Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
Tex-R Agroliner - Root pruning planter bags.
    #759023 - 11/25/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

This crop I will be experimenting with Tex-R patented root pruning bags. I did a research study through my job as a horticulture research assistant on the effect of 3 different root pruning pot systems in production for nursery trees. These root pruning bags are non woven fiber coated with SpinOut.

A common problem in nursery tree production is very limited root space in container. This results in awfully deformed root balls with all sorts of strangely angled roots.
Tree roots establish growing direction at a young age and will interestingly follow the established path for the life of the tree. This means a tree root that is forced downward while growing in a pot will continue to grow downward once planted in the ground. Tree roots naturally want to grow horizontally, this provides the best access to water, air, and provides the best stability. Root bound pots trees in the nursery often have undesireable root balls that make for weak trees in the landscape because of roots being forced to grow downward, away from where water and oxygen is in the landscape, as well as ruining future stability.

Tex-R Agroliner was the root pruning pot that stood above the rest in our trials. with very great efficiency these pots were able to stop completely the lateral horizontal growth of major roots, the tip would brown off and die. Instead of the root meeting the wall of the pot and growing downward where it would normally start circling, it would die back and remain "dormant", during this time the roots produced exponential fibrous root hairs. This resulted in a larger root system by weight in the same size of pot.

So basically heres the pros:
- Stops root circling entirely.
- Stops roots from gathering at the bottom of the pot.
- Larger root system with increased fibrous roots.

Some things this helped with in the nursery was water/nutrient uptake as fibrous roots are much more efficient at feeding than the bigger root shoots are. The trees in the Tex-R pots grew bigger and bushier during the trials. They had increased pest, disease, and drought resistance. And they had less weeds invading the pots.

This experiment was done over 3 years, with over 200 trees, and over 20 species. It was very interesting to be a part of.

So I thought I would give these a shot with my cannabis. Occasionally I notice circling and grouping of roots near the bottom of pots. This should eliminate that entirely and allow for greater root mass than plastic pots of the same size. Im hoping this will mean bigger plants and a better yield than I could expect with plastic pots of the same size.

Heres the bummer: I forgot to sprout some plants for a control :facepalm:

So this grow will be mostly general observations and notes while over the next upcoming 3-5 grows I will do 3 plants in Tex-R and 3 plants in regular plastic. Meticulous notes will take place.

Anyway, thats all for now! Heres some info from their website!

Patented Technology

Tex-RĀ® membranes are composed of a Texel non-woven fabric of superior quality combined with a SpinOutĀ® coating. This patented technology is available in the form of different products for use in the production of trees, plants, in growing beds, pots-in-pots, as well as in selling areas or in-ground production zones. All these products are geared to maximizing your productivity.
Root Control

On contact with the Tex-R membrane, the roots of the young plant go dormant and thus stop developing. Rather than expanding uncontrollably outside the container, the root system grows stronger within its allocated growing space.

http://texel.ca/en/market-segments/horticulture/markets/root-and-weed-control.html

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals