Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKine

Room size and Temp issues...
    #259270 - 08/03/09 07:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

How do room size and temp work?  Im assuming the larger the room, the less heat issues? Im trying to build a small 150w grow and im trying to determine how big of fans i may need and such.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Room size and Temp issues... [Re: Kine]
    #259402 - 08/04/09 01:57 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Read about CFM(cubic feet per minute). Your fan needs to be able to at least move that...

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

Re: Room size and Temp issues... [Re: mhbound]
    #259660 - 08/04/09 04:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

your correct on larger rooms, i dont think 150 will be too hard to extract heat from. how big is the room, what kind of reflecter do you have, does the room have an ac vent?

OfflineKine

Re: Room size and Temp issues... [Re: supersiege]
    #259672 - 08/04/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Lol... CFM aint gonna help me there.  I need tried and true evidence and such.  I had a 265cfm blower and a stanley blower bosting 2k CFM... i know that stanley was BS.  It all looks good on paper... but i need working evidence. 

And i dont have refelctor ect ect... im planning and blue printing my room... but i need a few more bits of info to finish it all up...

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#259677 - 08/04/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well i have a 400 watt in a 10 by 10ish room with a 465 squirrel fan attached to a air cooled reflector with lens, light is fairly close to a floor ac vent and i have an oscillating fan...i try to keep the exhaust duct going out under the door but most of the time it just gets pushed into the corner so really the heat is just blown to the other side of the room...i have no problems what so ever heres a link to the grow
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/255487

Edited by supersiege (08/04/09 05:44 PM)

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#259679 - 08/04/09 05:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

before that i had a dual 600 (1200wat) air cooled reflecter with lens again...in room of similar size, same squirrel fan this time i ran the heat through the wall into the bathroom cabinent as those 600's got real hot, i added a box fan at the end an oscilating fan in the middle and a small floor fan by the ac vent to throw cold air towards the lights heres to the plants in that environment, again i could maintain the temp at about 78 with the ac set to 74 and pics of the set up

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/255575

Edited by supersiege (08/04/09 05:59 PM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#259722 - 08/04/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

CFM  won't help? Okay sir if you say so I guess everyone I've been in contact with has lead me in the wrong direction. Hot air out and another fair for cooler air in...It works fine, but I guess it doesn't work for you.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #260122 - 08/05/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kine said:
Lol... CFM aint gonna help me there.  I need tried and true evidence and such.  I had a 265cfm blower and a stanley blower bosting 2k CFM... i know that stanley was BS.  It all looks good on paper... but i need working evidence. 

And i dont have refelctor ect ect... im planning and blue printing my room... but i need a few more bits of info to finish it all up...

Quote:

mhbound said:
CFM  won't help? Okay sir if you say so I guess everyone I've been in contact with has lead me in the wrong direction. Hot air out and another fair for cooler air in...It works fine, but I guess it doesn't work for you.

mhbound is right, heat shouldn't be a issue if you are replacing the air in the room completely; hot air out and cooler air in.

Works for me anyways.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineAudz

Re: Room size and Temp issues... [Re: Stoneth]
    #260130 - 08/05/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Seriously, calculate the CFM of your area. If you have a fan that can clear this a couple times per minute, I guarantee you wont have heat problems (assuming the air being pulled from outside is cool enough).

I have 120w of CFL in a 32ft^3 box being cooled by a 55cfm computer fan and that keeps my temps doable. That clears the air twice every 70 or so seconds and my temps stay at about 85. Do some math.

And what are you asking for with "tried and true" evidence? This shit is tried in true, everyone on here will tell you damn near the same thing about CFM and fans. Do you want us to go do huge controlled experiments and report back with dissertations? What are you looking for?

OfflineKine

Re: Room size and Temp issues... [Re: Audz]
    #260349 - 08/05/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

CFM's dont matter to me.  I can do all these calculations and shit... but its not going to matter.  I can guarentee a lot of the fans out there (for DIY stuff and cheaper routes (the route im taking more so); not Hydrofarm shit and what not) lie on the CFM's.  So i can do all these calculations on the paper, and have everything down to a pinpoint; but when i build it, it could be entirely wrong. 

Im talking like i want to hear like "I used a 265cfm hydrofarm Squirrel cage for my air cooled hood and a Stanley "1260cfm" blower for exhaust and it cooled my 400w in a 5x4x2 room."  That was my first grow... even tho the stanley was bigger "cfm's", it couldnt handle cooling the 400w; thus heating the room to much for the 265 to cool and vent properly.  A simple switch made it great; along with the addition of a larger intake and it made drastic changes...

Maths not the problem or anything... i just know how often things on paper dont turn out how they should.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#260352 - 08/05/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well then ask for the name of a good fan don't sit here and tell us that it doesn't work because I know for a fucking fact it does and I can show you. Squirrel cage fans on ebay. And how do you know that guy knows what the hell he is talking about?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineKine

#260374 - 08/06/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What guy?

I know the names of plenty of good fans... not how im doing it. and wow... i can find em on ebay too.  But im pretty sure its going to be a lot cheaper, and easier the way im looking at doing it.  Plus; a squirrel cage would be to large, and not quiet enough.  Thus, why i said name brand shit like hydrofarm is not an option.  And thats why CFM's dont count cause i can calculate i would need ~75cfm, and even though a small inline fan may say 125cfm, i bet it might just barley be enough for my application.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#260376 - 08/06/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

People use computer fans man. You just aren't open to anyones suggestions and nobody is going to be able to help you that way. If you want our help why don't you tell us what exactly you are doing (demensions of the room, lighting, all of the details) and I and others will tell you what we recommend.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineKine

#260390 - 08/06/09 12:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

... ugh.  All im for sure of is 150w, steal all in one grow cab.  Im deciding what equipment to use, fans, size of room, ect.  I do know some stuff like i need like a 5 times larger fan then what my CFM calculation is due to scrubber.

Im open to suggestion.  But this isnt my first grow room.  I just never got to see results because of some bullshit that happened with my room mate.  So now im trying to build and design my new room but have questions that never fully got answered myself.  IE, if i should leave water setting during soil grows, or not... and if, and how much, room size affects temp.  Cause a 5x2x4 room with 400 w is a enclosed closet is a BITCH to cool and work with!  but lemme tell ya... i got work done with that shit.

OfflineSativaSam
Male

#260424 - 08/06/09 05:35 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

try this......

http://www.csgnetwork.com/airexchangecalc.html

and i also stumbled upon this on another forum for all your DIY

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637&highlight=link-o-rama

--------------------
In every seed, there is a bag of weed!:wink:

P.S. if you don't own a copy of Marijuana Horticulture, the indoor/outdoor medical growers bible, you need to get a copy!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder