Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChapter 4

Wild type Cannabis?
    #116725 - 09/01/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Are there anyways to get pure 100% sativa or indica, or even wild collected seeds?  i realize they will not be as potent, but it just feels good to grow seeds from the wild (any plant).

is this possible nowadays?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wild type Cannabis? [Re: Chapter 4]
    #116771 - 09/01/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, it is possible. :smile: These kind of strains are called land-race varieties. The best way to obtain seeds from these land-races would be to buy some plane tickets to Southeast Asia or similar locations and go hunting, which is something some breeders will do. They will require a lot of special care and everything because they aren't really acclimatized for indoors and they'll be sensitive to things like nutrients, light levels, and etc., probably need some training to keep them manageable, and will probably have longer flowering times than usual. 

World Of Seeds (you can find them on Dr. Chronic or Seedsman, the latter having more of their stuff) claims that most of their strains are pure land-races, and they are really cheap too, so that's probably your best bet. If you have a little more money to spend, you could go with a sure-fire, real deal and head over to Seedbay and check out Gypsy Nirvana's stuff. He's got a land-race from Laos and one from Thailand listed right now, the seeds from which he's collected himself while exploring around the region. Here's the descriptions:

Quote:

Luang Prabang Lao Sativa
During a recent excursion to the east we have been lucky enough to meet with the local population of Laos and the surrounding areas. This has given us access to some of the more �untainted� strains the world has to offer.

�Luang Prabang� is a city in Northern Laos which lends it�s name to these seeds. Graced beautifully by the Mekhong river this area has had the benefit of not receiving much influence from the western markets while still providing a rich and fertile area for it�s indigenous strains. This has allowed the local strains to remain in their original states and therefore represents a rare and indulgent window into the past. Some of the strains in this area have been grown without outside influence for many years. We have recently sourced a batch of these seeds from a respected local farmer and are now proud to offer these to you as one of the many land race strains we will be providing in the future.

Being a landrace strain there are obviously a few points to be considered. These seeds are not stabilised in the same way many of the western bred seeds are and as a result they retain their original beauty and traits. This also presents a very intriguing challenge to the grower. These seeds may express latent traits, they will be grown away from their native environment and offer an excellent insight into �historic growing�. For this reason we do NOT recommend that novice growers attempt these, they are a challenge to grow well and many changes may be needed to see them reach their full native potential. If you�re a serious grower looking for a challenging strain, an old school grower who remembers fondly the Thai/Laos/Cambodia based strains of the past or are a breeder looking for original strains then these may be exactly what your interested in.

Rest assured the smoke reports on these are very positive. The smoke is smooth and earthy with no roughness on the throat. An initial giddy high that slowly increases in intensity without those nasty palpitations, levelling out to a lasting high which is longer than an indica, this really is like a classic old school Asian Sativa. The bud itself is not the sparkly lime green crystal fest shown in most recent strains. The buds are shades of brown and copper with occasional hints of red, with the leafy look typical of a true Asian Sativa. Those of you who remember the fabled �Thai� sticks of old will definitely feel that tinge of nostalgia with this one.

We have only a limited supply and interest in this blast from the past is bound to be high! I�m sure many of you will get more than just nice plants from this strain, the appeal is there from many angles. We have decided to offer these in packs of 20 instead of the normal 10 to ensure you, the grower/breeder, have the best possible chance of finding that beautiful �keeper� and offer you the ability to retain something special available for the future.

Flowering time: The Luang Prabang farmers report that in their native environment these seeds usually finish between 11-14 weeks. Outside that environment there may be some minor deviation from these times but we believe this deviation will not be significant. For those growing indoors we recommend they are flowered at 3rd internode or as soon as the plant shows asymmetry. As potentially the first westerners to grow these strains we are confident that these will prove a valuable resource for growers and breeders alike.

Quote:

Gypsy Nirvana's Landrace Collection: Thai Stick Sativa ( Limited Edition )

In the 60's and 70's there was very little herbal cannabis available and much of what was available was known globally as "Thai Stick". It is estimated that a vast amount of all herbal cannabis sold in many places was this variety and other varieties were generally considered to be of lower quality. Rumour has it that the early thai sticks were dipped in Opium, though towards the 70's this was later changed to Cannabis Oils. What is agreed on is that the buds used to produce Thai stick were generally very good quality and often far outshone the other available brands. With the advent of home growing and better breeding methods the sticks were gradually replaced over time but not before earning themselves a place in the hearts of old time smokers and those famous canna-urban legends.

A recent trip to Thailand into the south region of the Nong Khai Province saw us meeting with some of the original farmers who grew this strain back in the 60's and 70's and offered us a priceless opportunity to both discuss the old methods and, best of all, acquire some of the progeny of those original plants. We have now brought those seeds back and would love the opportunity to offer people a chance to 'grab a slice of history' so to speak. Many times over the last 10 years we have been asked to get these and have not been able to acquire a reliable and validated source. This, i'm proud to say, is no longer the case. This limited edition batch is going to make some of you incredibly happy, of that i am in no doubt at all.

As a tropical Sativa we do not recommend you take on this strain lightly. It has not been grown and stabilised to modern western standards and retains much of it's original charm. It is simply a good, unadulterated historic strain sourced directly from those who grew the original. There may be expressions of different phenos and other issues associated with taking an indigenous strain and growing it away from it's natural environ. Before you bid on a pack of these we strongly recommend you take a moment to research strains from this area and the area itself to familiarise yourself with the plants requirements and natural environment. The reward will be a chance to relive one of the most important historic types of Sativa. Not many of us can say we have genuinely grown this for ourselves and even fewer will be able to remember the original sticks themselves ( especially after trying one! ).

As for the smoke report, well, i'm not going to sell this to you. You have no doubt heard the fond stories relating to this strain and seen the distant glazed look people in the know get when they remember this strain. I'd hate to spoil that experience by giving you a preview. You really need to try this for yourself, as a description from me would do it no justice at all.

A true gem you wont find anywhere else, we are proud to offer it to you and apologise profusely for the wait! :smile: . . . . . . . Gypsy Nirvana

Flowering 11-14 weeks

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wild type Cannabis? [Re: Sirius]
    #116858 - 09/01/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

What Sirius said. However landrace sativa's will probably be kind of schwaggy. The best sativa I've had was some weed from fiji it was like a fruity tropical meets nutty taste. I can only assume it was a pure sativa, usually I hear that land race sativa's aren't very potent and give you a headache.

I'd go for Hindu Kush which is a landrace indica, I've had it and it's very dank, I plan to grow it eventually it has a short flowering time too (40-50days) Sensiseeds says 45-50 but many people on Icmag say they have 40-42 day finishers with this strain.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChapter 4

Re: Wild type Cannabis? [Re: captain.koons]
    #116977 - 09/01/08 09:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

excellent thanks a lot!!!  i had no idea they grew native throughout asia....i am living in SE asia!

i googled its distribution and it seems to be "worldwide" or "asia"...anyone know of a list of countries its native to?  from the above i got laos, thailand, cambodia and fiji.  a field trip may just be in order next vacation :smile:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #117172 - 09/02/08 02:01 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

uh

its not just one strain.

its just like different wild indicas or sativas, key being wild and the genes not genetically modified through breeding

ex. completely natural

im sure phillipines(or any of those countries right around laos, cambodia, ect), china, india(hindu kush), pakistan ect all have landrace strains too.

I heard there were massive amounts of weed growing Iraq and the Iraqies would use it for camflauge and the Americans ended up burning copius amounts of weed (several thousand pounds) so you could look there too.

I don't even know if Fiji is a hot spot, all I know is i've smoked a pure or near pure wild growing sativa from there and it was amongst the best weed I've ever smoked.... I also never got any seeds my friend had a few but I think they weren't stored properly for at least a year before he tried to germinate them. If I ever go to fiji which I probably will one day, I'll definately hike around(pay villagers) looking for this weed.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #117180 - 09/02/08 03:58 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chapter 4 said:
i googled its distribution and it seems to be "worldwide" or "asia"...anyone know of a list of countries its native to?  from the above i got laos, thailand, cambodia and fiji.  a field trip may just be in order next vacation :smile:

Well, there are land-races acclimatized to pretty much any location on the planet, but its hard to say where it is "native" to because humans have spread it with them everywhere over the course of thousands of years. Japan, China, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Iran, Pakistan, India, countries in Africa and South America, pretty much anywhere on the Equator... Just be careful, especially in South Asia, about harsh drug laws. Definitely do your research before traveling anywhere and asking locals where the good plants and seeds are. :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #117184 - 09/02/08 06:14 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

OR..

just pay the locals for seeds and smoke!

I would't want to venture into some jungle in Africa.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChapter 4

#117186 - 09/02/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

no doubt LOL.  this country is pretty nice (the people), but the drug laws are harsh....

i will have to search for some growing here, but i have only ever even smelled someone smoking it once here in the 3 years i have been here.....ad i get around a lot.  i intend on travelling lots around se asia (tropical islands liek bornea, indonesia, phillipennes etc.  be neat  to see some growing, but i dont want a situation like the beach and the tourists lol.

i am looking into those land race strains on the websites....but i dont trust them to mail here cause if they get found......:(:(:(:(

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #117190 - 09/02/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
OR..

just pay the locals for seeds and smoke!

As I was saying, one has to be very careful with researching areas first, because in some of these countries, there can be a lot of pressure applied on locals, and, in some cases, they'll even be paid by the police to help them bust people that just pay the locals for seeds and smoke. The best way to go would be to personally know someone in the area that is much more wise about how things work there that could help you out.

I'd suggest spending time at ICMag, as there are quite a good number of international posters, to the point that they even have forums for different regions, and begin to form relationships with them, or, at the very least, read about what they talk about when it comes to these areas.

--------------------

OfflineChapter 4

#117617 - 09/03/08 07:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

good to keep in mind, for sure!

Quote:

they even have forums for different regions,

the growery could use more forums :wink:  but i guess need more members first....im from asia, if it matters lol.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #117688 - 09/03/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah man

I bet we have like 2-3 people from Asia and we probably only have a couple hundred active members compared to ICMAG's several thousand.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck