Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

My Second Grow
    #275249 - 09/04/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a bit of a noob at this, but I started a grow journal, but I didn't know it wouldn't post to a thread  :wowz: So I guess I'll just copy paste into here. Unless I can link it?

I tried a "mini-grow" operation not too long ago, just to try and get the feel for getting some plants up and smokable. Didn't turn out too well, but it was all a learning experience. Now I have a decent setup (I think,especially compared to my old one), better seeds, and a lot more knowledge. The seeds are germinating right now, so all I have is pics of the room.

I have several 5?galon pots set up, with rocks lining the bottom for that drainage, and the holes around the top for training :grin:
The blue tub on the right is going to be my reservoir, with a pump inside that will be set up to water automatically. Remembering to water was difficult for me last grow (terrible, I know!)so hopefully this will make things easier on me and the plants. I don't really know how to set up a drip feed system, and don't really know the pros/cons between drip and constant. Any ideas on which is better, and a good method for setting up the drip if that is the superior choice?
My soil mix is going to be just some good top soil I scored from the local nursery for free, a handful of some guanos. I have mexican and jamacain, and planned on doing a bit of each, unless people say otherwise, and of course perlite. I may throw in some rocks just to be artsy ;D
For lighting, I have a 400W HPS, was planning on using from seedling to flowered, it's about a foot above the future plants. I have a small fan for cooling/stem strength. I also have a FL setup, which would you suggest for vegging? Or would it be an even better idea to combine the two of them? It's four(4) 40W Cool White bulbs, 4100K.

The picture quality is shitty, my camera can't handle the flash on it well...
Not sure what the seeds are, got them for free from a friend who claimed them to be "bomb shit" so I think that's what I'll call them =D

My only concern at the moment is will the color of my room/pictures adorning it affect the growth in any negative ways? I know it's not the best, but if it won't hurt it I won't change it just yet, money's kind of tight >.< Any comments/questions/concerns would be much appreciated, I'm still new to this and would love a potential disaster to be avoided! PEACE

--------------------

Video games don't affect kids.
If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.
- Nintendo CEO

Edited by djstan627 (09/06/09 09:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Second Grow [Re: djstan627]
    #275302 - 09/04/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for sharing your new adventure with us.  It should be fun.  I've got a few comments.  First to answer your question, I would clean the walls before starting the grow, just as part of the whole room cleaning process.  Doesn't need to be sterile but obviously the cleaner the better.  But lets not forget cannabis grows outdoors so generally i think you'll be fine.  But for added light you can paint the walls white or just hang up something glossy white or white.  That would be better than aluminum foil.  I am a bit confused on your method here.  You mentioned you are going to put soil in these buckets AND use a reseviour?  In hydro growing you use a rez to hold your nutes suspended in h20.  in soil growing the main nutes are in the soil. 

I run a top feed drip system with a large rez for 8 plants.  I feed the plants 2x a day for 30 minutes at a time.  Imo there's no need to keep a constant flow of water going.  If the roots are allowed to dry out a little bit it will help them absorb oxygen.  Just like when you have a soil grow you don't maintain puddles of water on top, you let the soil dry out before rewatering.  If I were you I would use that rez you have and those buckets, but would raise those buckets up higher and set them on something a foot or two above the res.  Then drill a hole in the bottom of each bucket and then get some hose that size or a bit bigger and install that into the bottom of the bucket using some aquarium sealant.  run the other end into the rez.  You can use hydroton (expanded clay pellets) to put in the buckets.  You will need a few items and something like this...

Let it drip in the top and drain back to the rez.  This way you will have what we call an active, recirculating hydro system.  The floros will work well for veging also.  I use lights just like that.  You can see in this grow log.  And the sequel to that one!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Edited by FurrowedBrow (09/05/09 03:44 PM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Second Grow (moved) [Re: djstan627]
    #275457 - 09/05/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Marijuana Cultivation.

Reason:
By request of the OP.

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Re: My Second Grow (moved) [Re: Stoneth]
    #275694 - 09/06/09 09:45 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Basically the rez setup is just so I don't have to worry about remembering to water my plants. Much as I love my grown weed, I'm still a pot-head and sometimes forget to water things... my question about drip vs. Constant flow was: would it be better to have water slowly throughout the day? Or should all the water be distributed at once? I'm going to use soil, since it should hopefully be an easier process for a noobie.

bit of an update:
yay! sprouts are sprouting!

I also went to go try to do something about the color of my room. I would have liked to gotten sheets hung all around, but my dollar store didn't have any. I limited to shopping there, since it's walking distance, and I'm very limited on budget. New sheets would be too expensive, and I don't have old ones to spare. And since my lease says no painting prior to landlord approval, I'd rather avoid doing anything permanent. So I went out and found some nice white plastic table clothes. Two for a dollar!  :thumbup: Not the best, I agree, but an improvement at least?

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Edited by djstan627 (09/06/09 06:34 PM)

OfflineSgt. Smoke
File up and smoke down!
Male

Loc: Classified
    #276033 - 09/06/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

djstan627 said:
my question about drip vs. Constant flow was: would it be better to have water slowly throughout the day? Or should all the water be distributed at once? I'm going to use soil, since it should hopefully be an easier process for a noobie.

If using a drip system I would use coco, pro mix etc. and do a 24 hour drip. None the less, you're off to a good looking start. Rock on!

--------------------
L.O.B.

LEGION OF BUD

Edited by Sgt. Smoke (09/06/09 09:08 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Second Grow (moved) [Re: Sgt. Smoke]
    #276050 - 09/06/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

those sheets look like a big improvement.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Re: My Second Grow (moved) [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #276257 - 09/07/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm definitely going to be using soil, since I already have it and it was free:thumbup: but I was wondering, what difference does soil medium make in terms of feeding? Would the be negative consequences from a 24hr drip system in soil? Or would it not be as beneficial or just the same as watering at specific intervals?

I've already got all my sprouts potted, fans running and lights going. The last part I need to get completely set up is watering. As soon as all sprouts have emerged above the soil, I'll switch over to a 20/4 timed lights.  Something else I just realized: this will be my last grow oppurtunity before I move. What do you folks think about doubling the lights and getting more plants going? I don't think id train all the extra plants, just have a lot of bud growing all at once:grin:

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Edited by djstan627 (09/07/09 08:38 AM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #276272 - 09/07/09 09:43 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't recommend a constant drip on a soil grow.  In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anyone do that.  What I was trying to say above is that a constant drip is usually done in a hydro system.  Soil doesn't even need to be watered daily (depending on your container size), so to water it constantly is something that isn't really required.  I understand why you want the drip system though.  It just makes it easier.  I just don't think a constant drip is a good idea at all.  I hope someone will come in here and provide you with other ideas/recommendations.  If you've got enough space for the plants and can deal with the added heat of the lights then go for it.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Re: My Second Grow (moved) [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #276285 - 09/07/09 11:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Even if I don't get another light, I'm still probably going to throw in a few more pots and basically let those plants take care or themselves, ie no training, no extra babying steps, just grow grow grow! And I wasn't really planning on doing a constant drip unless someone advised me too. Seems too easy a way for mold and root rot to develop. I know that folks recommend waterin evry 2-3days as nesecary, but what if I spread that waterin out over three days and just did 1/3 the amt every day instead? Would that be stressful for the plants? I don't think I can get a daily timer...

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#277258 - 09/08/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Cool! So I finished setting up my room, setting up my watering system, although it still needs tweaking with the timer. And each of my sprouts has taken! Looking forward to being able to start training them!

It may be hard to see but there a little sprout in each bucket!  :naughty:

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#279198 - 09/12/09 09:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Its been a few days now (four? five?) And each of my little sprouts are working on getting their second set of leaves up and out. However, the coloration of them is starting to worry me. Most are uniform in color, with a fair amount of light green being that color. Another one is splotchy between a darker green and spots of lighter green. I can't tell if its because of the HPS light messing with the color reflection (I grew under fl last time and they were MUCH darker as sprouts), or if its the possibility I over watered them the past couple days. I think I gave them each about 1cup a day the last three days? No pics yet, I'm trying to refrain from using my computer since I'm worried about power consumption in my house.

I know they're still young and it may be to early to diagnose severe problems, but is this common at all? Something I should worry about? I'm letting the soil dry out over the next couple days, but is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime? I'll try to upload some pics if I get to the library.

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#281344 - 09/16/09 05:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I think I may have determined that the problem with plants had to do with a ph of almost 8! However, in rectifying that, I may have accidently killed them! Sodium bisulfate I think is what ended up being used, and of course my dumb stoner ass didn't look at anything other than amounts necessary. Stupid I know, but I've learned the hard way (if the plants don't survive). There's also no pics here. I had to cancel my internet, and apparently I owe $75 to the library for books I can't return? Totally bogus, but it means I can't use the computers there. So I'm left to a cell phone, which can't upload anything =(

But I will at least try to describe my plants. The two that have started to actually GROW have the leaf margins curling up, and the plants definitely do not have the color I was expecting. The other two are completely stunted, barely growing larger than the picture above. On the seedlings that actually have viable leaves, the leaves are extremeley soft, like velvet.

If the plants survive and i learn its not ph, could it be a magnesium (or was it maganese?) deficiency? And I don't plan on using the ph adjuster I currently have anymore

edit: here are the pics right after i poison watered them. i gave them a flush with some distilled water i bought (still a ph of about 7.5!), and they don't look too bad this morning, so i'm hoping the solution was fairly weak. Like I said, I won't be using that phDown anymore.

And then a side-by-side of the "ok" growth and the stunted growth:

--------------------

- Nintendo CEO

Edited by djstan627 (09/17/09 08:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale