Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePremedman
Shroomery's official assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive?
    #202747 - 03/03/09 10:46 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

I recently visited an old friend's farm to collect some of his livestock manure for my compost pile.

This guy grows some amazing outdoor cannabis, and has been doing so longer than I've been alive, so I asked him for any tips that might help me with my crop. He said he always adds some dust from what's shaved off a vehicle's brake rotors when they are turned to his compost pile.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this, or even might know what the shavings would provide the plant. I've got another batch of clones that will be ready in a couple of weeks, and I was thinking of giving it a try with one of my outdoor plots. I know this is a long shot, but his results are tough to argue with.

Thanks guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: Premedman]
    #202767 - 03/03/09 11:27 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

No idea but I wouldn't want that shit in my soil...Break rotor/pad dust with dried on fluid...I don't know it's just me. He may just have a green thumb?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: mhbound]
    #202806 - 03/04/09 05:51 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

i had to look this up.  apparently 90% of brake rotors are cast iron, so adding the shavings to the compost will boost up it's iron content. 

:shrug:  don't know if i would do it, but you say he knows what he's doing.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinedieselkush

Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: Yrat]
    #202826 - 03/04/09 08:41 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

can you clean them maybe? if there not hole and dust you could still but that stuff in a cloth of somthing and wash that shit up. or get new and grind em down for the dust.

InvisiblePremedman
 User Gallery

Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: dieselkush]
    #202837 - 03/04/09 09:30 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
No idea but I wouldn't want that shit in my soil...Break rotor/pad dust with dried on fluid...I don't know it's just me. He may just have a green thumb?

I don't know what fluids you're referring to. A properly working brake system is a closed system with fluid going to the calipers, not the rotor itself. :shrug:

Quote:

Yrat said:
i had to look this up.  apparently 90% of brake rotors are cast iron, so adding the shavings to the compost will boost up it's iron content. 

:shrug:  don't know if i would do it, but you say he knows what he's doing.

Thanks for the info. I dug a little deeper and found that rotors are probably ductile cast iron, which like you said, is composed of mainly iron, with trace elements in these percentages: C 3.4%, P 0.1%, Mn 0.4%, Ni 1.0%, Mg 0.06%.

Quote:

dieselkush said:
can you clean them maybe? if there not hole and dust you could still but that stuff in a cloth of somthing and wash that shit up. or get new and grind em down for the dust.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I asked the boys at my local AutoZone if I could have some of the rotor dust from their machine, and they were happy to give it to me. I'm going to try some sparingly in a few of my plants soil mix.

Thanks for the help friends, you're always very helpful.:thumbup:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #202868 - 03/04/09 11:07 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Early brake pads (and linings) contained asbestos. When working on an older car's brakes, care must be taken not to inhale any dust present on the caliper (or drum). Although newer pads can be made of exotic materials like ceramics, kevlar and other plastics, care to avoid inhalation of brake dust produced during operation should still be practiced no matter what materials are employed.

~Wikipedia

I have always been told to stay away from old brake pads because of asbestos hazards. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't let that shit within a mile of my organic gold.

But as always, I encourage you to test it out and report back the results!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #202879 - 03/04/09 12:21 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

This is true, but I mean the odds of yours not leaking a little are quite low. The pressure coming out of the calipers is fucking extremely high. I don't know if it's enough to affect anything or not but I'm not finding out.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinedieselkush

#202947 - 03/04/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

lol, i came back and red what i typed and it was all fucked up. anyways I was just saying couldnt you clean the oil/whatever fluids are in it. so if it was dust you could stick that stuff in a cloth and cleanse it, or if it is whole, clean it and make your own shavings.

Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #203006 - 03/04/09 04:27 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I'd find a cleaner source for cast iron; who knows what the rotors absorbed from the road and exhaust fumes.

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: trichome]
    #203134 - 03/04/09 08:43 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

hard up for iron!:crazy2: any guesses on how long we'd wait before it was available to the plants?

--------------------
CALIFORNIA PROP 215 MEDICINAL CANNABIS PATIENT!!!

InvisiblePremedman
 User Gallery

Re: Vehicle Rotor Dust Additive? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #203384 - 03/05/09 03:34 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Quote:

Early brake pads (and linings) contained asbestos. When working on an older car's brakes, care must be taken not to inhale any dust present on the caliper (or drum). Although newer pads can be made of exotic materials like ceramics, kevlar and other plastics, care to avoid inhalation of brake dust produced during operation should still be practiced no matter what materials are employed.

~Wikipedia

I have always been told to stay away from old brake pads because of asbestos hazards. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't let that shit within a mile of my organic gold.

But as always, I encourage you to test it out and report back the results!

You're the man, Dr. P. :grin:

I'm not really attempting this with brake PADS, which have been known to contain asbestos, but brake ROTOR shavings, which don't contain asbestos. I figure anything interesting and new like this is worth a shot, whether it works or not. I've learned more from my mycological ventures through mistakes and failures than by my successes.

Thanks to all, and I'll be sure to report back my results.:thumbup:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #203569 - 03/06/09 01:55 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Brake dust? Seen it all now.

The plants get more then they need from the soil they are in.

It's very easy to creat toxic conditions with iron in the soil when it pretty much isn't needed.

Last if your looking to increase iron in the soil (not needed) there are way better ways to do it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds