Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

Would this fan eliminate heat problems from my light?
    #268401 - 08/21/09 12:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So I have a grow closet that is 4'x3'x2'. I have 3 plants with a 400 watt HPS. I ordered a 120mm computer fan with 21 CFM's.  All I need this fan to do is vent the heat so that the cab doesnt become to hot. I was thinking that I'd put the fan above or beside the light at the top of the cab. Any flaws with this? Thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Would this fan eliminate heat problems from my light? [Re: erikm]
    #268481 - 08/21/09 02:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Small problems often need small solutions. Are you planning on hooking the fan to a vent hose and exhausting it from the room? You want to attach the fan to wherever you're going to exhaust the air, and attach your hose so that the fan pulls air from the end of the hose above your light to the exhaust port.

--------------------

Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Would this fan eliminate heat problems from my light? [Re: PapaKush]
    #268492 - 08/21/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I will not be filtering the air. The exhaust will only go right outside the cab, not the whole room. All I'm concentrating on is getting the heat out of the cab

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #268517 - 08/21/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I very highly doubt that a fan of that size alone would be sufficient to exhaust enough heat from your light to avoid raising the temperatures to excessive levels. I use a 400w light in a cool tube and have to use a 150cfm fan just to keep the temp ~7o above ambient.

If you are indeed brave enough (:failboat:) to attempt a full grow without smell control I would suggest you look into bathroom fans. They are generally cheap and move a great deal more than 21cfm. That said, they are useless for pushing air through a carbon filter. It may be wise to just bite the bullet and spend the cash to acquire a good in-line centrifugal fan or squirrel cage blower for <100$.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Would this fan eliminate heat problems from my light? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #268530 - 08/21/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeah 21 cfm is like someone exhaling out of their nose

if its vented properly, (cool tube style) then the fans could be enough but im not sure

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

#268534 - 08/21/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
I very highly doubt that a fan of that size alone would be sufficient to exhaust enough heat from your light to avoid raising the temperatures to excessive levels. I use a 400w light in a cool tube and have to use a 150cfm fan just to keep the temp ~7o above ambient.

If you are indeed brave enough (:failboat:) to attempt a full grow without smell control I would suggest you look into bathroom fans. They are generally cheap and move a great deal more than 21cfm. That said, they are useless for pushing air through a carbon filter. It may be wise to just bite the bullet and spend the cash to acquire a good in-line centrifugal fan or squirrel cage blower for <100$.

Why do you put the fail boat? Are you saying three plants will produce THAT much of an odor?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #269073 - 08/22/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I only have two plants in my cab and they manage to produce a noticeable odor in every part of my house if I let them go to far into flower without my scrubber. You are asking for trouble by growing pungent illegal flowers without proper odor control.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

#269094 - 08/22/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
I only have two plants in my cab and they manage to produce a noticeable odor in every part of my house if I let them go to far into flower without my scrubber. You are asking for trouble by growing pungent illegal flowers without proper odor control.

I live on a thirty acre farm, the odor wouldnt be TO great of an issue, but I get your point. What is the cheapest fan that I could get to get the air through a homemade carbon filter?

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#269152 - 08/22/09 07:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i agree 21cfm is too low for 400 watts, i think for 25 or 30 bucks i picked up a 56cfm inline duct fan. i would try to exchange the air 2 or 3 times per minute to keep it cool, so your box has 24 cubic feet so you would need 56-71 cfm to achieve that

i had 13 plants in a trailer park b4, there was around 10 feet between houses and maintence and lawn people always around. (this grow http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/255575) i just sealed the house with spray foam and windows with caulk and vented the two 600's through the wall and under the bathroom counter, unless my front door was opened you couldnt smell it outside however the whole inside reaked. If your on 30 acres you'll be strait unless your worried people you invite in will smell it but why would you have people over you cant trust?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Would this fan eliminate heat problems from my light? [Re: supersiege]
    #269611 - 08/23/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The cheapest options will be a modified Stanley blower from walmart etc, or a salvaged squirrel cage blower from a HVAC store or salvage yard, they are used for furnace blowers. Elsewise, a 70$ valueline inline centrifugal fan will do the trick.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

#269755 - 08/24/09 08:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:

Why do you put the fail boat? Are you saying three plants will produce THAT much of an odor?

Between my 1 mother and the 4 clones that i flowered at 1',
I still needed a carbon filter. It only took an hour to stink
up my entire place when the filter was off.

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep to the rythm of the War Drums
Wild Seeds (again)
White widow X Sour Diesel grow

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates