Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

DIY true aero ideas
    #750527 - 09/30/14 08:08 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Instead of hijacking somebody's thread, I wanted to get some ideas for a future project.  I want to create something a little more customized to my needs while also getting some good data since information is a little hard to find on the topic. 

A couple things to note beforehand:

-This is grown under legal consent for medicinal purposes.  Even still, it is a stealth setup as a courtesy to neighbors and prevent unnecessary attention.

-This is not a cost efficient build by any means. It will also be very labor intensive. I will cut costs where I can, but the design is the priority. 

-The room is going to be 4x4x7.  Due to living in a sub-tropical climate,heat is a very big issue.  It is likely I will be swapping out my 600w air-cooled HPS out for LED grow lights.  This is something I could use a little advice on as well.

-The plants will go strait from rooting to the flower room. 

This diagram was stolen from another thread

Quote:

Magash said:

I realize this is NOT an aero setup.  This picture is very accurate with the design idea I had in mind.  I want a setup that looks similar to this, but with a true Aeroponic system instead of a flood/drain.

The idea is have 4 of these setup in 22x22 inch squares.  This will allow me to have a perpetual cycle of 2- 2 1/2 weeks depending on my strain, while the 4th quadrant will have it's own pump and rez for flushing.  The reason I want each plant to have it's own grow space is to account for malfunction(clogged sprayers from salt buildup seems to be the most common internal problem).  Instead of having an entire crop fail, only a single plant will be affected. 

I have a backup power supply since short power outages are extremely common here.  I want to put a valve on the drainage so I can flood the system just in case the power is out for a longer time than usual.
Great!  Now for the questions!

- How large should the pvc I use for the plants to sit in be?  I can't find any good pictures of fully grown aero plant's roots with no veg cycle, thus I am having difficulty fine tuning the design.

-What are some suggested sprayers for this?  I need them to be able to handle 100psi and break the nutrient molecules into 30-50 micron droplets. 

-Should I use one or two sprayers for each tube?  The placement is also a mystery for me.  Would they be better off at the top of the tube or the bottom of the tube?  I wouldn't want the roots themselves to clog the sprayers.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I know this is way to much for such a small grow room, but as a man of science, I feel compelled to do it lol.  Also, please double note when you respond that this is for a High-Pressure Aeroponic setup, not a Low-Pressure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: cheezymold]
    #750541 - 09/30/14 08:45 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Your talking about a setup nobody here has so I don't think you're gonna get to many answers. I have 30 years growing but I don't advise if I haven't done it and I definitely haven't done this. I'll be honest it seems like your creating a huge  pain in the ass. Then again I do love the man of science thing so I hope for the best with your grow. :thumbup:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: Magash]
    #750575 - 10/01/14 04:36 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Ive built an aeroponic cloner or 2 but not a whole plant system..  the rootmass would be heavy so dont use the cheap pvc.  :smirk:

youre going to need a water cooling system because the pumps will heat up your water.

sprayer nozzles will have to be bigger than the ez clone sprayer nozzles I use and they clog just with particulates in the water.  I have the sprayers up high on the roots for more of a drench than a direct spray or the roots will strangle your sprayers out should they be underneath the root zone spraying upwards.

many netpots and neoprene collars for plant supports

seems a dwc setup would suit your needs better imo.  :shrug:

http://hygrohybrid.com/video/series/dwc/welcome-matrix/?fb_action_ids=1509118495970249&fb_action_types=news.publishes&fb_ref=pub-standard

:2cents:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: 13buds] * 1
    #750577 - 10/01/14 05:36 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I don't believe he's talking about spraying the way a ez-cloner does I believe he's talking about the kind that puts out a mist similar to the type put out by a ultrasonic humidifier.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#750650 - 10/01/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

this could be too small for cannabis but seems cheap and easy and might at least inspire or lead to links of other cheap easy aeorponics. this video is actually really long, but the how to is in there.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #753036 - 10/14/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I did make an "aero" cloner already, but it is quite different than true aero.  I have never seen cannabis grown with it personally, but I did attend a tech demo at NASA(not sure if the event was funded by NASA or just rented space) with tomato and lettuce and it seems pretty impressive.  They claim that it was engineered specifically to grow plants in outer space. 

With that in mind, large droplets would not be suitable for this.  I won't ever grow anything in outer space, but the design can be adapted by considering the intended grow environment.  Thus, I will need a sealed root area and the nutrient solution will need to be broken into droplets similar to fog. 

From what I understand, this method will allow the roots the most oxygen and nutrient absorption, which in theory, would promote stronger growth.

Besides my environmental challenges, I will likely have a lot of trial and error with this.  The nutrients will need to be changed out more often and the PH is known to shift rapidly.  Any malfunctions will result in a dead plant even if it is for a short time. 

It is okay that I do not have all of the information up-front.  The purpose of this grow will be for testing.  If it goes well, I may adapt my entire system.  Due to cost, I likely wont have the funds until the summer(college is fucking expensive). 

Once I do set it up, I will post a detailed log with construction details and grow comparisons.

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

#753141 - 10/15/14 07:07 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I dont get why all the trial and error when you can make a nice aero set up for about $150 or buy one for about double that..  :shrug:

they have aero kits so you dont have to test it.  :blazed:

I use an aeroponics cloner that I built, no testing or trial and error stuff here, it just works...  what am I missing that seems the OP is making it harder to grow for no reason?  :confused2:

:bonghit2:

--------------------
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: 13buds]
    #753168 - 10/15/14 11:03 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

As once again stated, I am NOT looking for a sprayer "aero" system.  These are not true aeroponic systems. 

The process involves HIGH PRESSURE of 80-240PSI.  So many of these advertised aero systems are akin to spraying the roots with a garden hose. 

The other point, if you read my previous posts, is that it is highly customized to suit my needs.  I have yet to find anything that suits my needs.  Anything that even comes close to mind will cost me well over $300. 

Don't get me wrong, what people keep suggesting to me is an excellent and inexpensive solution for rooting my clones(which I also stated I built one and currently using), but this simply isn't true aeroponics. 

The pump alone for this system costs $100.  I will also need a pressure switch for it.  A pressure regulator and solenoid to prevent the pump from having to build the pressure up each time and allowing equal water and pressure between the nozzles.  For nozzles that will handle 100PSI, they cost about $20 each.  I will need a large AIRTIGHT reservoir, pressure lines that also handle 100PSI, and then the materials to build it and something for the plants to actually grow in.  No matter how I look at it, these parts are well over $150.

The purpose of the testing is because people are doing something different and calling it aeroponics.  Low-pressure aero is not real aero.  There should not be any large droplets accumulated on the roots after being sprayed.  The spray schedule is typically 2 seconds on, 5 minutes off. 

Now with that being said, I would love to see pictures of this aeroponics setup you made, pump and all.  I could be mistaken and you could actually have a real aero setup, in which case, I apologize for being defensive.  I don't appreciate being belittled though.

Edit: sorry I didn't pay attention but you were the one that posted the aero cloner above.  This simply isn't the same technology.  This design could be adapted to true aero, but it really doesn't suit my needs.

Edited by cheezymold (10/15/14 11:11 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #753207 - 10/15/14 12:44 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Smaller droplets then any pump set-up

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

#753215 - 10/15/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

thats how I used to humidify my mini greenhouse for mushrooms :yesnod:

when I think of aeroponics this is what I think of..  gravity fed recirculating systems..
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/documents/barrel-ponics.pdf

it just seems overly complicated no matter the "needs" to grow some plants :shrug:
but what do I know... :stoner:

:plur:

--------------------

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: DIY true aero ideas [Re: 13buds]
    #753221 - 10/15/14 01:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
Quote:

Magash said:

thats how I used to humidify my mini greenhouse for mushrooms :yesnod:

when I think of aeroponics this is what I think of..  gravity fed recirculating systems..
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/documents/barrel-ponics.pdf

it just seems overly complicated no matter the "needs" to grow some plants :shrug:
but what do I know... :stoner:

:plur:

If you use something like this for mushrooms, you have a good idea of how fine I want my mist to be.  The recirculating systems are fine don't get me wrong.  In honesty, it is simply an expensive preference seeing that there are already a ton of effective hydro solutions. 

I wonder if the fogger would be as effective as the high pressure spray.  Would the water evaporate and leave the nutrients in the res?  Also, would the low pressure mist be able to penetrate the root mass? 

The whole purpose of this for me is research.  It seems like this technology is promising, so I would like to conduct my tests to see how well I can adapt the system.  It is my nature to tinker with things I work with.  My major is biochemistry and I'm considering a minor in mechanical engineering.  Once cannabis is legalized, I might even be able to apply for research funding from the U.S. government.  The more I can learn in the mean time, the more likely I will be able to convince them to give me money lol.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #753228 - 10/15/14 02:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

The foggers are already being used for plants so I believe the nutrients do get into the fog. I'm not sure if the water actually evaporates or not with those plates cause they don't heat up they use vibration some how. I believe the process is called fogponics when used with plants. Just seems like a hell of a lot less of a pain in the ass then all the high pressure stuff. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck