Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWeedMan
Stranger
First Grow, couple questions!
    #225952 - 05/13/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first time growing, I ordered 17 seeds online, and plan on growing outdoors by my cottage in Canada. It looks like it's going to be 0 celsius on May 18th so I was planning on going on tuesday to plant the seeds.

I plan on setting up a little fence to keep away critters, and laying some hair around my sites.

My questions are:

1. What do you guys think is best, Plant the seeds right now in paper cups and keep an eye on them inside until tuesday when ill transplant them, or just plant them directly in the ground tuesday.

2. How long would the vegetative growth take to complete from seed to flowering stage on average given condtions were optimal? I know im starting a bit late in the season and my seeds all have flowering times of 8-9 weeks, and it starts to frost over here by the end of september. Just want to make sure Ill be good.

3. As for soil, I was thinking of mixing miracle grow with the original soil at my grow site and maybe adding some extra vermiculite just in case. How does that sound? I dont want anything too complicated and costly since its my first grow.

4. How many hours of sunlight a day would the seeds need to pop up throught the soil would 8 hrs a day be fine?

ok happy growing, thanks!

Edited by WeedMan (05/13/09 02:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: First Grow, couple questions! [Re: WeedMan]
    #225996 - 05/13/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

1.  you definitely want to germinate the seeds before putting them in the ground.  you will have a much better success rate doing this.

2.  this will depend on your location and when daylight reaches 12/12.  you won't have a problem with your plants reaching sexual maturity in time to flower, but you could possibly have problems with finishing flowering in time.  if the genetics of the plants lean more towards the indica variety, they will finish flowering quicker... if they lean towards sativa, you probably will not be able to get them to finish so far north.

3.  miracle grow is not the best choice, but it is better than nothing.  do you know what the soil is like at your location?  you would be better off buying some bagged compost or nice, rich topsoil.  dig some deep holes and fill them up.

4.  if you plant seedlings instead of seeds you won't need to worry about this.  you want the most amount of direct sunlight as possible though, as in, don't plant up against the north side of the cottage where they will be in the shade all day.  southern exposure will be vital for you.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: First Grow, couple questions! [Re: Yrat]
    #226432 - 05/14/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah Yrat... You pretty much said what I was thinking so listen to what he says, he knows what's going on.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinecannalover
Stranger

Re: First Grow, couple questions! [Re: WeedMan]
    #252395 - 07/21/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Germinate them first...get a paper towel get it wet to where its not dripping but to where its pretty damp.
place the seeds on the paper towel and fold it like a book so the seeds are covered. put that in a plastic bag and sprouts should pop out in a few days.

outdoor veg will take months, your plants will grow slow, and stretch quite a bit, depending on the genetics of the plant, but most likely you wont get a high yeild.

dont use miracle grow soil, and if you decide to use it anyway, get the organic mix with no fertilizer time release balls in it and mix in a good amount of perlite for water drainage and root aeration

you dont need to worry about light untill the seeds pop, keep the germinating seeds in a dark room temperature area.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies