Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGordonGrower
Stranger
Spider Mites - Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves!
    #234087 - 05/29/09 10:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hello Growery!

So I swang by my local medicinal supplier here in California a few weeks ago and couldn't resist picking up some Hindu Skunk sativa dominant clones @ four for $20.  They were lookin' a little runtish, but four for $20, I figured what the hell why not?  Unfortunately, they've all developed some small clusters of pin-size yellow spots appearing throughout the leaves. 

Checked for bugs, that's not it.  I thought that perhaps this could  be a manganese deficiency, or a nutrient deficiency in general, as I had been feeding them exceptionally lightly during the three weeks since pickin' them up from the clinic, nursing them to health under a few CFL's and then putting them outside in the sun for progressively longer periods of time.  Four days ago, I transplanted to bigger pots with fresh potting soil, improved feeding, and kept them indoors under a 250w HPS at 20:4 light dark cycle, good air circulation... 80 - 90 degrees and 50 - 60% rH.

Any ideas what this could be?

Edited by GordonGrower (06/01/09 05:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: GordonGrower]
    #234100 - 05/29/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You want to keep your plants below 80 degrees unless you are co2 enriching, made this helpful chart out of Greg Green's Grow Bible.

Also, are you controlling the ph of your nutrients and water?

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: Integra21]
    #234254 - 05/30/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Report back with pH and a pic of the root ball. Determining if its a pH or pot size issue are the first things I look at now. It seems to be a theme.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineP.Menace
Potato Salad?
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: ethnoguy]
    #234309 - 05/30/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

looks like spider mite damage to me

--------------------
I grow more Shrooms!!!

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: P.Menace]
    #234325 - 05/30/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

What's up menace! Yeah possibly. OP- have you noticed how the leaves are turning up around the edges.......

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineGordonGrower
Stranger
Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: ethnoguy]
    #234988 - 06/01/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The mystery appears to have been solved.

While the transplant into larger pots with fresh potting soil and the improved nutrients has lead to rapid plant growth, I now see that indeed there are spider mites on the underside of the leaves with damage. pH stands at around 6.5 and as noted the quartet of foot-tall plants are still growing very strong.

I will begin research into determining the most effective way to remove the mite infestation, if anyone has any personal tips, I am all ears!

Next time, I'll be making sure to start from seed and keep these plants indoors from the beginning.

OfflineGordonGrower
Stranger
    #234990 - 06/01/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
OP- have you noticed how the leaves are turning up around the edges.......

Yes, what's up with that? 
It seems to be more apparent on the plants that are closer to the fan. 

Are they simply drying out?

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: GordonGrower]
    #235045 - 06/01/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Its usually a sign of nute deficiency. Your pH sounds good, so I doubt its nute lockout. Give them full feedings on a regular schedule.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineGordonGrower
Stranger
    #235133 - 06/01/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Can do.  I'm also looking to pick up some neem oil to fight the mites.  In the meanwhile, I have a dilute solution of cinnamon and clove oil that I've used on my outdoor strawberry patch.  Do you think this may be a solution for the indoor mites as well?  I may just give the plants a thorough washing and spray with the cinnamon and clove oil solution before trying the neem oil.

If anyone knows of a more / the most effective way of treating this spider mite problem - or if they believe that the cinnamon/clove oil mixture is a bad idea, please let me know!  Thanks!  Love the site by the way, you've all been a great help so far. :smile:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #235747 - 06/02/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, when your done using neem, cinnamon, clove, and all that fun stuff and wanna get rid of the problem try avid. Use it only on vegging plants and one dose will end your problem. :thumbup:

Neem and all the other organic stuff is just fine for controling the problem. Wanna get rid of it?  .... here ya go

http://www.growersupply.com/av8ozmi.html

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: Magash]
    #235873 - 06/03/09 08:42 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Shit magash. That is expensive lol.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #236830 - 06/06/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah it sure is but it will last the  rest of your life. 1/4 tsp per gallon of water.

The stuff doesn't circulate around the plant but it does stay where you sprayed it for 48 days. What that means is if you spray one leaf that one leaf will kill mites for 48 days. With outdoor gardens you may need multiple doses but not inside.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGordonGrower
Stranger
Re: Tiny Yellow Pin-Size Spots & Clusters of Spots on Hindu Skunk Leaves! [Re: Magash]
    #241664 - 06/21/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you everyone for the advice.  Magash, I appreciate your no-nonsense expertise!

I bit the bullet and picked up some Avid after I saw signs of the mites coming back about 10 days after washing and spraying with a soap/cinnamon/clove oil solution.  While the homeopathic solution did help knock down the spider mite population, they were still making a living on my plants and since I'm doing a screen of green, I can't easily clean them any longer, so I opted for this solution instead of culling the crop or smoking mite dust.

On the Avid, that stuff is pretty amazing.  I wasn't eager to use such a powerful chemical on the plant, but since I'm not in flowering and the buds will eventually be coming predominantly from new un-sprayed growth, I can live with it. 

I only used a couple of couple drops of Avid mixed into a gallon of water.  The instructions noted 4 oz / 100 gal for mite elimination, which equates to 1 mL / 108 oz.  Of that dilute solution, I only used about one cup on four plants and all the mites are dead as a doornail.  Impressive, though you can be sure I was donned out in a full breathing mask, long sleeves, pants, work boots, gloves and hat for the spraying.  That shit is scary, it comes with a booklet's worth of warnings!

But I'll tell you this much... it does work and work well.
Given how much I used, it'll last me ten LIFETIMES easy!!

Thanks again for the help.  The plants are looking nice and healthy now that the mites have been taken care of.  My screen is filling out and with only a 250 watt HPS, I wouldn't be surprised to harvest 4 - 6 oz from this tiny grow.

:smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale