Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineditc
dust, animal hair, etc.. and a seedling question
    #133937 - 10/18/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

my girl and i are using a closet in our room - 4x4x6 or so, with 4 bubble buckets under a scrog. 400 watt MH for veg and 400 watt HPS for flowering. right now we're just nurturing our seedlings and we're at about one week.

i cleaned the room and the closet out real well (swept, vacuum, etc) and we keep the room nice and tidy. temp and humidity aren't a problem, but with the fans running there is definitely obvious dust particles swarming around in the closet. at this point it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, but i imagine that stuff like dust and flying cat hair would stick to flowering buds? can't be good.

so, we have to leave the door open because of how everything is setup.. any idea's about how to control dust? the fans in the room create a good airflow but i just don't know what to do about the dust.

also, a question about seedlings. we spent about a month trying to find clones for our hydro setup and we have came close, but no one can "right now".. so we germinated some seeds and put them in soil. we're at about a week now, and the seedlings are 1" to 2" tall, they each have two big cannabis like leaves and then the two of those baby leaves a little further down. they also all have 2 more little leaves coming out the top. they look wonderful but a few of the taller ones don't stand up quite straight.. they just have a slight arc towards the top. they seem fine to me, but i wanted to make sure that it doesn't mean they need water or light or something.. or too much of something, etc. they have pretty sturdy fuzzy purple stems and nice light green healthy looking leaves.. i think they're ok.

about going from soil to hydro..

we're either going to get a good female going in soil and clone it for our buckets, or try taking the seedlings right before they veg and cleaning the roots off and putting them in the buckets.. the latter sounds crazy and probably has a low success rate, but we figure we can try it with a couple and just use soil for the others just incase the buckets fail.

comments and ideas about all this shiiiit would be dope.

pecae

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: dust, animal hair, etc.. and a seedling question [Re: ditc]
    #133968 - 10/18/08 03:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

About the dust: Do you have an active exhaust system or is it just a fan in the closet mixing air from the room? In the active exhaust case, if the house is yours (not rented), I would drill a hole 2" in diameter larger than the exhaust hole in the door, and cover it with a 'cut to fit' furnace filter. I use the same setup on the intake for my cab and it works great. Also, if you are just leaving the door open, make sure you have a plan for when flowering comes in order to provide pure darkness with no light leaks which can cause Hermaphroditic tendencies.

About seedlings: A slight arc should be nothing to worry about, probably a display of phototrophism (plants growing towards light). If they start to get any taller you will have to think about strengthening the stems by adding a fan blowing lightly on them or by staking them up. You can fix this permanently when you transplant by burying the stems in soil up to the cotyledons (seed leaves).

About going from soil to hydro: I can't recommend directly going from soil to hydro by rinsing off the roots for three reasons; you will stress the plant a great deal, you risk clogging your pump, and you are inviting bacteria/fungi to live in the perpetually moist soil still adhering to the roots. Ideally you will veg the mothers until they show sex then clone them into your buckets for a short veg and flower. If that is not possible, ask, and we may be able to come up with a solution.

Good luck with your babies!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlineditc
Re: dust, animal hair, etc.. and a seedling question [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #133991 - 10/18/08 03:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

thank you for the detailed reply.

the dust - right now we have a pretty powerful fan moving cooler air into the closet while another fan near the top of the closet closer to light is blowing air out. neither of them of any sort of filter on them, just normal fans. about reaching complete darkness in the closet while maintaining temp, etc - we are hoping to be moving out of the room by the time the plants are flowering so we can completely light proof the room. we then want to turn the closet into a home for clone mothers (with the door closed and good ventilations) while the rest of the room can be used for flowering plants. if that cant happen, we'll have to set up the door with a good intake/extake and lightproof it.

about the seedlings - they're about 9 inches from a 400 watt MH. do you think they should be any closer to avoid stretching? maybe too close? i'm not really sure.

going from soil to hydro - makes perfect sense.. it's a pretty silly idea to even attempt moving from soil to hydro..

so i have 8 seedlings that are a week old and seem pretty healthy... when we transplant them, we may only have room for 4 bigger pots in the closet.. so pick the healthiest looking four and hope they're female? then pick the best female before flowering and clone her for the buckets? seems to make sense and should only add about a month or so to the grow right? this could work really well if we have the means to keep a clone mother or whatever so we can use one set of genetics to practice on.. then  move on to better genetics

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #133999 - 10/18/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

dust- you can still attach a furnace filter to the fan that is blowing into the closet, they are relatively cheap and thin. That may eliminate most of the dust. Moving into the bigger room will be most appreciated by your plants I'm sure.

seedlings- Hold your hand palm down at the same level as your seedlings; if it gets warm they are too close, if not, move up slowly and find the spot where the light gently warms your hand and position the plants a little under that level.

Actually there is an even easier way to show sex. If you have a couple compact florescent light bulbs around, you can take clones from all 8 plants and put them in a cup of water. Set the lights to be on 10 hours and off 14 hours, the clones should develop flowers within 1-2 weeks. That way you can cull the males before you transplant if need be.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineditc
Re: dust, animal hair, etc.. and a seedling question [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #134002 - 10/18/08 04:09 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

so, holding my hand right above the seedlings my hand definitely gets warmer, but its not hot or uncomfortable. maybe i should move them down a bit if i am feeling a pretty nice warmth from the light?

about the early sexing, thank you! i had heard about doing this but i had no idea it was that simple.

so we'll take 8 seedlings, move them to slightly bigger pots when we need to so we can still fit all 8 in the closet. once we can take clones from them, we do that and do the early sexing thing. get rid of the male, then transplant to the final buckets? right before flowering take 4 clones from the best looking one? definitely gonna try and finish out the soil plants as well, instead of just getting rid of them, but i'll have to find a space to veg the clones in my buckets.

once again, thanks a lot.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #134004 - 10/18/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

No problem.

You are using your MH currently correct? I would move it up a smidgen but I'm generally overcautious with my seedlings. :rolleyes:

That all sounds about right. Good luck.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom