Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

grow room advice
    #163523 - 12/16/08 02:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I posted a little while back with some vague plans to build a grow room in a section that I would close off from the rest of an attic (schematic below), but didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do yet.  I've thought about it more and decided to invest in a 600W HPS  (maybe something like this?  Advice welcome!).  I'm thinking nine plants in individual soil pots for the first attempt, probably moving on to a small ebb & flow system the next time around.  I plan to vent through a carbon scrubber into another section of the attic.

Please feel free to offer any advice/criticism that comes to mind, including a better lighting option, nutrient advice, ventilation, and any way to save money throughout.  Thanks for any help in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: grow room advice [Re: God]
    #163564 - 12/16/08 07:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I am anti-attic for a number of reasons.
-Is the roof insulated? If you live in a warm area, heat will be an issue. If you live in a cold area, snow melting off one portion of a roof is a dead giveaway to LEO.
-How will you get water up to the plants? 3-4 walks up the stairs with a 5-gal pail is a lot of work.
-How will you deal with runoff? Waste water can be a huge problem, especially if it leaks.
-How will you maneuver in such a small space? Plants 3'-4' tall will be almost that wide leaving 2' or 3' at most to walk/crawl in. Crawling with pails of water is even more fun than stairs.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#163566 - 12/16/08 07:59 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Speaking from personal experience, attic growing sucks!  For all of the above listed reasons (Penguin man is dead on), try to find another area, or make massive before-grow preparations.

Check out my thread - I started with hopes of an attic grow, then after two months, realized it is just too much work.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: grow room advice [Re: lopan]
    #163576 - 12/16/08 08:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Much more of a fire hazard up there with all of the insulation etc.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: grow room advice [Re: mhbound]
    #164074 - 12/16/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

All of you bring up important points, I'll try to address them as best I can.

Dr.,
I'd prefer not to grow in the attic, but alas, it is the only location I have available: this particular section is only accessible to my particular portion of Heaven, and neither Jesus nor any of the angels are to know of my activities.
I do live in a particularly warm area, being this close to the sun, but I plan to start things off this winter (germinating seeds today-ish), which should allow for perfect temperatures (with a light and proper ventilation) in my attic.  It is extremely unlikely that it will snow in any substantial amount this winter.  In fact, since I do do that whole weather thing (hey, it's all I have left, after Jesus took over most of the "connecting directly with the people" department), I feel mostly secure on the temperature regulation issue.  If things somehow get out of control, I can get a heater in there if it gets too cold, and I can pull in more cold outside air if it gets too warm.
As far as carrying water goes, I thankfully live on the same level as the attic, with the grow area no more than ten meters from the sink.
Runoff water can be collected in a (washing machine?) tray beneath the bench I'll have everything up on, and I can siphon that back to the kitchen.
No crawling should be required, even if I do use a bucket, since there's enough room to walk around in there (albeit a bit stooped some of the time).  However, I will probably set up some sort of siphon system for simplicity's sake (I'm glad I invented physics).  I may not be able to fit nine whole plants, though...I think I got a little excited.  Five seems like a more reasonable maximum.

lopan, I had actually previously read your post before posting my own.  I recall it being very ambitious, and I'd encourage you to not give up on it; I'd love to watch a great cycle grow thread.  Maybe save up money and gradually work on parts of the room until it's ready?  That's what I've been doing.

mhbound, as far as fire hazard goes, my attic is (unfortunately) uninsulated.  However, I plan to rectify this very soon, at least for the portion I'll be growing in.  The insulation will be sandwiched between the outside wall/roof/floor and the new walls and floor I plan to build with plywood.  I think that, with proper ventilation, it will be no more hazardous than the average closet grow.

I'd specifically like to know if anyone thinks that this light system would be cost effective, or if anyone has any other light suggestions.  Does anyone have experience buying HPS lights from ebay?
Also, does anyone have any suggestions for what sort of fan to use to move the ~300ft3 of air across my light, through a carbon scrubber, and into another section of the attic/outside?  I considered an inline ducting fan, but they're pretty expensive.  I figure I can replace the air every couple of minutes with a relatively cheap squirrel cage blower as an intake fan and another as an output.  What do you think?

Thanks for reading through this longish post,
God

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #164227 - 12/16/08 08:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's actually probably good as far as heat goes...Unless of course you live somewhere that it get's really cold.

Just be sure to have everything wired properly, and have some good ass ventilation...You would be fine. Of course it isn't the best place, but if that's all you have to work with then that's what you have to work with.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: grow room advice [Re: mhbound]
    #164702 - 12/17/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
if that's all you have to work with then that's what you have to work with.

Tru dat, unfortunately.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Re: grow room advice (moved) [Re: God]
    #283430 - 09/20/09 06:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This thread was moved from Marijuana Cultivation.

Reason:
Populating the new Grow Room Design forum.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck