Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

plant sex question
    #654113 - 01/07/13 10:11 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hey 2 questions about plant sex

1) at what stage do the plants start showing signs of there sex?
is it in the vegging or the flowering?

2) with getting fem seeds is it 100% chance of getting female or is it less? if less about what % chance would u say do I have of getting a female plant? want to see is it worth spending the extra money for a fem seed v.s a non fem seed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: plant sex question [Re: Mrshroom]
    #654115 - 01/07/13 10:21 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well I learned that they pre flower in veg before flowering stage.This happened on my last grow.I just wait till they go into next stage to sex them. I only order one time from a seed back got good results. All fem so far. But the % has to be better than not right?

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Middle east coast
Re: plant sex question [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #654116 - 01/07/13 10:33 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If plants veg long enough to become sexually mature, they may show pre-fowers in veg.  Many indoor growers don't veg that long and don't find out gender until after the flip on seed runs. 

If you buy tested fem seeds from a quality breeder, then they should be all female.  If you got to the attitude seed bank and buy something like "super kush purple thunder bud fem" then you're probably signing up for a problem.

As in any other situation, I'd recommend that a newer grower not buy/grow any seeds that he/she hasn't seen numerous test grows of. This is doubly true for fem seeds.  I've seen all females, all males, 50/50 male/female, and all hermies come out of a pack of 'fem' seeds.  Ace and Cannabiogen are examples of breeders who do feminized seeds right.  They also both have breeder forums at icrag where you can see tons of grows before you buy.  Just one example, though.

--------------------
I used to grow pot.  I still do grow pot, but I used to grow it too.
*Seedsharer*
You got my cheez whiz, boy?

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#654117 - 01/07/13 10:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

well I will be vegging my plants for 2 months.. cause im going to try to do is get it so that I will be harvesting 3-4 plants every month by rotating crops every month.  so I will always have two sets in vegging and two sets in flowering.

Offlinecannabis_seeds
Stranger
 User Gallery

#654123 - 01/07/13 12:10 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Feminized refers to how the cannabis were bred. This usually means they were treated with a chemical agent or by using female pollen from a female plant that was forced to change sex.

That's why the seeds are called feminized instead of simply female, and why a seed can be 100% feminized but still turn out to be a male or a hermaphrodite.

When any cannabis seed or plant is stressed, it has a natural tendancy to change sex to make sure it can reproduce even if it's the only one around. That's where the term "stable" comes in - the more stable a feminized seed, the more stress it takes to make it turn into a hermaphrodite.

Some breeders produce more stable seeds - and some growers are better at not stressing their plants.  Kind of a quick explanation as to why people get mixed results from the same batch of seeds.

This, of course, is all from what I've read - it's illegal for us to grow in the UK. But, I thought I'd toss a little theory your way to go with everyone else's practical experience.

While Rhino Seeds sells mostly feminized seeds (that's what UK customers want), I don't personally see anything wrong with regular seeds as long as you get the hang of sexing them. According to pictures I've seen, it doesn't look too difficult to tell the difference. Maybe someone here can point you to some good pics - if not, PM me & I'll send you the link to a really good explanation with excellent pictures.

--------------------
Cannabis Seeds| Delivered discreetly WORLD WIDE!

Cannabis seeds | Buy Marijuana Seeds from the #1 UK Online Store

Follow us on twitter for special offers on premium beans.

Check our Gorilla Seeds Blog for the latest news.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plant sex question [Re: cannabis_seeds]
    #654129 - 01/07/13 12:54 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

They usually show sex in veg between 4-8 weeks.  I just popped 9 normal seeds and I got 4 females, took a full 8 weeks for the last one to show. 

It's easy to tell as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: plant sex question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #654130 - 01/07/13 12:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

well I from what ive read on telling the diff between male and female does not look to hard.. its either two white hairs or some balls.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#654131 - 01/07/13 12:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hawk do you use reg seed or do you use fem seeds? do u think its worth the extra money to buy fem seeds? to start my frist grow with? cause after im just going to use clones after from mother plants

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #654132 - 01/07/13 12:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, Although I still stare at theses males and keep hoping  :feelsbadman:

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plant sex question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #654134 - 01/07/13 01:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I always use regular, especially since you're going to go with a mother afterwards. 

If you were just gonna do grow after grow starting from seeds, then sure, go with feminized, I wouldn't pay the extra money for em though.

Just get 10 seeds pop em and you'll prolly get a 50/50 male to female ratio, or something close to it.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds