Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

Just how strong can the smell be?
    #282414 - 09/18/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm just curious to those who have experience, just how strong is the smell of MJ when it is in the flowering stage.  Like for instance, if I had a grow room adjacent to another room, which had a vent going directly into the other room from the grow room, but I had fans sucking air from the non grow room into the grow room through said vents, would the smell leak out, or would the fans keep the smell from entering the other room?  I would also have an exit ventilation system set up that sucks the air from the grow room into a chimney.  I'm just curious because my roomate is the one who lives in the other room, and they said they would be fine with it going on if their room doesn't smell like weed all the time.

If the smell would leak out, what would be a good way to either cover this smell, or prevent it from leaking in the first place?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: libertaire]
    #282424 - 09/18/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Certain strains will have less of a smell than others. Northern lights has always been a strain that I suggest to people because the smell isn't really slap you in the face strong so its easy to handle.

As long as you move the air in your grow area out the chimney every minute and use a carbon scrubber you can probably do it without a real noticeable smell. Ozone generators are expensive but seem to work on top of what I just mentioned.

Seal your grow area very tight and read up on fan CFM ratings. Aside from those things its just going to be how good of a job you do sealing up your grow.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: mhbound]
    #282663 - 09/18/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You don't actually need a fan in the vent per say... As long as the fan blowing out the chimney is sufficiently powerful to create some negative pressure in the room, the smell should be removed from the building before it has a chance to move to other rooms.

The danger with a fan in the grille is the opposite effect, where you push more air into the room than can be exhausted and the smell is pushed into other areas of the house.

If possible, it may be best just to enclose the grow space in a way that you can direct the grow exhaust directly up the chimney without it having a chance to permeate, barring that, save your money and get a fan twice as powerful as you will need and invest in a speed controller. Just dial it in until you have slight negative pressure and you should be alright.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #283777 - 09/21/09 05:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#286765 - 09/26/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Smell can be a real factor the last 2weeks of flowering without a scrubber. I use the scrubbed warm air from my rooms to help heat the house during colder months. I'm just paranoid about piping it out the chimney dont ask why since installing scrubbers I have no smell of MJ except when smoking

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflinePotheadBob
    #287051 - 09/27/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Don't underestimate the smell - it can be powerful depending on the strain and you don't want to be stuck without odor control at that stage. I grew blueberry and the smell was horendous without odor control. I use an ionizer which works really well. I'm gonna give those deodorizing light bulbs a try too

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: PotheadBob]
    #287188 - 09/27/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard those light bulbs don't work that well. But I'm looking forward to a second opinion

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #287399 - 09/27/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hopefully that's not the case because I already ordered two. I'll post back here with the results tho.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #287417 - 09/27/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

deodorizing light bulb  :wetself:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #287581 - 09/27/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
I've heard those light bulbs don't work that well. But I'm looking forward to a second opinion

I've heard they work somewhat.

But I also have never heard they worked really well either.

So maybe they are just decent?

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Just how strong can the smell be? [Re: meatcakeman]
    #294767 - 10/10/09 06:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay so I got the light bulbs in. I put one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. The plants are drying in the bedroom closet. I had the one in the bedroom running like 8 hours the first day I got it and honestly I don't think it did shit. The ionic breeze knockoff I have on high in the bedroom doesn't seem to do much either. So in a last ditch effort to prevent the smell from reaching the apartment complex hallway (which it already has before), I ran to the grocery store last night and picked up this deodorizer called citrus magic. It's a solid gel type deodorizer in a plastic case. It was $4 and you just peel off the sticker covering the vent on the case and set it out. After 8 hours it seems to be working better than anything else. You could still smell the plants in the bedroom but not in the rest of the apartment and not in the public hallway, so it seems to be controlling the smell. A carbon filter wasn't really effective for me bcuz the closet is not a sealed room with a fan exhaust that I could attach one too. For $4, though, I'd say these citrus magic things are worth a try. You could buy 5 for $20 and put them all over the house to really knock out the odor.

OfflineCannaboid
Gang Green Gang
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #294778 - 10/10/09 08:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Glad to hear some feed back on the light bulbs, sucks that they didn't work.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #294785 - 10/10/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

STRONG!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom