Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

fan/light-distance/nutes
    #242609 - 06/24/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone!

So, first real grow and a few questions. 1) how old must my seedlings be before putting a fan directly on them? 2) I am running a 250 watt HID, at what distance can I put the light from the top of the tallest seedling? 3) When should I start implementing nutes to my babies? I have one which seems to have matured more quickly than the others and its primary nodes are yellowing...nitrogen deficiency?? Also, I've one straggler who's been chillin' at the same height for about 10 days now. It droops quite a bit and I use a mist/spray bottle to get her back on her feet...this is always short-lived, though.

Thoughts? comments? cries of outrage???

Cheers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAudz

Re: fan/light-distance/nutes [Re: zielonagora]
    #242657 - 06/24/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

1. Depends on how strong of a fan we're talking about. If you've got a nice gentle breeze, it's never too early. Too much breeze and you might knock them over, though.

2. Never personally used a HID light, but the general consensus seems to be 3" to 6" depending on how much airflow you have between the kids and the light. Since they sound like they're pretty young, I'd start with 6" and adjust from there.

3. Not my area of expertise at all as I always seem to feed them too early. If you used a really good soil, you shouldn't need to feed them until about a month or so of age. By primary node, do you mean the top node? I was under the impression that N deficiency usually starts with the older leaves working up. Like I said, I'm not entirely 100% on that though.

4. Are the leaves getting crispy when it starts to droop? Drooping is usually a sign of the opposite problem: overwatering. Do you wait until the soil is dry an inch or so down before watering? Pics would be helpful for this problem as it's hard to pinpoint from your description alone.

Good luck!

Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

Re: fan/light-distance/nutes [Re: Audz]
    #242693 - 06/24/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I mis-spoke. 'Node' was not the correct term, I'm talking about the initial leaf-like flaps that push off the seed shell. I'm using a Miracle Grow seed-starting soil. It contains some perlite... Is it ok that I mist them with distilled water? I've read somewhere that it's best at the first stages of growth but I don't know how legit the source is. No, the leaves aren't crispy. The particular plant in mind droops but hasn't really formed any leaves yet. It's those first 'flaps' that look droopy and wilting. Perhaps I've overwatered. I'll let her go a few days before giving her any more H2O. 6 Inches? hmm... I had them placed about 18 inches...now there at about 9, with the tallest at about 7. I'll keep my eye on 'em for a few hours to see if they like it.  Thanks so much for our post. Very helpful.

the pics, note the drooping little sister:

Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

#242694 - 06/24/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

that last line was to read 'thanks so much for YOUR post...I'm not that ego-driven :crazy2:

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #242724 - 06/24/09 11:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The "initial leaf-like flaps" you're talking about are the cotyledons - an embryonic leaf in seed bearing plants - the first leaves of the seedling that appear to gather light, but do not exhibit the identifiable traits of the specific type of plant being grown.

Give them some time.  Unfortunately, it is not all that uncommon to experience seeds partially germinating or not germinating at all.  If the "little sister" doesn't make it, move on and focus on the remaining healthy plants.  Remember, all you need is one strong female from which you can take clones, for a very nice harvest!

As for misting... seedlings will not enjoy very dry surroundings, so it is a good idea to maintain a relative humidity of 70% or more.  You can mist them directly if you like, but make sure you don't let the soil get too wet from all of your misting.

On the light... I would not set young seedlings very close to an HID light.  You could even save some energy and use a compact florescent bulb for the first week of seedling growth, because frankly a germinated seed with only a couple cotyledons is not going to make use of the vast majority of the light produced from an HID.  You certainly can use an HID without problems; however I wouldn't recommend placing young seedlings closer than 12" from the light source to begin with, in order to reduce the potential for them to dry out or burn from intense light and/or heat.

Once the seedlings have a little bit of stock to them, and provided that you maintain reasonable temperatures and good air movement in your grow room to agitate the fan leaves, you can keep your light as close as 5 - 6" to the top growth of your plant without too much trouble.

If you used good soil, you shouldn't need to start feeding for a few weeks.  When you begin fertilizing, use half of the recommended strength until you are in tune to your plant's needs.  Fertilizers commonly list three numbers: N-P-K for Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium.  Plants in vegetative growth should be fed a fertilizer that has a slightly higher N component than P or K (example: 15-10-10).  When flowering, you should switch to a fertilizer that offers a higher P component (example: 10-15-10). 

Use a fan, it will help strengthen the plant's stem and provide fresh air exchange to cycle new carbon dioxide to the leaves for photosynthesis.  Just make sure it's not going to cause stretched stems to snap!

Good luck, keep us posted! :ganja:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Edited by geokills (06/24/09 11:26 PM)

OfflineAudz

#242729 - 06/24/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

They're pretty stretchy, lowering the light will help a lot. But those little bottom leaves are called Cotlydon and they usually yellow and fall off a few weeks or so into their life. Miracle grow products aren't the best for Cannabis, so I'd invest in some quality soil for when you transplant them; it'll really make a difference. Is the second pic the droopy one? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's far too young to be running into major problems. Now that you have the light closer, you should probably avoid misting as the water droplets tend to magnify HID light to the point where damage can occur. Not sure if a 250w would be bright enough, but you never know.

You should go start a grow log in the journals section to keep us updated!

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: fan/light-distance/nutes [Re: geokills]
    #242776 - 06/25/09 03:00 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
The "initial leaf-like flaps" you're talking about are the cotyledons - an embryonic leaf in seed bearing plants - the first leaves of the seedling that appear to gather light, but do not exhibit the identifiable traits of the specific type of plant being grown.

Give them some time.  Unfortunately, it is not all that uncommon to experience seeds partially germinating or not germinating at all.  If the "little sister" doesn't make it, move on and focus on the remaining healthy plants.  Remember, all you need is one strong female from which you can take clones, for a very nice harvest!

As for misting... seedlings will not enjoy very dry surroundings, so it is a good idea to maintain a relative humidity of 70% or more.  You can mist them directly if you like, but make sure you don't let the soil get too wet from all of your misting.

On the light... I would not set young seedlings very close to an HID light.  You could even save some energy and use a compact florescent bulb for the first week of seedling growth, because frankly a germinated seed with only a couple cotyledons is not going to make use of the vast majority of the light produced from an HID.  You certainly can use an HID without problems; however I wouldn't recommend placing young seedlings closer than 12" from the light source to begin with, in order to reduce the potential for them to dry out or burn from intense light and/or heat.

Once the seedlings have a little bit of stock to them, and provided that you maintain reasonable temperatures and good air movement in your grow room to agitate the fan leaves, you can keep your light as close as 5 - 6" to the top growth of your plant without too much trouble.

If you used good soil, you shouldn't need to start feeding for a few weeks.  When you begin fertilizing, use half of the recommended strength until you are in tune to your plant's needs.  Fertilizers commonly list three numbers: N-P-K for Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium.  Plants in vegetative growth should be fed a fertilizer that has a slightly higher N component than P or K (example: 15-10-10).  When flowering, you should switch to a fertilizer that offers a higher P component (example: 10-15-10). 

Use a fan, it will help strengthen the plant's stem and provide fresh air exchange to cycle new carbon dioxide to the leaves for photosynthesis.  Just make sure it's not going to cause stretched stems to snap!

Good luck, keep us posted! :ganja:

Spectacular!  :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm glad you took the time to type all of that before I had a chance to do it!  Hah good work as usual Geo... :ganja:

I keep my plants 3-4 inches from my HID but I have a good breeze blowing across the tops and the light...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

Re: fan/light-distance/nutes [Re: Inverted]
    #242814 - 06/25/09 08:34 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, thank you all for your posts. I shall definitely keep all of your advice in mind. Woke up this morning and they all are looking much happier due IMO to the light being closer. The little sister still looks pissy but she's getting a lot of love and good music so hopefully she'll snap out of it. Oh and good news....one more sprout this morning!!!!

thanx again!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies