Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJSweed

grow box location
    #194830 - 02/11/09 06:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well I have two choices.  build a folding board setup to block off a back bedroom which is next to the only bathroom in the house.  I live alone but people come over sometimes.

Or in the basement.  The basement has a door that sits at a 30 degree angle and opens up to a set of stairs.  In the first room of the basement is a bunch of general myco stuff in storage.  The second room consists of the washer and dryer for the house and a small window that would serve to vent outside via charcoal filter or some other method.

In the summer time I leave the basement door open as the humidity levels in the basement are high, like 90rh which is common where I am from in the midwest usa.  It keeps the basement from smelling like mildew. 

Putting the grow in the basement would be safer as far as people are concerned that come over but smells etc would be harder to control as far as the neighbors are concerned.  Also heating and cooling would be an issue.  It is currently running on mother nature. 

Also when it rains if the door is not shut it gets some water down there and leaving the door open is pretty much a must to get it to evaporate.

looking at 1000w hps on say a 4x4 or 3x5 box.  whichever one makes best use of my light.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: grow box location [Re: JSweed]
    #195051 - 02/12/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

if you use a 1000 watt light in a 4x4 box you're most likely going to need to add a window or portable AC unit to the room.  It is possible to do, but the heat that gets generated from that type of lamp is insane for that small of a space.

Your basement sounds like a better bet, but, keep in mind high RH levels will almost always lead to powdery mildew.  If you've never dealt with it before you'll quickly find out why it sucks.  It's impossible to get rid of and can ruin your buds/grows pretty quickly.  The AC unit in an enclosed space will help keep the RH down since that is how they operate, they pull the moisture from the air to cool it and out put the moisture in the back of the unit.

IMO anything that puts you at more risk is a bad choice (IE growing upstairs near a bathroom that people may use).  HID lights are pretty easily identifiable and the sounds from your exhaust system aren't exactly whisper quiet.  So you may be better off placing your grow in a location that receives less traffic and is easier to mask smell/noise/light.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineJSweed

Re: grow box location [Re: coda]
    #195056 - 02/12/09 09:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ill take some photos of the basement area and post window size and you can see the conditions etc.  the window is too small for an ac unit and the unit would practically be sitting on the ground.  it would have to be a separate unit with a vent hose to the window.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds