Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineicanfeeltherain
Newb Mycologist
Male

a flowering closet, LOTS of good ??? plz help!
    #208703 - 03/25/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

My friend would like to make a flowering closet approx. 3'x2'x5', and construct a vegging box to sit atop such closet.  Odor is of utmost concern, since he lives on the second floor of an apartment building.  Here's the plan...

The assumption is that vegging plants don't carry much odor, so the veg box will simply be a sealed wooden? box (any ideas on constructing a good veg box will be warmly welcomed).  And please inform me otherwise if vegging plants do have a noticeable odor.

For the flowering closet my buddy thinks that for a small set up of only 6sq. feet, a free standing utility cabinet with a 250w HPS and four to six plants (depending on growing style) will suffice his personal needs.  The plants will be grown in quality soil.

As for the odor...
From everything that Adam has read on the growery, smell, as well as heat can be regulated using an air exhaust system that pulls air out of the flowering chamber, over the HPS bulb, through a DIY carbon scrubber, and finally to the outside.  He would prefer his setup be in the corner of his bedroom, right beside a window that looks out onto the second floor balcony.  He is unsure whether expelling air to the outdoors is necessary to rid his apartment of smell if using a DIY carbon scrubber (this bit is important, because creating ventilation to the outdoors would essentially be easy, but he wishes to avoid this if at all possible while still keeping his room smelling fresh).  On the other hand, if air must be expelled to the outdoors it will be vented directly through the wall and onto the second floor balcony - will neighbors upstairs or downstairs (or in the parking lot) get a hint of what lingers in the air?  The only other possibility I can imagine would be him venting air into the space between the drywall and external wall, possibly a better solution for air exhaust that has already been scrubbed?

Lastly, he needs some ideas and advice on constructing his flowering box to be most efficient at nursing the plants and controlling air flow.  I believe he plans to purchase a piece of furniture, like a wardrobe, from a big box store like walmart or lowes - if he cannot find an appropriate piece second-hand.  This cabinet will probably have double doors and a locking mechanism, but alterations will need to be made.  He plans to use white on top of black spray paint to create a reflective interior, or mylar if it is preferred.  The back will be reinforced with a more solid wood.  A small fan(s) for air circulation  will be mounted inside.  Will he need to seal off any of the edges on the inside walls to control odor or will this only impede air circulation?  Will he be better off creating a "tent" inside the cabinet, with a draping material, or will the cabinet itself house the plants effectively?  Any other advice about modifying the cabinet in regards to odor or light-proofing will be immensely appreciated as I will indulge myself in your experience and pass the knowledge on down the line!

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Yes, Cuban B."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehamandcheese
 User Gallery
Re: a flowering closet, LOTS of good ??? plz help! [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #208743 - 03/25/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i don't shit about indoor grows but....

remove names!!!!!!

and never expel exhaust into the space between interior and exterior.

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: a flowering closet, LOTS of good ??? plz help! [Re: hamandcheese]
    #208765 - 03/25/09 02:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

vegging plants most definitely do have a distinct odor, and you will need to control it.

Offlineicanfeeltherain
Newb Mycologist
Male

Re: a flowering closet, LOTS of good ??? plz help! [Re: hamandcheese]
    #208966 - 03/25/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Fake name, fake soap company :smile:

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Yes, Cuban B."

OfflineMr HugeBlunts
Re: a flowering closet, LOTS of good ??? plz help! [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #210234 - 03/29/09 11:21 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

1. You need fresh air; whether or not you vent to the outside, outside air needs to be brought inside.

2. In a 6' high cabinet you could take the top 2' and make a chamber for veg. I would prefer to do this on the bottom instead. The heat from a HID bulb is significant and heat rises.

3. I would suggest a 400w HPS for more than 4 plants, or even more than 2 plants if you want to have optimum light.

4. Overcompensate for odor, these things stink. Carbon scrubber will work, just get a big motherfucker.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates