.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineslimDUTCHES
Current Grow: 2 Bageed babes
Male User Gallery

Loc: North West Hemisphere
Re: pollen [Re: tophernotsocool]
    #291983 - 10/04/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Read this, I just did a quick Google search for you...

Collecting and Storing Pollen
Pollen can be extracted from male flowers as soon as they open: you\'ll see the male flower open out from its calyx. It is best to gather pollen after it falls from the pod onto the leaves. You can shake the pollen onto the female flowers to pollinate them or grow your males separately and store their pollen for future use.

Film canisters are great for storing pollen. You can save pollen in a canister for the next harvest. Although it can be stored in the freezer for as long as months, pollen is best used within six months of collection. Pollen has been known to keep for longer than 18 months, but is usually not viable past this time.

Cited: http://www.marijuanahydro.com/the-history-of-cannabis/breeding-marijuanabr.html

--------------------

OfflineAKSE

Re: pollen [Re: slimDUTCHES]
    #292025 - 10/04/09 10:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Rubbing a Q-tip on a male flower makes for easy storage, and easy application later.:thumbup:  You can make more than one, and don't risk pollenating more than you intend.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #292029 - 10/04/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

slimDUTCHES said:
Read this, I just did a quick Google search for you...

Collecting and Storing Pollen
Pollen can be extracted from male flowers as soon as they open: you\'ll see the male flower open out from its calyx. It is best to gather pollen after it falls from the pod onto the leaves. You can shake the pollen onto the female flowers to pollinate them or grow your males separately and store their pollen for future use.

Film canisters are great for storing pollen. You can save pollen in a canister for the next harvest. Although it can be stored in the freezer for as long as months, pollen is best used within six months of collection. Pollen has been known to keep for longer than 18 months, but is usually not viable past this time.

Cited: http://www.marijuanahydro.com/the-history-of-cannabis/breeding-marijuanabr.html

This isn't a good idea if you want to keep the pollen.  The moisture and plant material will contaminate and sterilize the pollen.
Additionally the "shake the male on the female" method will work, but I prefer the method of collecting the pollen and using a watercolor brush to apply it to the parts of the female that you want to pollenate.  That way you still have colas that are unfertilized.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineslimDUTCHES
Current Grow: 2 Bageed babes
Male User Gallery

Loc: North West Hemisphere
Re: pollen [Re: 81renaissance]
    #292050 - 10/04/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah 81reniassance, I have never personally tried the method I just dug up some quick research for this thread.

Your method seems more controlled and efficient in terms of collection and the actual pollination of buds.  Tophernotsocool, I would use 81reniassance's method over the one I mentioned.

But in terms of storing the pollen,  I think the numbers I gave were pretty accurate so thats a time frame to think about.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #292052 - 10/04/09 10:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

slimDUTCHES said:
But in terms of storing the pollen,  I think the numbers I gave were pretty accurate so thats a time frame to think about.

Agreed.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag