Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecaptainmurphie
Stranger
 User Gallery

My setup and why is my pepper's stem turning purple?
    #249827 - 07/15/09 10:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I recently constructed a pretty nifty little grow box for my room. It is 33" high by 18" square. I've got five 26 watt daytime CFLs with a color temp. of 6500k.

I got some cheap pepper plants from a local greenhouse that were only $1 per flat. In the flat there was a mixture of Super Chili, Pimento Elite and Jalapeño. I picked the best looking one of each type and planted all three in 8" pots. I took the rest of the flat and planted them in a very sunny spot in my yard.

I ended up taking two of the peppers (Super Chili and Jalapeño) out of my grow box to make some extra room and placed them on my screened in porch where they are somewhat shaded.

About five days ago I decided to experiment with the pepper that was still in my grow chamber. I removed all but four of the leaves, most were in pretty bad shape in the first place. It had a pepper growing directly off the top of the stem which I removed as well. There were three leaves growing almost directly above one another so I trained one off to the side with a twist tie.

This pic was taken a couple days after trimming. I know it's bad but you can see where new leaves are starting to grow and you can see the stem all ready starting to turn purple...

These were taken about a week after I trimmed the plant and two days after feeding it some 10-30-20.

As you can see, where the twist tie was used for training there is no purple on the stem.

So, is the purple stem from stress from trimming/training? light spectrum? age?

If anyone is interested in comparing, I can take some pictures of how the other peppers are doing in their respective environments and post them tomorrow.

Also, under the right conditions, how long could I potentially keep this pepper plant alive for?

Oh, and one more thing... what's this green stuff that just recently started growing on the dirt around my walnut tree? It seemed to pop up a couple days after it's first feeding but there is no green stuff growing in any other pots fed with the same nutrients.

--------------------
There can be only none!

"Prohibition...goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
-- Abraham Lincoln, December, 1840

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: My setup and why is my pepper's stem turning purple? [Re: captainmurphie]
    #250862 - 07/17/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Purple stems are a sign of over watering. I have Jalapenos growing as well and they also have purple stems. Just water less and that should clear up. Under the right conditions you could keep it alive for quite some time. I have actually seen a bonsai pepper plant. The green stuff is most likely mold.

Offlinecaptainmurphie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Updated pics and a question [Re: captainmurphie]
    #251615 - 07/19/09 10:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not entirely convinced that the purple stem is from over watering, I've been watering very sparingly since receiving your advice, Trip, and even the new chutes are turning purple near their base. Though I will say, where the twist tie was on the stem for training, there is no purple... still, and it's been off for a few days now.

Either way, the plant seems to be extremely healthy so it's not like the purple stem worries me in any way.

I can see flowers starting in some of the new chutes, I don't want flowers yet... how long should I let them develop before removing them?

With the peppers I have on my porch I tried pollinating two flowers on my Jalapeño plant with pollen from that same plant, both of those flowers died where they connected to the stem and fell off. Can Jalapeño plants not pollinate themselves?

--------------------
There can be only none!

"Prohibition...goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
-- Abraham Lincoln, December, 1840

OfflineplaydohA
 User Gallery

Re: Updated pics and a question [Re: captainmurphie]
    #279529 - 09/13/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

In my experience, the purple lines are from the light source. I had the same thing happening, moved them outside and its all cleared up now.

--------------------
'...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all
one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as
death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom