Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec0nst4ntine

**First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log PICS**
    #255161 - 07/25/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all, i've been lurking and researching for a few weeks now and decided to start my first grow. The room is about 4x7x8, and i have put bagseed in some jiffy nugs as well as little jiffy pots of miracle grow soil (21-7-14). The lights are both 40w so 80 total (ill check the lumens when i can find the box). I also have 2 60w cf lights that i am going to install over the next day or so. The seedlings that have sprouted (4 of them) are on day 3 since they were put in soil. The 2 clones i took from my friends mother, he doesn't know the strain and the plant that these clones were taken from had just been put in flowering stage and determined to be female. One of my clones' big leaves is starting to yellow, what would that be from, any help would be appreciated. I'll continue to update as new things happen.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Edited by c0nst4ntine (07/26/09 12:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejym
Here for the kicks
Male

Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log** [Re: c0nst4ntine]
    #255173 - 07/25/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

like the spore prints :mushroom2:

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log** [Re: jym]
    #255249 - 07/26/09 12:01 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Those are for a little side project i have going  :bongload:

A few things that i didn't mention in the last post: i have a fan blowing on the table that these seedlings will be on, it rustles the leaves on the clones but not too much. The syringe is in a glass of distilled water which is used to water the plants. I also just noticed when i went up to take more pics that another seedling was starting to poke through the soil.

Here are the 2 additional lights i will be adding, each is 60w so that will bring the total up to 200w over about a 1.5ftx4ft table.

This is the seedling that just poked through in the lower right of the cup

These are the 2 seedlings which already have their serrated leaves, they only had been out of the soil for a few hours and already have those leaves which i take as a good sign.

Lastly here is the seedling in between the other two in size

As a side note there were a lot of seeds used for what we have and it's highly possible that we have multiple strains here because the seeds we used were collected over a time when we got different types of weed.

--------------------
My First Grow!

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#255323 - 07/26/09 01:54 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Are the clones rooted and if they are then you might want to think about adding superthrive to the yellowing clone. It looks like Nitrogen problems but it also looks limpy so water and mist leaves too.

--------------------

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log** [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #255328 - 07/26/09 02:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I dipped the clones in rooting hormone before they were put in the jiffy nugs, and they will be 3 days old this coming afternoon so they do not have roots yet that I can tell. I was planning on picking up some superthrive tomorrow as well as either a set of foxfarm or technaflora products, anyone have any suggestions? Also, I forgot to mention that the mother plant the clone was taken from appears to be a sativa strain as it is growing tall with pretty skinny leaves, I'm hoping to get 3-4 more clones off that tomorrow. On another note the jiffy pots all have 3 seeds in them, this was because I wanted a maximum number of germinating seeds, I'm planning on separating them out before they get much bigger (once they have all sprouted). Once I have enough plants im planning to do a SoG type set up.

--------------------
My First Grow!

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #255382 - 07/26/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Your grow show looks solid so far.  I have just completed my first indoor grow, in which i used cfls too.  I ended up with some chron but bud density is for shit.  Next year I plan on switching to a 150 watt HPS for flowering which i would suggest you do too if you want any kind of density in the buds.  Just something to think about.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
New Cuttings Require High Humidity to Thrive [Re: c0nst4ntine]
    #255391 - 07/26/09 09:49 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You've stated that your clones are only 3 days old and unlikely to have rooted. 
New cuttings should be housed in a humidity tent and be kept from extreme temperatures.

Definitely do not keep a fan on the clones, as that will only serve to dry them out.  Remember that fresh cuttings have no root structure to suck up moisture from the growing medium... so if you dry them out before they can pump out roots, they're going to be cooked!  You must keep them in a very moist environment until they have an established root system.

On the temperature, anywhere from 70 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit should work pretty well.
  • You'll want high humidity (80-90%) for rooting clones/cuttings.

• Optimal humidity at 60 - 70% rH for vegetative growth.

• Lower humidity of 40 - 60% during flowering to help reduce the risk fungal contamination on your dank buds.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Cuttings Require High Humidity to Thrive [Re: geokills]
    #255405 - 07/26/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldnt worry too much about the yellowing leaves. It is very common for the lower leaves to yellow on clones while roots develop because they have no way of taking in nutrients, so they take them from the older leaves. I recommend not cutting off any leaves, no matter how yellow they are, until roots are present and new growth has begun.

Pictures are in 1 week increments.

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: New Cuttings Require High Humidity to Thrive [Re: Integra21]
    #255776 - 07/26/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys, time for an update. I got two more clones today from my friends female mother plant and put them in the container with my other two clones. I put the plastic top back on and misted the container, hopefully that should take care of them being too dry. I also got those other two 60 watt soft light bulbs running, they are 830 lumens each which added to my two 40 watt (3050 lumens) tubes brings the total lumens too 7,760. Is that enough for this type of grow? There are now a total of 7 sproutlings and they seem to be going good, those same two that already had their serrated leaves at the beginning are still the only ones with new leaves. The temperature after having the new lights on awhile to adjust was 84 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity was 51%. After going up to check the temperature i decided to cut the really nasty leaf off of one of my clones so it can concentrate its efforts on new growth. Will update again soon :bongload:.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: New Cuttings Require High Humidity to Thrive [Re: c0nst4ntine]
    #256874 - 07/28/09 06:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

HELP!

Three of my seedlings are starting to fall over, I haven't really changed anything and the light is not very far above them so I don't really get what is happening, any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
My First Grow!

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #257417 - 07/29/09 10:07 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Umm give them some fucking water!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #258483 - 08/01/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Remember that these guys will want moist well-draining soil, never sopping wet, but you shouldn't let it dry out completely in between watering either.

If you are watering too much and/or the plants aren't getting enough light, seedlings may "damp off", which you can diagnose if the bottom part of the stem starts to turn black and wither all thin and skinny like - even as the rest of the seedling looks OK.  If that happens, you're pretty much boned on those that have started to damp off.

There is also the chance that the genetics or your soil medium just aren't up to par and you'll need to put a toothpick or sterile twig in there to support the plant during its early growth.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: New Cuttings Require High Humidity to Thrive [Re: geokills]
    #259640 - 08/04/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the advice! I haven't updated in awhile because a lot has been going on. Unfortunately all of my seedlings "damped off" so that was sort of crappy but my clones are still alive and kicking. I decided I did not need as big of a room as they were in so I moved the grow operation to a smaller closet of mine. My SUPERthrive came in the mail finally so i have been watering the clones with a half strength solution of distilled water and superthrive. I only wish it would have came earlier to potentially save those poor seedlings. Now that i can hopefully give them some nutes from the start I might try again as soon as tonight to sprout some more seedlings. I also added another clone to bring the total to 5 and hope to add a few more in the coming days. I will update later tonight with a picture of the new set-up and clones. :bongload:

Edit: I did end up getting two monster clone cuttings from the same female plant as the others. I mixed the soil up wet (3/4 perlite and 1/4 vermiculite). Then i re-cut the very end of the clones, dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in the soil. I also failed to mention before that my 5 older clones had gotten battered about in the transition to their new home and some are a bit worse for the wear but the SUPERthrive is helping greatly. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of them but I will soon.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Edited by c0nst4ntine (08/05/09 12:46 AM)

Offlinec0nst4ntine

#260287 - 08/05/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Time for an update. Today I went to get bulbs to replace those 80w incandescent bulbs (they made the closet too hot and also were, come to find out compared to the CFLs very energy inefficient) and I got a 4 pack of 75w equivalent 1200 lumen CFLs. I replaced the two incandescent bulbs and in addition I got plug sockets and hung the other two up in the room. The cords look a bit hazardous but they are fine. This increased my total lumens in the closet by 3140 bringing the total to 10,900 lumens, I hope the plants enjoy the extra light! Here are the first pictures of my newest big clones, they were cut and put into that homemade soil last night. My other 5 clones are recovering greatly from their abuse, the clone in the top right of the picture was actually all brown (I thought it was dead) but it is now over 50% green again and it looks like the trend is going to continue on the clone in the bottom right as it is starting to green up again too (SUPERthrive really works!). Will update as new things happen :bongload:

Edit: The 5 smaller clones still always have their humidity tent on, i just took it off for the picture.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Edited by c0nst4ntine (08/05/09 08:20 PM)

OfflineRaijin
Stranger

#262113 - 08/09/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

the CFLs will treat your plants a lot better than those incandescents.  :thumbup:

OfflineZippy
Needlepoint
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz
Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log PICS** [Re: c0nst4ntine]
    #262181 - 08/09/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Good looking grow! I'll be checking back on your progress :super:

:bonghit:

--------------------
Even a fish could stay out of trouble if he learned to keep his mouth shut.
Indoor Floro Troublemaker/ Troublemaker x WW grow
Indoor 1000w HPS Soil Grow- *updated*

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log PICS** [Re: Zippy]
    #262210 - 08/09/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Today I moved my 5 oldest clones into actual "pots" filled with soil I made using coir and perlite. I also lowered the lights a lot closer to the plants.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Offlinec0nst4ntine

Re: **First grow, bagseed and clones Grow Log PICS** [Re: c0nst4ntine]
    #265227 - 08/14/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so ALOT has been going on with my grow. It turns out that the plant my friend thought was female turned out to be male (see first pic) but on a better note his second plant just showed sex and I'm almost positive its a female (second pic, looks like a calyx with two pistils coming out to me). I got rid of all my male clones, turns out their roots were growing really well so that makes me feel good about my cloning tek. I took two clones from the female plant and after dipping them in rooting powder I put them in a cup of 50% perlite 50% coir. I have been germinating some seedlings in a towel and yesterday I planted two of them in smaller cups of the same soil mixture (here's hopin they are ladies!). I also added another two 40w 6500k 3050 lumen floro tubes to my set-up. This doubles the amount of 6500k light which should help these plants out a lot in the veg cycle. I took out one of the 2700k CFLs so my total lumens is at 15,800 and my total watts is now up to 217 (160 is 6500k daylight and 57 is soft white 2700k). I plan on keeping these guys in 24/0 veg for 2 weeks to a month and then switching to 12/12. I have more germinated seeds hopefully by now that I can plant and I may get a few more clones today so I will update again when some new things happen.

--------------------
My First Grow!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract