Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
The organic myth. * 2
    #262584 - 08/10/09 05:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I have been growing since the mid 80’s and the entire time I’ve heard how organic bud is better tasting and such. I always felt that this was true just cause when you listen to why it is suppose to be better then buds grown with synthetics or chemical nutrients it seems to make sense. Then I saw this show called bullshit with Penn and Teller and the subject was organic food. I saw the test that they did and I just had to do em with buds.
Well the test was done at 3 different clubs and with a group of growers in Mendocino County. The strain used was Granddaddy Purple.
People were allowed to try free samples of organic grown and buds grown with General Hydroponics nutrients. Flora Nova and Kool Blooms.
Now the samples
2 plates of buds with labels showing but the buds switched. Organic buds in the hydro plate and hydro buds in the organic plate. 2 plates with no labels and the buds were in the right plate. Then for fun (he he he ) two sets of plates one with organic buds in both plates and one with hydro buds in both plates.

The results.
Buds in the right plate but no labels showing  73% of people picked the hydro buds as better tasting and smoking buds.

Buds in the plates with the labels showing but with the buds switched 87% picked the organic side with the hydro buds in the plate. (Even so far as going and saying they can taste the soil then getting very pissed when shown the bud they picked)

Then the same buds divided into two and put into labeled plates. So what I mean here is buds from the same plant put into two plates with different labels to see if anybody would notice. In both sets of plates 87% of people again picked the Organic as better tasting in both sets even though it was the same bud divided into two plates. I heard comments on how the organic tasted “earthy, cleaner, less salty, and one who insisted that the organic buds burnt better then got pissed when told he picked hydro in every instance.

The only people who picked right were people who didn't care if grown organic or grown with raid ant killer as long as they got a free sample.

Both sets of buds were flushed for one week before harvesting.

Conclusion is that properly grown hydro buds seems to be as good in every way as organic buds.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: Magash]
    #262590 - 08/10/09 07:00 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

That's classic!!! Great study. Figures as much.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineZippy
Needlepoint
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz
    #262606 - 08/10/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
(Even so far as going and saying they can taste the soil then getting very pissed when shown the bud they picked)

:rofl:

--------------------
Even a fish could stay out of trouble if he learned to keep his mouth shut.
Indoor Floro Troublemaker/ Troublemaker x WW grow
Indoor 1000w HPS Soil Grow- *updated*

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #262617 - 08/10/09 10:20 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

awesome study Magash, thanks for the info!

How did the quantity of harvest vary between the two methods?

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #262620 - 08/10/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting.  I've long been a proponent of organic growing, but for reasons other than taste (though I too have heard the hype behind it).

I do have a couple questions regarding your study, I'll start with the first and then afterward I'll possibly post a second.
First one is simple: what were the components and additives in your organic soil?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

#262758 - 08/10/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Haha :thumbup: nice study with interesting results.  There are a lot of pot "snobs" out there nowadays...  Limiting nutes near the end of flowering and a good cure is all you need to improve taste imo.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: eTarded]
    #262865 - 08/10/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

cheers, mag.  Organically grown stuff is a lot like other types of drug hype out there.  I think it really all boils down to how well you can grow.  Organic grows are a bit more tolerant to mistakes then a hydro grow is.  And well, if you fuck up a hydro grow the end result is pretty noticeable.    In the end nutes are nutes, as long as they don't end up in the bowl you're smoking who cares how they were created.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: The organic myth. [Re: coda]
    #262883 - 08/10/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Probably a good idea to question this conception.  I would think that the taste would be slightly different between hydro and organic.  My next grow I plan on going aero for the high yield.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: 81renaissance]
    #262975 - 08/10/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

First one is simple: what were the components and additives in your organic soil? Bat Guano, Sea Bird Guano. See Weed extracts, Humic acid.

Soil was Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #262996 - 08/10/09 08:07 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Were you on the news for this?

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #263039 - 08/10/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Great test.

Gota love that FF/OF

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: Triptonic]
    #263045 - 08/10/09 09:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

No, I was in the news in the early 90s when one of my indoor grows got busted.

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#263146 - 08/11/09 12:27 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thats not the point. And penn and teller are poo stabbers.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: The organic myth. [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #263162 - 08/11/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Good study.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The organic myth. [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #263213 - 08/11/09 09:10 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So question two: In your opinion, is terpene production a result of genetic function in cannabis (as opposed to being affected by the growth medium), or does hydro provide all the necessary "bio-building blocks" necessary for good (possibly better) terpene production?

I'd like to see this study in a more objective format too, like having the hydro and organic buds tested, but I know that is pricey and that this is a time consuming hobby.  The reason I say that is because of your "don't care if its Raid" group: you say they chose correctly, and it seems possible that since they had no bias toward organic buds, that they were able to differentiate. 
A test subject who is biased toward organics and who has an external influence suggesting that a sample is "organic" (the mislabeled plates) will then choose that sample in the remaining tests so as to be consistent with their stated beliefs.
Let me be clear: I'm intrigued by the results, and I am not discounting them, just offering up some different viewpoints for discussion.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #263230 - 08/11/09 10:09 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Terpene production is gonna be more genetic then anything else but I do believe it can be increased with added potassium (the main ingredient in Purple Maxx and the new stuff Snow Storm Ultra) and can be done faster with hydro methods because the nutrients are more available.

Now the raid group. I don't think they were able to tell the difference because I don't feel anybody can actually tell the difference. They were more likely just to get more right cause they weren't locking themselves onto a choice before they even tried the samples.

Testing the buds doesn't really need to be done because it never came down to which was actually better rather then it was overcoming what people believe before ever trying the samples.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #263231 - 08/11/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think a full on blind study would be more accurate for the purpose you are pursuing.  I feel that if you did the same study with a group of people who were "pro-hydro" you would acheive the opposite results as this test, that is, they would predominantly pick what they thought was hydro bud thereby "overcoming" what they believed before testing the samples.
Still it is so interesting to me that people are so convinced of the superiority of organic bud without knowing why, and that they are so emotionally attached to their "preference" that it actually evokes anger in them when they choose incorrectly.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Edited by 81renaissance (08/11/09 10:34 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #263240 - 08/11/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I agree with ya hydro people are gonna pick hydro and so on. I have a copy of this same post in the lounge and somebody has put up the Penn & Teller that I got the idea from.

The one thing that was a surprise was that when it came down to picking one when they didn't know if it was organic or hydro that they were trying the majority of people organic lovers or not chose the hydroponic bud.

Quote:

Still it is so interesting to me that people are so convinced of the superiority of organic bud without knowing why, and that they are so emotionally attached to their "preference" that it actually evokes anger in them when they choose incorrectly.

and the funny thing is, if I had put moldy bud in the organic plate and killer in the hydro and labeled them right the organic lovers would smoke the moldy bud. I knew that people got into the organic thing but to some it was almost a religion esp with the growers in Mendo County, They were no different though and when it came down to the blind test they chose the hydro. Then got mad that they chose it.l

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #489613 - 10/19/10 10:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Terpene production is gonna be more genetic then anything else but I do believe it can be increased with added potassium (the main ingredient in Purple Maxx and the new stuff Snow Storm Ultra) and can be done faster with hydro methods because the nutrients are more available.

Potassium and Sulfur are both essential to the crops flavor and oil content. Canna contributed some information to the infamous Grow Bible about nutrients and their technical information. Potassium and Sulfur are both constituents of amino acids and proteins so they're both essential to resin production. Furthermore there's mention of Potassium being essential to sugar production and Sulfur being a key component of flavonoids and terpenes.

Offlinecoastalcalifornia
Organic Grower

Loc: California
    #631237 - 07/10/12 02:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Plants are organic matter. Human flesh, blood, and organs are also organic matter.

With all of the harm that synthetic pharmaceuticals cause to human health - why would you want to introduce that chemical matter into your plants? When you introduce synthetic chemicals into organic matter - you are growing a mixture of organic AND chemical matter. If you eat raw produce grown with synthetic nutrients - you ultimately eat chemicals. If you are heating and inhaling plant matter grown with synthetics - inorganic chemicals ultimately end up in your bloodstream.

Prior to the 1900's - no one used synthetic fertilizers. For me growing organic is a matter of tradition. Don't let bullshit propaganda about synthetic fertilizers being cheaper and more effective let you rule against nature.

...just my opinion.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale