Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

Loc: Illinois
New Grow
    #210350 - 03/30/09 08:47 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Ok, here is the situation.
I have 2 seeds.
I cant grow indoors.
I cant afford any nutrients and soil.
I have never grown anything in my life.
And I just started to paper towel germinate my first seed.

I think its kinda hopeless :frown:
But imma give it a try and see what happens!
Any pointers?
Advice?
Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."  ~Ken Kesey~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: New Grow [Re: AlmostDead]
    #210357 - 03/30/09 09:01 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

go outside, dig up some dirt, stick it in the oven at 350 and steralize it , then find some sorta of container, hell a 2 liter bottle will do( cut the top off) poke some holes in the bottom for drainage, put ur soil in, put ur plant seedling in, and give it light.  and dont forget to water., also check out this  http://www.growery.org/2796/Cannabis-growing-guide

--------------------

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

Re: New Grow [Re: bobby]
    #210358 - 03/30/09 09:09 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

If I put the dirt in the oven though, will it stink up the house?
I already read through that whole article. It helped a lot, but I would rather want to talk to someone who has more experience and has dealt with real situations. I'm not saying the article was useless, but why read articles when you have awesome people at the Growery to converse with? :laugh:

--------------------

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."  ~Ken Kesey~

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #210360 - 03/30/09 09:27 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

You do want to start in a small container OR rapid rooters which are really cheap. 
Insert the seed pointy end down, about twice the length of the seed deep, and make sure the soil/rapid rooter is moist all the way through.  Don't water until the medium dries.
From the rapid rooter (which is what I recommend) wait until the second set of true leaves form (don't count the cotyledons) and put the whole thing in a small pot (1L or so) with soil up to the first set of nodes (where the branches come out). Each time you water let it dry almost completely before watering again. You can judge this by the weight of the pot/soil as it will get lighter as it dries out.
Make sure it gets indirect or diffuse sun for as many hours of the day as possible and if it is outside make sure it is safe from animals.
If you get this far without killing your plants, post here again with pics.
We'll pick up where this leaves off.
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE look up composting techniques on the internet that don't involve a lot of animal excretions (less than 10%) and start a small compost pile on a tarp somewhere outside, this will be your free soil complete with nutrients.  Try to get some earthworms from a bait shop or from the ground for that matter and put those in your compost pile too.
If you don't want to put the effort into it to start a compost pile then you're SOL.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Edited by 81renaissance (03/30/09 09:34 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Grow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #210361 - 03/30/09 09:30 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

P.S. that seed might turn out to be a male, so be ready to germ that second seed, but don't do it yet.  If the first one is male, you'll get a second shot, and your compost will be better if you give it more time to degrade.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210362 - 03/30/09 09:37 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I can get compost, but how and when will I be able to tell if the first seed is a male or not?

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #210367 - 03/30/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Not until it shows preflowers which will be several weeks.
That's good though, it gives you time to READ more.
I did over a year's worth of research before I planted my first seeds, overkill? Maybe.  But I yielded over a 1/4 lb. per plant.
Keep browsing and studying everything you can about the plant, and that knowledge will reward you.
I got you started because you already germ'd a seed, and I don't want that to be a waste, but you've got to do some of the work yourself.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210382 - 03/30/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I have done a lot of research, I guess I am just scared of failing :\
Well, I went out and bought a bag of soil and borrowed some fertilizer from a friend. So that should help a little.

Ah!
Im excited!

Thanks a lot!
I will post pictures as soon as possible.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #210384 - 03/30/09 12:10 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

What kind of soil, what kind of fertilizer?...Wrong soil/fert=dead cannabis.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210387 - 03/30/09 12:44 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

It's Sta-Green 16-Quart Moisture Max Potting Soil with Fertilizer.

--------------------

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
    #210390 - 03/30/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

AlmostDead said:
Ok, here is the situation.
I have 2 seeds.
I cant grow indoors.
I cant afford any nutrients and soil.
I have never grown anything in my life.
And I just started to paper towel germinate my first seed.

I think its kinda hopeless :frown:
But imma give it a try and see what happens!
Any pointers?
Advice?
Any help would be appreciated.

now u can afford soil? if i knew that i'd told u the same damn thing.

--------------------

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

Re: New Grow [Re: bobby]
    #210395 - 03/30/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I had a friend down the street give me what he had XD
I actually still cant afford soil.
I found 2000 pesos on the ground yesterday though, and I cant find a place that will give exchange me.

--------------------

Edited by AlmostDead (03/30/09 01:18 PM)

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210406 - 03/30/09 02:05 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I just realized that 2000 pesos is about 150 dollars!
Yay!
Weed money! :vaped:

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #210417 - 03/30/09 02:35 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Don't use that soil for your seedlings...its too hot and also it will retain too much water: cannabis likes to breathe A LOT which is why you need to let your mediums dry between watering.  You could probably use it if you cut it to 50% soil 50% perlite for aeration.
The soil might be useful for your flowering containers, but it isn't very nutrient rich at all, so you would have to ammend it with other things (blood meal, epsom salts, etc.) to get any kind of yield. 
If you have access to compost like you said you do, that will be FAR superior, especially if you get some worms in there with it to start enriching the soil. It would also be organic so your end product would be healthier and tastier.

IN SHORT: Give back the soil...use your compost and save that $150 for soil ammendments that you'll need down the road...using that for weed money is short sighted!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210423 - 03/30/09 02:44 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I actually cant find a bank that will do foreign money exchange. :frown:
I was going to use some of that money to buy some supplies that are needed. What soil do you reccomenend?
Preferably something I could pick up at the local department store.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #210463 - 03/30/09 03:51 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will work and is available at most nurseries/garden stores.
You'll still need perlite, and a soil that isn't treated with fertilizer for the seedlings.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAlmostDead
Merry Prankster
Male

#210616 - 03/31/09 08:00 AM (15 years, 21 hours ago)

Ok, so I went out and got my 150 dollars and bought some rapid rooters and some potting soil. Well, I started germinating my first seed yesterday at about 8:30 A.M. ish. Well, I read that it normally takes up to 12 hours for a seed to germ so I checked up on it at 9:30 P.M. last night and it looked the same, so I threw it back into my closet and decided it should germ over night. Well I woke up and checked it again, and it looks the same :confused:
I went out last night though and got some more seeds from a friend who actually collects his seeds. I have about 22 seeds I can use now.

--------------------

Offlinecubie

#211823 - 04/03/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

alright man, heres something cheap and easy for you. it what i did at first.

fuck germ'in a seed. its a waste of time. Get one of those red beer cups and fill it half way with good soil, get it about nice and moist like you would water anyother plant preferably with rain water.
Toss about 10 seeds in there and set it in a lighted area, it does not have to be alot of light just enough so they know to grow UP.
after a few days youll have alot of growth. GENTLY dump them onto a paper towel and get get the best looking sprouts (how many every you want to grow, probably a few since you dont know the gender)
take each sprout and recup into its own beer cup. (i always put a hole or 2 in the bottom)

okay now your ready to prepare the outside grow site (make sure you picked a safe area!) i first dig holes about 3-4 feet deep replace the soil with good store bought soil for best results. i add some time release fertilizer at the bottom so it wont burn the plant while its 2 young.

You should wait as long as you possibly can before putting the plants outside, i like to have atlest 3 shoots before i do it but im not sure what your living situation is and if you can have the plants around for a week or 2.

when you plant them bury then about an inch before the first shoot.

check on them once a week or more if theres no rain and also make one of those upside down pop bottle thingys.

GOODLUCK

any more questions? just ask

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds