Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepeterpan

are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing?
    #195952 - 02/14/09 04:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i found fluorescent 2700 k lights near here. are suitable for flowering?

exists 2000 k cheap fluorescent lights?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilomind2

Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: peterpan]
    #196048 - 02/14/09 06:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes they will work but not as effective as 5000-6000K lamps. The lower the K rating the more far red and infra red light spectrum is emmited, this is not what a plant needs for foliage growth and flowering. Since flowering and leaves rely on BLUE spectrum mainly as well as green, consumer grade "cool whites" are used. Commercial lamps like whats found in signs, are "day lights" and can be bought at most sign shops as well as the sockets and ballasts. Sign bulbs are brightest and last longest and are generaly cheaper than store bought lamps. Sign bulbs can be bought as standard, High output (HO), or very high output (VHO).

The VHO's are the brightest you can buy and have proven extremely effective for all sorts of plants.

Hope that helps.

If you want to stay with standard store bought lamps, I use GE ECOLUX CHROMA 50's in 48". These are cool whites that have high amounts of blue and green for optimal flowering and foliage growth.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: Psilomind2]
    #196329 - 02/15/09 07:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The flouros you have will work fine for all stages of growth. Mixing them with cooler spectrum fluorescents would be beneficial but not required.

Actually psilomind, you are a bit mixed up. Plants rely on the blue and red areas of the visible spectrum and very little, if at all, on the green portion; evidenced in this graph:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #196335 - 02/15/09 07:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

indeed. the reason plants appear green is because they actually reflect most of the waves from the green spectrum rather than absorbing it.

--------------------

OfflineSmoke
Cannibality

Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #196348 - 02/15/09 08:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The Doc has spoke...

--------------------
]the technical name for using one's finger to extract boogers is rhinotillexis[/b

OfflinePsilomind2

Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: Smoke]
    #196477 - 02/16/09 12:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, no, was'nt mixed up at all. It just so happens that a high K bulb not only has higher amounts of blue but also green. Red and far red light produces more stem growth. Green through UV produces more foliage growth. And thats what you want when growing plants...especially weed.;)

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/grow-bulbs-metal-halide-c-375.html

However, when it comes to the flowering stage, then adding a HPS, or a lower K light that has higher orange light will excell your flowers into nice buds.

Edited by Psilomind2 (02/16/09 12:32 AM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #196545 - 02/16/09 06:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I thought I had explained and proven it well enough up top but I guess not...

like harry said:

Quote:

Chlorophyll looks green because it absorbs red and blue light, making these colors unavailable to be seen by our eyes. It is the green light which is NOT absorbed that finally reaches our eyes, making chlorophyll appear green. However, it is the energy from the red and blue light that are absorbed that is, thereby, able to be used to do photosynthesis. The green light we can see is not/cannot be absorbed by the plant, and thus cannot be used to do photosynthesis.

Quote:

foliage growth. And thats what you want when growing plants...especially weed.

I don't know about you but I smoke buds not leaves...

Quote:

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/grow-bulbs-metal-halide-c-375.html

Why did you point me to a random metal halide page? Is this supposed to prove green light is utilized by plants?

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflinePsilomind2

Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #196562 - 02/16/09 09:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Look  if you insist on calling me out so be it, but get your FACTS straight as well bud.

I did not intend to say that plants need green light, just that certain bulbs produce more green light. Something you can't avoid if using a high K bulb. Does'nt meen that the added green light will harm anything, it's just there, and as you move out of the green into blue, the light becomes more effective for initial healthy and strong root and foliage growth. When it's time to start the flowering cycle, switch to a lamp that has higher orange light and less blue since the orange will promote faster healthy flowers or buds.

PERIOD

P.S. BTW the link was'nt for you, since you know it all, it would be a waste of your time as you indicated. That place is great for lamp selection and they give the detailed spectrum of each lamp in a nice colorized graph like the one you provided above. I prefer the MH flavor of bulbs because you can have anywhere from 3000K to 7200K depending on which bulb you choose. They are grow bulbs, not your everyday commercial area lighting bulbs and are designed specifically for growing. Check them out and see. Especially the Solar Max line. My personal favorite, I have been using the same 400 watter for 5 years, it's a wide spectrum, has the blue and the orange for all phases of growth.

Edited by Psilomind2 (02/16/09 10:12 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #196612 - 02/16/09 12:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psilomind2 said:
Green through UV produces more foliage growth. And thats what you want when growing plants...especially weed.;)

I'm sorry buddy, but you're very mixed up on your wavelength knowledge. there is no such thing as "green through UV" because they're completely different portions of the spectrum.
The light we can see in visible colors starts at about ~.75 micrometers in wavelength as red. as you shorten your wavelength you run into green (~.55uM) and then eventually blue and violet at .4uM, the shortest wavelength in the spectrum that our eyes can interpret as color.

if you KEEP shortening the wavelengths even further you get into what is called "ultraviolet," thus named because it's wavelength is so high energy (short wavelength) that it is actually beyond the visible spectrum into invisible light. keep going in that direction and you run into X-rays and then eventually gamma rays.

This is why it's absolutely not correct to say "green through UV" because you're literally saying that we need a light to perform in two spectrums at the exact same time (.5uM and .05uM simultaneously) which is a physical impossibility.

--------------------

OfflinePsilomind2

#196633 - 02/16/09 03:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, I was "literaly" saying that high K lamps have a higher amount of green/blue, does'nt mean that green is usefull particularly, it just so happens that you can't get away from it. The yellow/orange light promotes healthier and faster flowering while light blue to dark blue waves promote healthier roots and folliage during the critical early stages of growth. A combination of both is best. But if one were to want to focuse more on each stage they could.

Wide spectrum Metal Halides have both, all the nec. wavelengths for optimal photosynthesis. Using cool whites with daylights in flouro flavor is also best.

Trying to keep it simple and easy to understand, hope this helps.

A lot of people just want to know what is the best that they can get and get to growing...if they want all the fancy shmancy tech data, they would ask for that or..I would give them the benefit of a doubt that they would look it up. Tons of info on the net that delves deeper than you have and free.

Happy Growing, and good luck!!

Offlinesnufkin
Male
    #196850 - 02/17/09 05:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Psilomind2 said:
Green through UV produces more foliage growth. And thats what you want when growing plants...especially weed.;)

I'm sorry buddy, but you're very mixed up on your wavelength knowledge. there is no such thing as "green through UV" because they're completely different portions of the spectrum.
[...]
This is why it's absolutely not correct to say "green through UV" because you're literally saying that we need a light to perform in two spectrums at the exact same time (.5uM and .05uM simultaneously) which is a physical impossibility.

The blue "daylight" light lies between green through UV. Yes they're different portions of the spectrum, but he means all which lies between them.

To answer the thread starter: I would mix 6500K "daylight" bulbs and 2700K "warm white" bulbs to replicate the light that it would receive if it were outside.

--------------------
Grows: 1 2

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are 2700 k lights suitable for floweing? [Re: snufkin]
    #196855 - 02/17/09 07:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ohh hmmm I see.... I misinterpreted his phraseology.

yes that's right.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds