Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible0000000000000
PREVENTING MOLD GROWTH, idea with ""MYCO-TONE", other fungi, and/or small UV lights
    #783874 - 07/01/15 02:39 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

i saw this soil that has mycellium in it called myco tone and was/am wondering
maybe the mycellium will help prevent foreign mold contamination
http://www.espoma.com/myco-tone/

i was thinking about it after reading this

"Laboratory tests have shown P. semilanceata to suppress the growth of the soil-borne water mold Phytophthora cinnamomi, a virulent plant pathogen that causes the disease root rot.[37] When grown in dual culture with other saprobic fungi isolated from the rhizosphere of grasses from its habitat, P. semilanceata significantly suppresses their growth. This antifungal activity, which can be traced at least partly to two phenolic compounds it secretes, helps it compete successfully with other fungal species in the intense competition for nutrients provided by decaying plant matter.[38] Using standard antimicrobial susceptibility tests, Psilocybe semilanceata was shown to strongly inhibit the growth of the human pathogen methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). The source of the antimicrobial activity is unknown.[39]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata

"[37]
Finlay AR, McCracken AR. (1991). "Microbial suppression of Phytophthora cinnamoni". In Lucas, John. Phytophthora: Symposium of the British Mycological Society, the British Society for Plant Pathology, and the Society of Irish Plant Pathologists held at Trinity College, Dublin, September 1989. Cambridge, England: Published for the British Mycological Society by Cambridge University Press. p. 387. ISBN 0-521-40080-5.
[38]
Keay SM, Brown AE. (1989). "Interactions between Psilocybe semilanceata and fungi of its habitat". Mycological Research 93 (4): 554–56. doi:10.1016/S0953-7562(89)80054-1.
[39]
Suay I, Arenal F, Asensio FJ, Basilio A, Cabello MA, Díez MT, García JB, González del Val A, Gorrochategui J, Hernández P, Peláez F, Vicente MF. (2000). "Screening of basidiomycetes for antimicrobial activities". Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 78 (2): 129–39. doi:10.1023/A:1026552024021. PMID 11204765."

also if one puts a small aquarium UV light set to run every now and then or a low power one to be put on with the light cycle, perhaps it will control above ground contamination on leaves, stems, flowers and raise THC levels

also for the heck of it, i was wondering about the idea of a hermetic growing chamber (with sterile inlets for watering or nutrients, if needed,with uv treated reservoirs), with pre-pasteurized/sterilized soil. with a seed drop chamber or something. since the seed may carry contaminants and can't be pastuerized, maybe if it is swabbed lightly with alchol before being airlocked into the chamber which is later innoculated with the above written about mycellium to combat any later possible infections. then no smell has to be dealt with as it is hermetic and if water is need it can be loaded into the chamber, UV sterillized while sealed and then pressure equilizedly added to the grow chamber.

yea it sounds ridiculous but i bet it so cool like a space chamber or something

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PREVENTING MOLD GROWTH, idea with ""MYCO-TONE", other fungi, and/or small UV lights [Re: 0000000000000]
    #783883 - 07/01/15 08:15 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Good idea for mushroom growing but mold just isn't a big enough problem to go threw so much trouble. I've been growing since 1985 and have only had mold on buds 4 or 5 times and every time most likely cause I was to lazy to do something I should have done.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMof
Male

Re: PREVENTING MOLD GROWTH, idea with ""MYCO-TONE", other fungi, and/or small UV lights [Re: Magash]
    #784011 - 07/01/15 03:16 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I have a advanced LED light that cost me about 300 bucks
but it does both infra red and u.v. in the red wavelength
Now when ever someone mentions HPS I think about the cost effectiveness
but I really don't like all those wires hanging around.

My problem really was keeping the soil aerated
I know how sunlight, bugs and worms and stuff loosing up the soil.
The only idea I had was to mix perlite into through out the soil and keep it warm with a incadecent light bulb torwards the bottom of the pot (but outside of where the run off is caught)

Edited by Mof (07/01/15 03:17 PM)

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: PREVENTING MOLD GROWTH, idea with ""MYCO-TONE", other fungi, and/or small UV lights [Re: Mof]
    #784084 - 07/02/15 01:04 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah...use different soil entirely or water less ect...
I find its good to remove any dead/dying bottom growth as well...

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale